Trouble Depowering 12m Rise w/ Freeride Bar

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

george - 16 March 2012 03:22 AM

I’m having problems depowering a 2010 or 2011 freeride bar. It was new, and has never worked well. I have 2 older OR bars that work like butter. I’ve put a handle on the end of the trim line, waxed it, kept the stopper away from the pulley, made sure the pulley is smooth, kept the trim lines untwisted, went downwind, depowered the kite, pulled the line downward first…just about everything suggested on this, and other threads.

It seems like the line is too thick for the path through the chickenloop. I avoid using this bar, which is a problem because the lines are immaculate, and I like the feel of the bar. Am I going to have to fork out for a newer chickenloop, or do I drill out the pathway? (I don’t want to do this at all, but am a little desperate to fix this bar.)

Thanks very much.

George

I’ve had problems with the same generation bar. I’ve read instructions for disassembling and smoothing/opening up the path of the depower cord. I don’t depower a lot and can usually get it done albeit with a lot more hassle than you’d want so I’ve never been motivated enough to spend the time/hassle.

I appreciate your dilema neither spending a bunch of $$ or a bunch of time fixing the issue is a great option.

safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi George,
I have discovered that using the bar in sandy conditions will eventually smoothen up the internal line routing so trimming becomes easier over time.
You should be able to grind the pathway of the line by running a 5mm line back and forth through it with a handful of sand and some water.
Probably the easiest to do.
The line is not too thick, the hole is Ø6.5 and the line under Ø5mm when tensioned.
Let us know how you go,
Rudo

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

El Rudo - 02 April 2012 07:04 AM

Hi George,
I have discovered that using the bar in sandy conditions will eventually smoothen up the internal line routing so trimming becomes easier over time.
You should be able to grind the pathway of the line by running a 5mm line back and forth through it with a handful of sand and some water.
Probably the easiest to do.
The line is not too thick, the hole is Ø6.5 and the line under Ø5mm when tensioned.
Let us know how you go,
Rudo

Thanks for the advice. I will try this, and continue to use it and look forward to the smooth action that my other OR bars have.

George

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2008-11-25

PM

Just a quick update in case others have the same problem. I’ve discovered in my case the rubber cover from the swivel that stretches over the pulley was too tight, and was binding up the trim line as it tried to slide through.

I simply stretched the rubber up and off the lower part of the pulley apparatus, and voila…butter action! The line will pull through easily when under a lot of tension, but when pulled with low tension, such as when going downwind and sheeting out, like one does when overpowered, it simply won’t go over the pulley.

I note the older bars have a cloth cover that’s looser, so it’s never an issue.

Bar feels great now.