Pyro surf for hard SUP paddling—too hot?
Posted: 27 November 2011 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2007-05-26

I am about ready to replace my ancient Kokotat and really like the idea of the surf drysuit for all-around (kiting, windsurfing, SUP) use.  My only concern is whether the suit is a lot hotter than a regular bag drysuit in moderate air temperatures.  I want to use it for winter paddling in cold water when the air might be in the 50s (10-15 Celsius) and am concerned that I might just get too hot unless I jump in the water frequently.

Anybody have experience doing non-surf paddling in the surf drysuit? Is it a lot hotter than a pyro pro or other breathable bag suit?  Thanks for any help!

Andy

Posted: 27 November 2011 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2011-05-17

In my experience, no, the suit is not too hot for “flat water” SUP’ing with the right under layers.

Because the under layers can be taylored for the ambient conditions, just like any other bag drysuit, it acts much like any other drysuit.

I generally run pretty hot (I sweat!) more than most of my buddies.

I have worn as little as “silky” long underwear under the DrySurf and as much as OR’s “heater” full thermal base layer.

These layers have handled me fine. I do tend to have a bit of condensation in my suit after a warmer session, certainly not anything that makes me unhappy.

..hope this helps you. DAVE

Signature 

“been there, done that”.......now I kite

Posted: 27 November 2011 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2007-05-26

Thanks!  That is quite helpful.

One more question—can you keep separate top and bottom layers fitting well easily, or do they move around so much putting the two layers on that a one-piece (like the OR) is worth the money?  I have plenty of merino and polypro layers and would not buy the OR unless the separate layers are too much of a hassle to keep from moving around.

Posted: 28 November 2011 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2011-05-17

First I must say that donning the suit is easy. Your separate layers will not be an issue while putting it on. The issue may come after some activity in the suit when a separate top may ‘ride up’. I say “may”.

Secondly, I must say that the OR heater product has the perfect amount of stretch. Not too stretchy..not too ‘stable’. I love my “Heater”. I would not be embarrased to wear it as pajamas….....and I have often worn it under my street clothes “apres.-surf”, for the drive home or catching a meal after a session.

Do not hesitate to purchase one…...OR don’t make no junk!!!!

Signature 

“been there, done that”.......now I kite

Posted: 28 November 2011 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-10-30

The undies are worth it.

I want a second set just to have ready when the one I’m in gets to smellin! 

Have also used very light merino layer under the suit in warmer conditions and was really comfy.  The breathability is something you notice…Less sweating than in a pyro.  Its a big pluss that you can use all the warm base layer goodies you already own.  Tuck the top into the bottoms when pulling up the drycore layer and your good to go through whatever antics you want.  I have only had the suit out a half dozen times now, but notice no bunching or shifting of the base layer when wearing two separate pieces.  Pretty essential, cause like I said, that big ol comfy onzie might not always be in the clean pile when the wind is up!

Definitely my impression that the surf dry has a broader comfy temp range than the pyro.  The hood, interlock with boots/gloves and ability to layer up the merino and fleece have me thinking I’m good down to where ice could be an issue!  The real bonus?? it’s still comfy when the water may be cold but the air is warm.  My first session in it this fall was really wetsuit weather. Weve had a whole schwack of 14 degree airtemp days in November!  In light merino it was fine.  I expected to be sweaty getting out, but wasn’t.  I’m sure if you paddle like a demon in 14 degrees your gonna sweat, but there is huge overlap in range between my 4/3 and the surf dry.