2 of 2
2012 Flite 15m and 17.5m performance tested
Posted: 08 September 2013 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-09-03

Freeride. This was my first experience with below-the-bar depower, and I have to say I don’t like going back to my Cabrinha bars!

You want to trim the kite with the stopper so that it’s just luffing (if that’s the right word) with the bar on the stopper. If it’s too far away to grab the bar, adjust the trim. You can give yourself more depower throw at the bar, but you just risk luffing the kite and losing control.

It’s a great bar, the Freeride - simple, uncluttered and you can service everything yourself.

I’ve just noticed that the trim strap on my Cab bar is almost ripped through - also need to replace the main depower line… that means I have to buy the PU tube with the QR knob to get the 6mm Amsteel, and the trim strap comes with the pull-pull lines, buckles etc so it’s not going to be cheap!!!

Posted: 30 November 2013 11:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2007-07-09

Hello crew, I know this is an old post, but some of you have been riding similar kites to those I have and still am riding and I am looking for some specific comparisons if anyone could help.  I am coming to the end of a trip with lighter winds than ever and I am now considering a big kite again (thought my 14M 2007 Rise would be good for the lightest I wanted to ride in, but that changes after weeks of less than 10 knots).

The flight kites (years if you think they differ in the bar pressure area), what is the bar pressure compared to the 2007 Rises and 2011 Razors?

I borrowed an 17M Ozone Zephyr (sorry, I was desperate) and felt bar pressure I had not felt in some time.  Not as bad as the early crossbows (hard to forget that workout), maybe like the OR Ones.  I liked it though actually.  It was nice to be able to pull that bar in to the chicken loop and not experience any back flying.

I was thinking of maybe one of the 2013 flights, but maybe the (2nd gen Prodigy look alike)?

BTW, the Prodigy line sure does have a similar look to the old Ones (quite a bit more arc though eh?).

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Signature 

2007 Rise 14M, 12M, 10M and 7M One
Pyro Pro

Posted: 01 December 2013 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-09-03
kontinuous - 30 November 2013 11:59 PM

Hello crew, I know this is an old post, but some of you have been riding similar kites to those I have and still am riding and I am looking for some specific comparisons if anyone could help.  I am coming to the end of a trip with lighter winds than ever and I am now considering a big kite again (thought my 14M 2007 Rise would be good for the lightest I wanted to ride in, but that changes after weeks of less than 10 knots).

The flight kites (years if you think they differ in the bar pressure area), what is the bar pressure compared to the 2007 Rises and 2011 Razors?

I borrowed an 17M Ozone Zephyr (sorry, I was desperate) and felt bar pressure I had not felt in some time.  Not as bad as the early crossbows (hard to forget that workout), maybe like the OR Ones.  I liked it though actually.  It was nice to be able to pull that bar in to the chicken loop and not experience any back flying.

I was thinking of maybe one of the 2013 flights, but maybe the (2nd gen Prodigy look alike)?

BTW, the Prodigy line sure does have a similar look to the old Ones (quite a bit more arc though eh?).

Thoughts would be appreciated.

The only thing I can add is a bit of clarity - the 2013 Flites are 4-strut and Razor-like, 2014 Flites are more like the Prodigy… 3-struts - boo!
Bar pressure is medium - I can easily fly the 2013 Flite 17.5 one-handed… I use it on the “middle” setting - find it too light on the lightest; a little vague and I’m inclined to pull the bar so hard, it rotates the kite. Might be good on the directional :D

My other kites are 2011 Crossbows… much lighter bar pressure than the 2010, which was much lighter than the earlier ones. In fact, the Crossbows are almost a prefect balance for me.

The 2014 Flite is of course lighter so should have a more reliable bottom end… but I dig the 2013 smile

2 of 2

‹‹ High wind kite      pressure ››