Unusual wear on centerline
Posted: 07 December 2011 05:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2008-05-24

I am curious if anyone has experienced unusual centerline wear with the 2011 freestyle bar?  I love all of Ocean Rodeo products and
support, but a bit annoyed having to replace the fraying centerline after only about 20 sessions. I have checked the inside of the
bushing and it feels smooth. I have coated the line with surfboard wax as well.

Posted: 07 December 2011 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2011-04-13

Wrong wax, dude.  Surfboard wax?!  I’ve heard of people coating the depower line with paraffin wax for waterproofing and to reduce friction because it’s ...... slippery!  I’m amazed you got 20 sessions using surfboard wax as it’s ....... sticky.

Posted: 08 December 2011 02:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

It’s actually due to the stopper ball that this is happening - one of the reasons we removed the sliding stopper from the freestyle bar. The throw on that bar is so short it is not really needed and we found that it was holding the trim line apart and lead to the bar bushing wearing the line out faster than with other bars in our line up where the stopper sits higher and it is less common for the bar to rub up against it.

The best thing to do is to remove the stopper and - if need be - replace the trim line. If you wish to leave the trim line you have on the bar and remove the sliding stopper an effective - if unconventional - method is to put the bar in the freezer and then use a hammer on the stopper ball on concrete to crack it off the line… Otherwise, as mentioned, replacing the trim line and just not bothering to reinstall the stopper is a good option too!

John Z

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 08 December 2011 02:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2008-05-24

Yea Gavin, kind of thought it was a bit sticky but I have seen that advice given on other forums as well.  Maybe I will try paraffin
wax next as I like having the stopper even on the short throw of the freestyle bar.

Posted: 08 December 2011 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2006-10-24

Surf board wax has done the job for me in the past.

I see an experiment coming.

Signature 

The only kiter in the Village

Posted: 09 December 2011 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2011-04-13

Buy some candles, melt them down in a pot and drag the depower line thru it.  Squeegie as you go.  Let me know how you make out.  Anything’s got to be better than surfboard wax.

BTW, I own a paper converting factory that makes waxed paper soo ... I know a bit about wax.  Like any commodity there are diffferent grades , in this case, based on purity.  The cheapie candles made in China are probably gonna smell like roses with a hint o’ refinery.  So you might want to go all out and pick the heavily scented candles.  Oh yeah, don’t over heat the wax or it will blow up in your face.  The flash point is not that high. Seriously.

Posted: 10 December 2011 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-12-03

try using sailkote.  The wax you are using may bee too soft and will attract and hold sand which is the abrasive that is wearing your line.

http://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/

Posted: 11 December 2011 05:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2008-04-13

Guys be very careful heating dyneema, it will degrade at over 120 deg C.

Posted: 16 December 2011 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2008-04-20

Like Rudo said be carefull with wax.
Heat the wax in a jar “au bain marie” so the temp will not raise above 95-99 degrees C. Take the jar out the water and the put the depowerrope in and lett it soak up the wax. temp below 90 degrees is better.
Works great on “above the bar depower” no wear anymore.
But be carefull with belowe the bar solution and stoppers.. the stopper can disfunction.. (will not glide that easy cause the rope gets thicker) also the pulling the depower below the bar will be difficult (my experience)
Sailkote is too expensive and it looked for me like it don’t works..

Posted: 16 December 2011 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-12-03
Janus - 16 December 2011 03:19 PM

Like Rudo said be carefull with wax.
Heat the wax in a jar “au bain marie” so the temp will not raise above 95-99 degrees C. Take the jar out the water and the put the depowerrope in and lett it soak up the wax. temp below 90 degrees is better.
Works great on “above the bar depower” no wear anymore.
But be carefull with belowe the bar solution and stoppers.. the stopper can disfunction.. (will not glide that easy cause the rope gets thicker) also the pulling the depower below the bar will be difficult (my experience)
Sailkote is too expensive and it looked for me like it don’t works..

I think the wax solution can work if you have some really nice hard wax and it is inexpensive, especially if you just use scraps of old candles or maybe some old ski glide wax.  A 16 oz can of sailkote is $20 USD.  This is pretty much a lifetime supply for all your kite gear and can be applied in about 10 seconds.  I can assure you, it does work very well.

Posted: 05 January 2012 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-07-03

Hi,
Besides the issue concerning the removal of the stopper ball on the new freestyle bars, Pariffin wax has worked for me to reduce wear on OR trim lines since 2003.
There’s no cheaper wax and it is very slippery and quite persistent.
I’ve just cold worked the wax into the rope by rubbing it up and down on the line held taught, especially before the bars first use, but I’m sure soaking it in 90’ Pariffin would work even better, as long as your careful while doing it.
I rinse my bar off after a session too.
My trim lines and bars have lasted years.
Happy New Year.

James H.