2012 Rise, any Reviews?
Posted: 08 September 2011 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-07-01

Hey all, has any body tried the 2012 Rise yet?

If so what’s your reviews on it.

Cheers
Ryan

Posted: 08 September 2011 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2009-08-20

I have flown the 2012 prototype Rise 10m courtesy of http://www.windydevil.com at Crissy field San Francisco.

The kite is more stable, slightly more bar pressure than the past Rises.

Very lofty and big floaty hang time.

My production 2012 Rise 10 m just arrived and will be checked out at Crissy this afternoon with pictures to follow, stayed tuned folks.

Posted: 09 September 2011 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-20

My 2012 Ocean Rodeo Rise 10 m arrived this morning and I was on the water by 2:30pm

The kite is awsume !

Very stable and confidence inspiring.

Floaty hang time. Fantastic wind range.

pictures to follow

Posted: 09 September 2011 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-20

This kite is a gust killer and extreme wind range monster

Posted: 12 September 2011 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2009-02-20

the kite looks even better in this real pic than the CG images.  Nice job on that, OR.

56, my one knock on past Rise models (which is common to all higher AR SLE kites) is the momentary loss of power in transitions.  Does the 2012 model fare any better in this respect?

Posted: 14 September 2011 02:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-20

Posted: 14 September 2011 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2007-04-23
miltsface - 12 September 2011 02:55 PM

the kite looks even better in this real pic than the CG images.  Nice job on that, OR.

56, my one knock on past Rise models (which is common to all higher AR SLE kites) is the momentary loss of power in transitions.  Does the 2012 model fare any better in this respect?

I have not flown the new rise but I did have a rise quiver from 2007-2010. I too noticed the momentary loss of power in transitions in the older rise kites. The new Razor 2012 doesnt have this characteristic and still maintains the grunty, depowerability that I enjoyed with my rise kites. Powers through turns nicely… I havent flown the cypher but that sounds like it too may be a good choice and may not lose any power when turning. I recommend the Razor for sure!

Posted: 14 September 2011 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-10-30

Looks pretty C shaped in those pics

If so you’ll like it better in the transitions.

Posted: 26 September 2011 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  76
Joined  2011-05-17

Got a couple of days on the 2012 Rise 10 Meter. Yes, I’ve had it a couple of weeks, but I’ve been busy at work and unable to partake of our typically decent fall winds. A buddy has been on the 2012 Razor 10 meter and loving it. We haven’t gotten them together for a head to head test, but were able to get the old Rise 10 and the 2012 Rise 10 out on the same session earlier.

I’m in Alaska, riding in what we call “Turnagain Arm”, a salt water fjord that funnels wind and on the stronger days with SouthEast wind is ridden usually in tidal current versus the wind direction and the associated rollers similar to the Columbia River Gorge. If any of you have seen several of the more recent Stand Up Paddle publications, you’ll get the idea. (Turnagain tidal bore wave surfing has made the cover and some inside shots in several SUP pubs.) Yes, it’s nearly October and cooling down. Yes, I’m wearing a 5/4 wetsuit and 7mm booties.

2012 rise 10 Meter. Small freeride bar on the large setting. Kite lines set to the factory default (rear lines in middle position on wingtip, front lines in front position on wing tip). Wind looked 25 to 35 MPH and my 6 meter Rise and Mako 150x34 would have worked, but I wanted to get another session on the 2012 Rise 10 Meter, so that’s what I pumped up. Only 3 other guys started this session at the same time as I. It IS September in Alaska, and there is only one day of Moose hunting season left in most game units, so the ranks were thin. Looking at the weather information for the time period of my session, the wind was very consistently around 30 to 38 MPH. Yes, I said Moose Hunting…..Hey, first things first….food in the freezer THEN kite!

As previously stated, this kite is stable and has great range. In the higher gusts, the kite holds it shape very nicely and gets backwinded/luffed very little. The jumps are lofty and long. I found little need to ‘play’ the kite to keep it lofted/energized. I found that my jump/steer timing was initially off, compared to last years Rise, but only 5 or 6 jumps and I felt at home. The bar pressure is a bit higher in sheeting effort than last years kite, but not a problem at all. Some tuning of the pigtail positions may eliminate this pressure.

A welcome characteristic is easy one-handed steering of the 2012 Rise from the center of the bar. Easy! Yes, in higher gusts, the kite will try to go to the top of the window, but at all other times, one handed steering is easy. I will be spoiled riding the rollers one handed and toe side now for sure.

Those two paragraphs say pretty much all I can say at this time…...........

I am so very glad for OR’s ongoing efforts to produce great kite gear, and….yes, I already have Moose meat hanging. DAVE….Big AK (AK=Alaska)

Signature 

“been there, done that”.......now I kite

Posted: 26 September 2011 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-08-20

I like a lighter bar pressure, and have the 2012 OR Rise 10m set with the back lines closet to the trailing edge and the front lines in the last position farthest back from the front of the kite.