Ready for my first Mako.  What size?
Posted: 13 November 2011 02:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-11-13

I started kiting this year.  I’m a beginner freestyle male rider, 5’9, 150lbs.
You can check out my riding level in these Youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNxwJG8OiqY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsNSrJHo5hQ

Just starting small jumps, trying toe side transitions. 
I ride a twin tip Cabrinha Rival 135/42, and fly a Cabrinha SB 11m in the Boston area.
I’m not crazy about the Rival in the chop.  I tend to get a lot of splash in the face and sometimes I ‘trip’ in the waves (as in the videos).
Based on everything I’ve read and heard, the Mako sounds great.  I’m ready to buy one.
I just don’t know what size to choose (140 or 150).
Will the 140 be enough of a size up from my 135 square twin tip? (my 135 feels small in chop and when underpowered)
Perhaps the 150 is a better choice?  What are the trade offs?

Would love to hear from experienced riders who can really tell me what the trade offs are for the 2 sizes.

Thanks!

Christophe

Posted: 13 November 2011 07:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-06-15

First on the Video did I see shorts over a wetsuit? Is this to hide incontinence pants?
BTW
The mako range are superb for eating chop carving, waves, going big and speed. They are not the right board for freestyle tricks. You square twinny is the job for that.
150 or 140 at 75kg My natural choice would be to go 140 unless you wanted the mako to be a light wind board to curse ,carve and play in the waves then 150.
The 150 will be to big as an all round board though will work well with your twinny as a low to high wind combi

Posted: 13 November 2011 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-11-13

Thanks!
First, correction: I used the term ‘freestyle’ in error.  Perhaps ‘freeride’ is a better term?  I’m not doing any tricks yet, and not looking for a board specifically designed for that.
Just looking for a board better adapted to choppy water and carving.
Also would not mind a bigger board for lighter wind conditions, but not if it cannot be used in heavy wind.  And for that, my plan is rather to add a bigger kite to my quiver.
So it sounds like the 140 is the way to go.

Yes, boardshorts over wetsuit seems to be ‘en vogue’ in New England grin.  Don’t quite get it, but as a beginner, as I want to fit in with the local crowd, I follow suit (pun intended).

Posted: 13 November 2011 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  277
Joined  2006-11-22

boardshorts keep your wetsuit from being torn up from your seat harness leg straps you know that Sunrise. Don’t wear them with a drysuit though. That looks really strange. No, I have not tried it!

Signature 

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Posted: 13 November 2011 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2008-04-13

Hi Chlemaire,
Welcome to the crew. Get the Mako 140. Not because it pairs well with the cab board you have, there’s just this huge chance that you won’t touch the rival after you’ve broken in your new Mako.
The things is, the Mako goes unrivaled!

PS with your weight, the new 135 size might be for the deal for you, I’m totally all round and full range catered with the 140 @ 220lbs.

Posted: 14 November 2011 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2006-10-24
sunrise - 13 November 2011 07:45 AM

First on the Video did I see shorts over a wetsuit? Is this to hide incontinence pants?
BTW

Says he who wears a rain coat out at sea. Figure that one out!

Signature 

The only kiter in the Village

Posted: 08 December 2011 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-12-03

I do not have any experience with the 140 but own and love the 150.  I am 6’3” 170# and originally bought the board thinking it would be a nice all around board.  That is it would be good in chop, waves, flat water, even light wind.  I would say it excels at soaking up chop, sliding rough turns on waves, is plenty good in flat water and handles over powered situations flawlessly!  The only thing it is not, is a good light wind board.  It really does not do noticeably better than my small board in light wind (2007 132 cm underground FLX).  Worth noting that the FLX has not seen more than a couple of hours of use since I bought the Mako about a year and a half ago.  If you want a light wind twin tip look for something that is squarish and wide.
So given that the 150 is not very good in light wind, I sometimes wonder if I would have been better off with the 140 since it is smaller and lighter.

Pete

Posted: 08 December 2011 01:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-11-13

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the great insight.
I ordered the 140 a few weeks ago.  It finally arrived yesterday.
I can’t wait to try it.
I’ve seen your posts on Masskiting.
Hope to share some Mako riding with you around Boston.

Christophe

Posted: 08 December 2011 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2009-12-03

Christophe;
I will definitely look for you at the beach.  I am sure you will enjoy the Mako.  There are many reasons you see so many of them being riden and you very rarely see them up for sale used.

Pete