2010 Freeride bar safety issues ????

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2011-09-05

PM

I have an OR Rise 2010 9m with the freeride bar.

I got it second hand “in good condition” from the local OR dealer in Athens, Greece.
The kite and the bar looked like new indeed, and I pretty much trust the local OR dealer to have sold me a good kite.

I rode the kite about 10 times so far and I like it.

I had some problems with depowering the bar under strong winds, but i managed this in the end thanks to advice from this forum.

I rode the kite yesterday at about 25knts gusty wind. I have ridden it in stronger winds, 30 knts with gusts reaching 40+ without any problem. Yesterday, it should have been a comfortable ride; i didnt even have to pull any depower at the bar, and I was feeling that this wind was the sweet spot of the kite for my 85kg at least.

But the bar did a release on its own.
I closed the chicken loop and tried to fly the kite again but the lines were already tangled, and I ended up kitelooping.
I had to release again and go to the kite.

It could have turned uglier, cos there is no resque on this beach, I was quite far from shore and the downwind landing area would have been more than 3 hrs ahead. Finally a friend collected my board and pulled me to safety, and I feel lucky that I got away with just loosing a session and having to untangle the lines for 5 hours. I inspected the release mechanism later on shore and it works ok.

I wonder if there are any safety issues related to the chicken loop of the 2010 OR freeride bar.
I have used the kite in stronger winds and it should have handled this one without trouble.
The release happened in a gust but I was just ridding normally, not even when jumping or trying a trick.

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi gmournos,
welcome to the crew and thanks for posting your story. We’re happy it didn’t turn ugly. From your story I read you were riding offshore winds? Tempting but not without risks.
My take on the tech side of it is that the elastic inside the red “release cuff” on the chicken loop can somehow have slackened. The cuff can wiggle a bit and creep to a position where the QR can auto-release like you describe.
I guess your dealer can hook you up with some newer, tighter elastic.

Joined 2011-09-05

PM

Thx for the fast feedback. I am glad to be on board smile

The place I was kiting is not the safest place to kite but it is the one nearest to athens, greece.

But I was also esp. unlucky cos I was trying my tricks near the shore and drifting downwind, and doing an occasional “no tricks” large tack to return to my original position. It happened when I was doing this tack, so when I was at the furthest possible position from shore, and with the occasional kiteloops I drifted even further away.

I have just called the local OR dealer, who provided me sofar with excellent service and he pinpointed the same solution for the problem and offered to change this part.

Many thx.

G

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

great to hear your being helped out. Goods winds bro!

Joined 2011-09-05

PM

Indeed I am being helped out. The local dealer here in Athens has great after sales support. This was the main reason I bought a kite from there, although I had no previous experience with OR products. I hope that after the fix the problem will not happen again.

However, I would like to describe a concern of mine that might be useful for you OR guys as feedback.

I just finished untangling my lines. It took six hrs and I broke it up in several days.
When I finished I saw that the rope that connects the chicken loop to the depower lines had a lot of slack on one side. I realized that its end is a pulley which I subsequently adjusted.

Looking in retrospect, when the chicken loop released I closed it and I tried to hook in again. But the kite was doing kiteloops, so I had to release and seek rescue. At that time, I thought that there was some tangle in the lines that was causing the kiteloops. But now, looking at how asymmetric the rope is, I realize that this is probably the culprit for the kiteloops.

I believe that given the throw the rope has and its length, it would probably be very hard to re-adjust it inside the water. So, if you release it would be very difficult to hook in again.

I encountered such a situation with another kite and bar in the past. I hat gotten tangled with another kite, released as a first reaction, then managed somehow out of sheer lack to untange and then I closed the chicken loop and hooked in again. That was two yrs ago, when I had less experience.
I am quite concerned about not being able to hook in again after a quick release with the OR bar, if a sideeffect of quickreleasing is to have an asymmetric rope.

Hope this feedback helps.

Joined 2011-09-05

PM

Well, I wonder if anyone else is concerned with the hard to adjust pulley of the freeride bar?

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2010-05-09

PM

Can you post a couple of pictures?  Thanks,

-wade.

Joined 2011-09-05

PM

I have already readjusted the rope to the normal position.

Out of memory, I will try to bring it to the state it was few days ago and make a picture.

Joined 2011-09-05

PM

Hi wade,

Since the bar is packed now and not in it’s original state, I got the pic of the 2011 bar from the OR site and added markers on it to show what I am talking about.

In this picture the markers are:
1. Front line swivel
2. Pulley -Not to see in a first look, but there is a pulley hidden here. This pulley does not move freely but jams, it does not go back to its original “symetric” position on its own when you pull on the chicken loop.
3. Trim line (I call it rope in my above posts)

When I untangled the lines, I noticed that the pulley was moved to one side.
I then manually adjusted it to its “symetric” position again.

I don’t know how it moved like this.

1. By the strong gust that also quick-released me?
2. As a sideeffect of the quick release mechanism?
3. By the kiteloops after I hooked in again?
4. By the self resque.

Out of these four scenarios, the three first introduce a safety issue.
The fourth one is the most improbable. I was already far from shore with offshore wind, so I just left the bar drifting and grabbed the kite.
It is improbable that the pulley moved when drifting towards the shore given how hard it is to move it.

I am going to the local dealer tonight to get the cuff replaced and see what feedback I get from there also.
Nonetheless, I am worried about the issue with the pulley as much as about the quickrelease. Because this is my high winds kite, the one from which I expect the highest reliability.

Image Attachments

5.jpg

Joined 2010-05-09

PM

The trimline should always be of equal length on both sides of the pulley.  Could it be that the pulley may have jammed?  Even with this scenerio, that should not cause the kite to loop.  Seeing the bar first hand will definately help your local dealer get a better sense of the problem.  Good luck and keep us posted,

-wade.

ps. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Joined 2011-09-05

PM

hi wade,

Went to the local dealer and he showed me that as part of quick-releasing the pulley moves and the trimline becomes longer on one side.
Now, it is hard to tell why it didnt come back when I hooked in again or why the kite looped.
Nonetheless, the pulley seems to work ok.

I also got an upgrade to a 2011 C-loop by the local dealer. The elastic part is much longer than that of the 2010 C-loop.
The whole mechanism seems very hard to auto self release on its own and I dont thik I will have a problem in the future.

Joined 2010-05-09

PM

Cheers! Glad to hear you’ve got everything sorted out! 

-wade.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2011-06-19

PM

l