What Mako?
Posted: 05 September 2011 03:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-09-03

Howdy all!

I want a Mako for a free-ride, chop-busting fun board! I consider myself a low-intermediate rider - I like to try to jump as big as I can, ride toe-side a bit, play with waves and have started doing rotations this year.

Problem is, I’m a big fattie so although I have a Flyradical L (138x42) I mostly ride my Flydoor XL cos the smaller board splashes me in the face and is a bit skittish in the chop :(

I’d like to try mutant but I really want footpads so I’m thinking the 150 Mako ... will this be ok for me?

Is it worth waiting for the 2012 boards? Or should I grab a 2011 now (I prefer the 2011 colours too!)?

Cheers!

Posted: 05 September 2011 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2008-04-13

Hi Kamikuza, welcome here.
I’m riding the Mako 140 @ 220lbs strong and I’m loving it, it even gives me a pretty decent low end. With the 150 you couldn’t go wrong.
The 2011 color schemes rock for sure, and it’s the first vintage with a woodcore. I think the mutant options are more suitable for the lighter guys, for big guys like us the 165cm King is a good option for mutant.

Posted: 05 September 2011 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-03

Cheers for that ...!
Re. the King - that’s what I’ve read and decided I’ll have a brief play and see how I like it ...
Wood core all the way - I don’t trust foam only smile

... now to find somewhere that’ll ship to Japan :o

Posted: 06 September 2011 05:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-04-24

+1 for the King but you already know that from me at PKF.

Posted: 07 September 2011 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-09-11

Hi mate ... no probs, don’t worry I’ll look after you ... we’ll get you onto a Mako and send it to you In Japan as cheaply as poss ... once again, remember when you get a Mako, u’ll probably be ‘hooked’ like the rest of us, so I really reckon the 140 + King option is the way to go, rather than just a 150 !!!

Posted: 07 September 2011 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  20
Joined  2007-09-11

oh, by the way, u can still ride the King in T/T set-up with straps ... thats what I do sometimes when no waves around

Posted: 07 September 2011 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2008-11-09

I’ve ridden all of the Makos at some point or another, if you are looking to continue jumping and doing rotations, I’d look at the 140, it’s a really fun board to carve and still isn’t too big to jump and do rotations with. It actually jumps really well off the wave faces as it’s got really solid grip. With that said, the 140 will ride a lot smaller in terms of power, but will eat chop.

The Mako King is super fun in waves and for just freestyle carving, you can jump with it, but it’s not ideal for rotations just because of it’s size. I rode the Mako King mutant pretty much all of the time, super fun. I moved on to a regular surfboard, but I find myself borrowing a King every once and awhile for short period wind slop that we get sometimes.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 08 September 2011 01:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-09-03

Not really LOL

I don’t think I need a King because have a Flydoor XL for the light stuff that I ride pretty much all the time and I may not do much mutant riding because we don’t have the waves for it on our lake. And summer is really the only time I get to the ocean ...
... and when the wind picks up, I’ve got a Flyradical L (that I’m not a huge fan of) but I find I can’t ride it that much cos of how much extra wind I need.

Also, I’m quite heavy (!) so I think a 140 will be just too small to be of enough utility when I need it ...

So I’m pretty sure I’m decided on the 150 ... probably LOL
EDIT : DEFINITELY :D http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/ocean-rodeo-mako-150-review/

Cheers B-man! It looks like I’m sorted on the supplier then :D