Joined 2007-10-30

PM

I for sure wanna try both of those!!!!

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

Thanks for the additional info. 

Next round of questions:

Weight (excluding straps) per board size?  This is fairly important.  I would like to compare the OR boards with standard surfboards using foam/glass construction.  Keep in mind, a board being super light is not always the best.  I just don’t want to buy another (epoxy) board like the Best 6’ Thruster - heavy and rigid.  Kinda like my first girlfriend.

Do the boards ride upwind well?

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Hey Gavin,
We’ll post the weights early next week,...(fins and strap’s off).

I’ve been using all three 2012 directionals,...and they’re all similar in feel.
The surprise is how well the 6"3” rides…fast, rips up wind, turns great. For me, this will be my main board to ride strapless at 190 lbs.
Foot work is really easy with extra deck space, volume and full eva deck.
The 5’7” is really quick and nimble with great upwind and slash performance. I’ll use this strapped on windier days.
As I said all the boards are similar in feel,..they just get touch more lively in as you move down is size,..

Total Posts: 76

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

RM, can you speak to the questions of shape, volume, rocker, etc.? Can you speak to the request for low-light-angle photos that show well the shapes?

I hate to say it, but the photos of the bottoms of the 5’ 11” and 6’ 3” both clearly are the bottom of a 5’ 7”. I feel a little slimed by this, especially after posting this thread before the website and photos were updated. A thread post and questions that should help you sell boards….......a perfect chance for you’all to come through. I am an OR fan, trust me on that!

It is great that you like the boards and they do what you like them to do.

Many of us already own boards that we like, and wonder how a different shape (OR’s offerings) might compare, or are our current quivers similar to OR’s current offering.

..as I said initially, more information so that we informed board riders can make a decision while “surfing” the internet would be greatly appreciated.

It is winter here. I am starving for water and waves. I’d love to look at juicy photos of OR’s surfboards and make a confident, informed purchase, since a demo ride is “OOTQ” (out of the question).

Thanks ahead of time. DAVE in Alaska

Signature

“been there, done that”.......now I kite

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Got the message Dave,...I’m on it!

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

sorry for the sniping.

Like I said…..I’m starved.

And thanks.

........it DOES say “fast reply” at the bottom of the page here…....and you are fast.

Thanks again. D

Signature

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

RM, Thanks for the reply on the 2012 OR Surfboards. Here I am on a 4 degree above zero Fahrenheit morning in Anchorage…headed to the shop to work on my carbon fiber snow bike rims….he he.

...was looking at a Surfer’s Journal magazine and saw the Rusty’s advert.

Those guys know how to write an advert, and the photo’s they place there give it all to ya.

Find a TSJ (The Surfers Journal) issue and look at the Rusty’s advert…..........it is what we frustrated who shape our own boards and know what we like and desire will require of the information OR publishes about their surfoboard products.

.....just an idea, trying to help. DAVE

Signature

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2011-06-10

PM

I’ve got the 5’11 here, if anyone is wondering about the ‘paddle in’ potential of this board, here are a few notes:

I took the 5’11 for a paddle after the wind died just to see ‘if I could’ at a clean, but fairly average beach break. I usually ride boards longer than 6’2 (I’m 6’, 190lbs there abouts) but nipping around a compact little beach break I would say I could not far off as many waves as I would on my regular board. Once you’re up and riding it, it has good acceleration and is compact enough to fit into tight little pockets. I’ll be using it a lot more this winter; this was a welcome and unexpected revelation.

This is not a skinny a board; someone earlier wondered if it would be too skinny for flat water antics. There’s plenty of deck space for gybes and fancy switches and you will love the generous, flat profile deck grip. The 5’11 I’d say has a realistic template for most conditions giving you a good mix of early planing and control, though If I was making the ultimate quiver, in winds over 25 knots I would to step down to the 5’7 with straps :D

I haven’t weighed it, but it will weigh more than a regular custom stick or one of the new breed of super-light boards with valves in them, but having ploughed my way through several of the former and creased a couple of the latter, I’ll take the strength/weight/chop smoothing ratio of the OR Quad for my kiteboards.

Someone asked if these boards were like some of the big, clunky pop-out style surfboards that have found their way onto the kiteboarding market over the years - I must say I haven’t seen any new versions of that type of board (though I do know exactly what you mean by them) and for sure the Quad bears no resemblence to them smile This is a sleek looking board that feels and looks good under your arm as you trot down to the water’s edge.

I’ve got some low-light shots here - let me know if you want to see anything specific and I’ll take some more…

Signature

Out there somewhere, takin’ it easy…

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

Dom, thank you!!!!!!!

My mouth watered as I looked through those…..maybe it was my fine Kaladi Brother’s coffee, but damn…...those are the kind of photos I want.

JZ took my comments the other day, so I’m hoping they’ll get some juicy shots for us.

...until then….Dom, would you mind putting up something that gives a good look at the bottom and how the concave shapes up? (any transitions in the concave) Something like that last shot, but with ALL the light from one side and low angle?

Also, one from the tail forward showing the rocker line and rail shape? Thanks!!!! Thanks!!!!! DAVE, it’s snowing again, from Alaska.

Signature

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

nice shots Dom! @BIG, the 5th shot from top with the measuring tape looks like a concave shot, by the DOF blur I’d say about 50cm forward from the fins. 5mm max?

Joined 2011-05-17

PM

I was hoping specifically for a shot showing any transition to the concave…or is it single concave from tip to tail….same depth, or what?

Thanks again!

Signature

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

that would be nice. From the reflections of the fins you might conclude the tail is pretty flat. Plus some excellent glassing!

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

Ehem, could someone please weight the boards?  The 5’11” in particular.

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

Here you go,..fresh off the scale,..

5’7” - 3.25 kg
5’11” - 3.75 kg
6’3” - 4.15 kg
Note this is for the board only, no deck pad or fins.

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

Cheers on posting the board weights.  They’re a tad heavier than traditional foam/glass boards, but nothing too significant.  Should be good.  I’ll give the 5’11” at try and see how it goes.

Btw,  some of the pros (Mauritsio) at the KSP in Peru were saying a bit of weight in the board helps get some extra bite to drive thru the bottom turns, etc.  And, bamboo construction seems to be in vague (eg. north, f one).