What should be my big kite?
Posted: 21 September 2011 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-08-14

Hey

I’m trying to decide what my big kite should be as my last one is no longer…

I’m 170 pounds and ride inland on lakes.  I have big directional boards and a door, so it’s not the board that I’m looking for.

I have a 10m rise as my goto kite and rarely need smaller.
But how big should I go for the 20km/10kn range? I’m thinking 13 or perhaps the 15LW?

Thanks!

Posted: 22 September 2011 01:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-10-30

My ten is also my goto kite as well as my biggest.  If I were to go bigger, I’d for sure go all the way to the 15.  Just one opinion.

Posted: 22 September 2011 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-06-15

12m Razor or 15 flight. If you have loads of light wind days go 15. If only occasionally the 12 will be more versitile

Posted: 22 September 2011 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2009-02-20

My kiting is also mainly inland lakes.  I’m in Utah.  I’m about 180lbs and ride twintips.  my “regular” board is 135x41 and my “lightwind” board is 145x48.  I’d call the 10m my goto kite, but i probably spend more time on my big kite as that’s just how the wind is here.  A lot of people here ride Ozone Zep 17’s.  I just didn’t want to go that big.  I’ve had a 2009 Rise 14 for a few years and this summer upgraded to the 15LW version, as i felt like i wanted a little more kite and better lightwind relaunch, but didn’t want to go all the way up to a 17m (which in my mind, would necesitate a 4 kite quiver to cover everything).  The Rise 15LW does just what i want it to, gave me a little bit more bottom end and I can be out on my big board in wind that is as light of wind as i’d like to go in.  The jump from 10 to 15 is no problem.  Have a look at the Flite 15 when it comes out.  Also, there’s a guy on iKitesurf that has a new 2011 Rise15LW listed and recently reduced to $950 kite only or $1200 with lightly used bar.  you might be able to offer him a little less, as its been up there for a couple of months (he posted it the week after i paid retail for mine - argh).

Posted: 22 September 2011 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-08-14

Thanks for the feedback.
It sounds like to LW15 is the way to go for me.
I’m curious to see if the new 2012 is much better.

Anyone fly it yet?

Posted: 25 October 2011 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2011-09-19

Hi, my name’s Craig Smith, I am a Team Rider here in the UK. I had my first shot on the 17.5m 2012 Flite just over a month ago. It was the first time I had flown a kite bigger than a 13 in a long long time, (probably since my old 17m Strike!). But what a kite, I was kind of reluctant to go out, as the wind was sub 12mph…but Dom Moore pushed me to get out and give it a shot…so I did and how surprised I was, it didn’t move like a 17.5 the kite flew quickly through the sky and the turn rate was un-beleivable, probably due to the new FST Wingtip design. I was flying around for about an hour…the wind picking up to just above 20mph before i came in and changed to the 10m Razor, even with the 7.5m size difference…it was the perfect swap. A great kite, and did everything I needed it to do! That is all I can say on the kite, get yourself a demo from your local dealer! and you will see for yourself what a great light wind weapon it really is!

Craig Smith
Ocean Rodeo UK

Signature 

Craig Smith
Ocean Rodeo Uk
Blankforce Kiteboarding
Blast Kiteboarding
http://www.craigsmith.me.uk

Posted: 26 October 2011 02:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2011-05-17

Craig, I experienced the same joy…..jumping from 17.5 Flite to 10Meter Razor mid-session.

I’m glad to hear I am not alone. DAVE

Signature 

“been there, done that”.......now I kite

Posted: 26 October 2011 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-19

It was definitely quite surprising, in previous experience i have found jumps from 12 to 9 a bit too far apart, where I’d have to hang on to the 12 that little longer until the 9 would work, but this was just a great and easy swap!

Craig

Signature 

Craig Smith
Ocean Rodeo Uk
Blankforce Kiteboarding
Blast Kiteboarding

Posted: 26 October 2011 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-09-15

Craig’s also not mentioning the handlepasses and kiteloops people were doing with that thing (if its the same demo I was at) I had a go and from the 17.5 to my 12 was no problem, though I ride a 6-9-12 quiver, but I felt I could have hung onto that thing down to where my 9 would have kicked in I think. Great piece of kit! Made a potentially boring start a lot of fun! Oh, I’m about 180 as well.

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Posted: 26 October 2011 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-19

Ye the handlepasses were do-able, that’s for sure! but not my favourite kite to do them on! trying to pull the bar of a 17.5m kite into your hip is a deffinate struggle haha! but better than going to the gym…ha…the loops worked aswell, pulled like bugary! but it went round!

Signature 

Craig Smith
Ocean Rodeo Uk
Blankforce Kiteboarding
Blast Kiteboarding

‹‹ Replacement extensions      2012 Makos ››