which bars are comatibile with Ocean Rodeo ONE SLE 12m2 - plz help

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-08-08

PM

Hi Guys

I’m starting my adventure with kite surfing and I’ve recently bought a OR SLE ONE 12m2 kite however I cant find the matching bar enywhere on ebay or kite surfing shops. the only one I’ve seen is not loner aviable (link: http://www.powerkiteshop.com/ocean_rodeo_sle_control_bar.htm) Could you tell me which bar will match my kite without trimming lines etc. I do not have any experience and my budget is max 200 pounds ( I live in UK)
Thank you for help.

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Tom - since 2006 all OR SLE kite bars and SLE kites,  Ones ( 2006 & ‘07 )  and Rise kites ( 2007 through 2011 ) are designed so that the larks-head loops at the ends of the 4 lines are the same length when the depower trim line on the chicken loop is set to full power.

The kook-proof connector on the rear steering lines is the same for Ones and Rises too.

So newer OR SLE bars will work on a 12m One, just try to get the widest bar you can, 60 cm if possible, as the One turns pretty slowly, especially with a narrower bar.

Hopefully you have an experienced kiting friend riding OR kites that can show you his/her kit and help you get it figured out. It’s hard to get this kind of stuff figured out on your own just with the info on the internet.

You will also have to sort out your leash configuration ( what happens when you release the chicken loop and the kite is constrained by the leash ). The first SLE bar came with an line to leash to one of the front flying lines for novice riders, to depower the kite more than leashing to both front lines, by attaching the leash to the loop on the end of the trim line. Ugh, it’s hard to explain this stuff in writing, best to get an experienced rider to show & discuss the pros & cons of leashing to single or double front lines ...

Hope this helps.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Joined 2011-08-08

PM

Thanks a lot Greg. That will hel p me a lot.  My mate is a kite surfing istructor and I’m going with him and few other people to Egypt by the end of this month to learn. I will send him what you jast told me and He will help me sort out the kite (unfortunately he lives in Irealnd so we will do it in Egypt) Again thank you very much for the above.

Joined 2011-08-08

PM

Another question Greg. Would a new OR SLE BAR (ver 3.0) work with my kite? or can you think of any SLE bar (other brand that will do best) I’ve got 10 days to buy one. Plz help me choose.

Joined 2011-08-08

PM

Greg!

I’ve managed to get a 60cm OR sle bar ! smile with 25m lines and it costed me 200 pounds smile new from powerkiteshop. Great people working there so helpfull! I’ve told them which kite i have and what you said about the lenght of the bar and the lines and they got me a perfectly maching bar smile sweet! smile Thanks agian m8.

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Tom :  good news about the bar. 

After you’ve had some time on your 12m One and are ready to take it up a notch, you may want to try the kite bridle modification that is described in this forum / Tech Info sectiion.

Also another important thing to remember - the One is a very flat ( span-wise ; not a lot of ‘C’ curve from wingtip to wingtip ). with the kite at or near zenith ( dead over-head ), if you de-power the kite a lot and the wind lulls a little ( windspeed reduced ) the kite can front-stall ( nose-dive a little ) and then invert. The wingtips on a C kite produce a little drag that keep a C kite back or down-wind, making them less prone to front-stall.

To avoid this, always try to keep a slight pull on the bar or back lines, don’t depower completely. Doing this will keep the kite a little back or down-wind, like a C kite flies.  If/when you mod your bridle, you can tune in this flying characteristic with the bridle.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca