Changing Latex Neck Seal
Posted: 10 September 2011 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-09-10

I have just bought a new neck seal from Silent Sport, my local Ocean Rodeo rep.  I couldn’t find any information on your site as to how to replace the old one with the one I bought. I still have my manual which shows a separate adhesive strip which is applied with the aid of a hair dryer.  The seal I bought already has adhesive on it.  If I try to apply it as per the directions in my manual I will be applying heat directly to the rubber which doesn’t seem like a good idea.  How do I apply this item?

Dave

Posted: 17 December 2011 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-09-25

Hey.. I’m about to change neck and wrists but can’t find a place where they sell them online. Does Silent Sport have a website?

Posted: 18 December 2011 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-10

Silent Sports has a site silentsports.com. 
A friend bought a set of seals from Whites Mfg Ltd in Saanichton BC 250 544-4969
Also check out YouTube.  There are a number of instructional videos and suppliers.

Posted: 19 December 2011 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-25

Ok thank you.. I’m from Denmark so was planning on buying them inside the EU to save tax, pp etc.

Could you maybe take a look at these and tell me which you would suggest shape-wise?

https://www.gummifabrikken.com/products.html

I reckon that the neck should be the first one called standard, right?

..but for the wrists I’m not sure which would be the best pick.

Posted: 19 December 2011 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-10

The conical one looks most like mine.
The sleeves and ankles aren’t too hard to get to fit.
The best way I found to get the neck to fit is to insert a basket ball in the opening and then inflate it.  I saw this on You Tube but couldn’t find it right now.

Posted: 11 January 2012 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2008-04-20

Hi Guys,

I was hesitating to glue (with heat gun) my new seal as well. My old neck seal leaked… so I had to do it.. I had the one with glue strip on is as well. Did my anckle and wrist seal all ready.
Also looked here for tips and tricks but that did not really work, I just could not find something that would nicely fit in the the neck (the outside collar of the suite is smaller then the place were I have to glue..)

So then I just did it.. i cut out the old one 2,5 cm (1 inch) of the seam.. no way back.. and then it all becomes clear.
Put the new seal in (from inside suit to outside) it just fits there.. then heat one point just a little so it sticks, then work your way around so it fits nicely and when all looks nice heat good and pressure and then the next few cm’s (use working gloves so you won’t burn your fingers.. grin )—do not overheat!!—

Be sure you use alcohol to decrease, after that I used a little aceton as well. Do not touch the cleaned part with your fingers, it might get greasy again.

Good luck !
Arjan

Posted: 12 January 2012 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-25

Yeah I also had a hard time figuring out how to place the neck seal now that the outside collar of the suite was smaller.. I flipped the suit inside out and put a spring form (for baking cakes) on the outside (which now was on the inside, because I flipped the suit) and pulled the new seal on top. I then applied a good layer of Aquaseal on both the inside og the rim and the inch of new seal, let it sit 30 min and then flipped the inch down on the inside of the neck rim, taped it good and let it sit for 12 hours. Worked out really well..

I have tested it and the seals (neck and wrist) are tight and water/air-tight.. unfortunatly the suit is leaking in the seams on the right leg and in the footies (this suit has footies) so now I need to find some solution for that problem :I

‹‹ Size help needed      Weight of OR Pyro Pro ››