Stiff deflate valve below freezing
Posted: 03 February 2012 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2010-10-14

Hi, anyone have much experience with the Rises in the cold?  My 2010’s seem to have pretty stiff material in the deflate valve.  I’m not talking about super cold, but even in -10C, I push the deflate valve really hard and usually figure once it is half in, based on how hard I pushed, it’s not going to come open, so I do up the velcro over it.  Maybe one day the valve will open on me.  I know that even on other kites I used to ride, those valves do get brittle in the cold, so I’m trying to prolong their life.

One thing I thought of was to take off the flapper on the inflate valve, and just leave the deflate closed for the winter (can that be done easily?).  I can deal with the lack of flapper on a one-pump, BUT, that brings up 2 questions:
- will the deflate valve stretch out over time and get loose if it is closed for months?
- does my risk of popping open the inflate valve in warmer summer riding go up with no flapper behind it?

Thx,
Peter

Posted: 03 February 2012 12:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Peter - One option may be to keep a Bic pen handy. Pull the ink out and the end cap off so you basically have a tube and use it to slip into the inflate valve’s opening. This will let you drain the air without damaging the back draft valve head. . . It’s just a thought!

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 03 February 2012 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2008-04-13

the plastic will memorize it’s molded shape if it’s not stretched beyond a certain extend, hot or cold. I wouldn’t worry about that.
If the whole thing is too hard you can break something so be careful. Maybe try some PVC grease on there.

Posted: 03 February 2012 11:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-14

Thanks for the idea, so PVC grease could help it slide in?  After a quick google search I’m not finding much on the grease.  Who normally uses it and sells it?

I also wondered if i can take an old deflate valve (just the plug part) and build in a screw fitting, and then pop it out for summer use, so the old plug has a scew out section in the middle.  Might be a long shot, I haven’t checked into that too closely.

Peter

Posted: 03 February 2012 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-13

PVC grease as used by plumbers to slide PVC pipes in, I think it’s silicone grease or so. Hardware store should have it.
Maybe acid free vaseline will do it, but I’m not sure if the pvc valve resists it.
The crew cap idea is great, let us know what you build!

Posted: 03 February 2012 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-10-14

I just had a quick look at my 2010 Rise and at a kitefix valve.  The Kitefix plug is basically hollow, while the 2010 Rise has a hollow tip, but 2/3 of it is a solid plug.  That means it will have much less flex and less able to be compressed into the hole when cold and stiff.  I’m not sure if it is the same on all 3 of my 2010’s, but I’m guessing it is.

I have some silicon grease, for sealing a waterproof gasket on my old helmet cam.  Should I try that or is it a bad idea?

Peter

Posted: 03 February 2012 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-13

I don’t think the silicone grease will harm the valve. But never sure, as there are a lot of types of PVC out there, with different plasticizers.
trying some other plugs is also a good idea!
ciao, Rudo

Posted: 27 January 2013 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-03-21

Well i just ripped the little pull tab straight off my totally stiff deflate valve on my 2011 ocean rodeo today less than 12 sessions since new, same situation , hard to put in all the way all winter and not very cold out, no gloves or googles. Plus i notice that there is no replacement valves for sale by OR :(

Posted: 28 January 2013 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-05-14

Hey all,

I have a 2011 Rise, flite, and 2 2012 Razors.

i’m in Manitoba, so I ride in weather as cold as -45 with the wind-chill (and I was out last week in these conditions.)

This is my first winter riding season with this kite. The little tab for the deflate valve is long gone, and now, the last time I tried taking out the plug I started noticing the plug itself was actually cracking in half, meaning that the plug is soon going to start leaking no matter what.

Thoughts? A softer, more flexible or rubberized solution might be the answer. What is the harm in having a more rubbery plastic than a hard plastic? I have a hard time (if not impossible) to plug in the valve when it is cold, and i’ve been told not to put in deflate plug while it is in my house warm. (I’m guessing cause if there is any moisture what so ever in that plug when it is warm and I put it in, it aint coming out in -30…)

My solution, I’m going to use the pen tip idea until summer comes, then I’m probably going to keep using the pen tip idea which doesn’t seem ideal.

No replacement plugs eh? Well…  That’s going to have to change in about 5 more sessions if I don’t use the pen tip idea.
Are there replacement plugs that are generic? Or is OR going to provide a complete kite repair option?

Posted: 29 January 2013 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  505
Joined  2006-01-19

How about pouring some warm water from a thermos onto the valve body. Or piss on it !!!

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 29 January 2013 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-08-06

Just put it in your mouth for a second, problem solved..

Posted: 29 January 2013 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2012-07-28

On of the things I do after a snowkite session or a cold kiteboarding session when drying the kite is to close the deflate valve after it’s dried and rolled/folded up and it’s warm.  Then when I’m out in the cold again it’s already closed and there is no struggle or worry.  I fly 2010, 11 & 12 Rises - last week we were out at 0.  After a session, in order to deflate though I “walk” the valve open - taking care not to damage or stretch the opening.

Posted: 14 February 2013 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2012-05-14

Manitoba here. in -30, my 2011 rise and flite valves are almost rock,cracking if i try to deflate.

pen trick works… on the inflate valve, but   be careful in -30. it’s stiff.

i noticed a marked inproovement in the deflate valve material inthe 2013 prodigy i just bought. 9.5. love it. oh my god.

love the 2012 razor 12m… nice as well. it’s only been -15 when i"ve riden that. so the valve hasnt really been cold tested….

the valve on the prodigy is softer and more flexible. seems like some work hasgon into this item….