Strut Rupture

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Hello, just had a ‘08 8m rise have a strut seam pop. The kite was just pumped up, and not over pumped, and it was cool out.

It was a used kite, I’ve had for 2 years, and not abused, but flown maybe 12 times, and not crashed hard into the water recently.

The bladder became swollen up instantly through the rip, but didn’t burst, but was easily 40cm in diameter. I let the air out and the bladder still seemed intact.

So 2 questions, should the strut bladder be replaced (because of the stretching, even though it’s not leaking), and should the kite be considered repairable? I know it’s an inexpensive fix, but I guess I wonder if this is a sign that the kite is aging, and should be replaced, i.e., other seams are at risk now, or is it just one of those things. The kite appears in great shape otherwise.

Thanks.

George

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2009-11-16

PM

I have bin using OR kites for teaching for 6 years and I beat the **** out of them with on problems.
I inspect all my kites regularly and have had to do some maintenance repair on some of my kites when ever I see the seem thread starting to go.  I personally would replace or reinforce with tape, the bladder if it has stretch marks.

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Thanks for the advice. I’ll check it over after it’s repaired, and will get a new bladder. It has some impressive stretch marks. I don’t know how it didn’t pop!

Cheers,

George

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2012-03-21

PM

George,

I recently had a similar incident: my 12m 08 OR was sitting on the beach and EXPLODED. The second strut to the main ripped out a good 8 inches. This was a little used kite. After “chatting” to others about it, someone said that it was possible that it has been under inflated (hence the bend at that location on the seam). Others say that leaving kites sitting on the beach w/ strong wind will lay those struts down and cause the same affect. I had another strut reinforced as it also looked weak. Do you know what OR has to say about this?

Margie

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

margie - 26 March 2012 03:25 PM

George,

I recently had a similar incident: my 12m 08 OR was sitting on the beach and EXPLODED. The second strut to the main ripped out a good 8 inches. This was a little used kite. After “chatting” to others about it, someone said that it was possible that it has been under inflated (hence the bend at that location on the seam). Others say that leaving kites sitting on the beach w/ strong wind will lay those struts down and cause the same affect. I had another strut reinforced as it also looked weak. Do you know what OR has to say about this?

Margie

Margie, thanks for the advice. I think this may have happened, in fact soon after I went out on my 6m, so it was windy.

George