Suggested Kite and Bar for newbie
Posted: 03 December 2011 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-12-03

Hey all;

I am headed from Anchorage AK to La Ventana and Pescadero in a week.  I am looking for recommendations for a kite (model and size) and bar before heading down.  Will be kiting in La Ventana, BVI’s next month, and hopefully something I can use for snow kiting here in AK. 

Anyone familiar with La Ventana winds?

I am 5’11”, 170, pretty athletic.  My spouse is 5’6” and 130, more athletic than me unfortunately.

Thinking Razor kites though what would be a general-purpose size for the first kite to the quiver for each of us?  Suggested bar?

Thanks in advance.

Jaime

Posted: 03 December 2011 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-12-03

I think you would be well set up with the Rise.  It is a great all around kite that is beginner friendly with plenty of range.  For the two of you, I would think a quiver of 3 kites, 12, 9, 7 would set you up well.  When you are on the 12 your partner will be on the 9.  You on the 9, she’s on the 7.  If the 7 is the right kite for you, your partner will be out of luck.  Use what ever bar is recommended for the kites.  I am not a fan of making the bar selection a science project.
I have a similar situation with two kiters in my family and I have a quiver of 12, 10 and 8 and sometimes wish it was a bit more spread out from 12 to 7 meter.  You will probably be using the 9 and 7 in la Ventana but for the BVI you will want the larger kite.

Posted: 04 December 2011 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-06-15

I would agree with “Oldcolonial ” with the exception of the 12 Rise . I would go 12 Razor.  The reasons is the Razor has the better bottom end and faster turning which will make marginal days on a Rise possible this will increase you wind range of the Quiver 12 Razor 9 m Rise works really well. 9M Rise will work with either a 6m or 7m ,Depends how strong the winds you intend to use.
I would take a big and small bar. Above the bar Depower go Freestyle Be;ow the bar depower either the freeride or fusion work well. The Fusion being my own choice

Posted: 04 December 2011 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2008-11-09

Agree with sunrise, I have a 12/8m Razor combo, but the 12m Razor definitely has more grunt than the 12m Rise. Just keep in mind it’s not as good upwind as the Rise. The 9m Rise is good for gusty winds, whereas the 8m Razor feels those gusts a bit more.

Posted: 05 December 2011 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

You will have a great time when there too! Be sure to look for the OR flag in the campground (about halfway up the beach) and stop in to say hi to Rob and Deb there. If you carry on a bit further North too you will see Captain Kirks, he’s an LA dealer of ours who spends the winters there. In both cases, I am sure they will be stoked to meet you!

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 05 December 2011 11:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-12-03

@John - We will be staying at Captain Kirks and for the week before heading to Pescadero for surfing.  I will say hello.  Surf is pretty slow in Pescadero/Todos Santos, so we might be spending more time on the Cortez side. 

Pretty stoked for an early winter trip as we just had 118mph winds and warm rain here in Alaska!  So much for our great early season snow and freezing of the lakes!

Jaime