OR ...Snow?

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2006-10-13

PM

I realise you have to walk before you can run so maybe i’m jumping the gun here for an already very busy company, but I was just wondering, having been riding OR and paying attention to the Kiteboarding industry for around a year now, why OR don’t market anything to the snow side of the sport, whether it be in their advertising or their gear?

OR already makes great water boards and Canada is a snow country for sure with a history of ski and snowboard making not to mention technical winter clothing and gear and i get the impression OR is getting big in Europe - so anything in the line for OR kitesnowboards etc or just marketing that way at all?

Just wanted to put it out there and see what you guys thought.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I definatly second that!!
It would be great to see an OR snowkite. I’m thinking ram air here, as pumping up in -25 in Edmonton sucks, and deflating is nearly impossible.

Perhaps the OR desingers could look at something like the Peter Lynn Venom, or Phantom, no bridles, easy set up etc.

Cheers
Derek

Signature

If it doesn’t blow it sucks!

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

My OR kites are the only ones that pump up nicely in the cold, no balls in the valves, but then, I’ve never been out in minus 25 with a kite! That is fricken cold! The air should be denser at that temperature shouldn’t it?
I like that.
When do your eyeballs start to freeze?

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

you have to be dense to go out in-25

Signature

If it doesn’t blow it sucks!

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2006-10-13

PM

Or desperate!! I hope i’m not dense!

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I don’t think you are dense… just driven by the invisible force.
Its amazing what becomes possible when the wind blows.

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

We spend a lot of time on the snow and ice here on the East Coast of Canada.  I’ve never had any problem pumping up kites in the snow.  However, the coldest that we get here is about -8 celcius.

I’ve yet to try the Ones in the snow but based on their water performance feel that Ocean Rodeo doesn’t need to produce a foil.

The main advantage over traditional C kites will be the reverse launch.

Can’t wait till snow!

Brad

Signature

St. John’s Newfoundland

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2006-10-14

PM

yeh the Uni club here at swansea are planning to have a little snow kiting trip so will be tacking my OR ONE to the mountains and give it a test on snow :D i really cant wait

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

Ok, no crazy jokes, but there were a few of us out in -25 (-40 with windchill) with 25 to 30km/h northerly winds today!!
I have to admit that I tend to fly the foils when it gets this cold, just due to setup and tear down time.  That being said, I’m usually riding my 12m One all winter long.  LOVE how smooth and floaty the jumps are on it, and have never had a problem with tubes poping or anything.  Only thing you need to watch out for (if you ride a lot on snow) is that the leading edge will wear much quicker than on water.  With the bows / sle kites, relaunching often requires you sending the kite back and forth, sliding on the LE to flip it over (as there is not enough friction to hold it in one place).  Even that though mostly occurs on the scuff pads!!  Doubt that was by design, but it works perfectly.  Nicely done Ross / OR.

Jeff

Signature

Jeff Doepker
www.kitesource.ca

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

Ah… I’d almost forgotten, Dan from Skypilotkiteboarding.com got some good shots of the One snowkiting.  Ya, that’s me in the photos.

Signature

Jeff Doepker
www.kitesource.ca