session harness suggestions
Posted: 06 October 2006 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2006-10-06

So i got my session harness and tried it out yesterday.

Im liking it a lot - feels good.

Couple of suggestions, though.

It needs a buckle of some kind to allow quick opening and closing of the harness, as opposed to stepping into, or strapping up each time. I read somewhere that someone uses a maui magic harness buckle, but a vendor told me this doesnt work. At any rate, its the kind of thing that would be satisfied with a $2 part.

The chicken loop eject mechanism needs some refinement. Its very difficult to reset once pulled. The metal pin needs to have a rounded end, otherwise it gets stuck as you try to put it back into its tunnel thingy and it looks like repeated insertion will mean the sharp edges will dammage the webbing and cords. Easily fixed with 10 minutes work and a file, but ... better to have this done at the factory.

Posted: 11 October 2006 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2006-01-18

there is no chickhen loop release, i think what your refeerring to is the handle pass rope on the back.

Riders should very very very rearly have to pull this. i.e its not really an issue for people to reset.

if your a beginner you should attahc eyour leash the stadard way. only intermediates should attach their kite leash to the handle pass rope.

as for a steeping in. it takes me two seconds to put on the system.  thats from an open buckle. not having to stepin to it

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo Rep Ireland

Posted: 11 October 2006 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2006-01-19

Whilst it would be nice to have a release mech to make getting in and out of the harness easier, I’ve used a Prolimit harness that uses that kind of system and after a while it just doesn’t work.

Having a harness split open under load is not nice and after it happened twice during one session, each time either on the shore or in the shallows, was enough to put me off this kind of system. The extra seconds before and after your session getting in and out the harness are nothing compared to having a solid system that wont let go just when you need it most.

Posted: 11 October 2006 08:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-06
[quote author=“Brian”]there is no chickhen loop release, i think what your refeerring to is the handle pass rope on the back.

Umm yeah - I meant the leash to the handle pass rope and the quick release on the handle pass rope.

if your a beginner you should attahc eyour leash the stadard way. only intermediates should attach their kite leash to the handle pass rope.

Why would I not attach my leash to the handle pass rope, as a beginner?

as for a steeping in. it takes me two seconds to put on the system.  thats from an open buckle. not having to stepin to it

I guess I am just used to the ProLimit bukcle thing I started with.

Posted: 11 October 2006 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

Thats a good question.

Imagine being yanked by a foil that can travel from zero to a hundred, and pulling with the force of two thousand pounds.
Do you want this thing attached to you as close to the hook as possible, where you remain facing the kite, or behind your back, where it will instantly twist you so that you face away from the kite?

Its up to you I guess.

Personally I think those kiters doing handle passes are crazy nuts with brass balls who love being abused, because sooner or later you are gonna get worked baby.

If the kite goes into a death spiral and its skipping you along after it, its great to have one last release before you make contact with grandma knitting away on shore.

Posted: 12 October 2006 02:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  61
Joined  2006-01-18

Answer is as above.

Trust me, if you ever are doing a powered move and miss it you’ll really feel the force of the kite as it yanks you backwards. And if you are beginning you’ll lack the expereience needed to do a recovery.

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo Rep Ireland

Posted: 12 October 2006 03:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-06

[quote author=“craig myers”]Imagine being yanked by a foil that can travel from zero to a hundred, and pulling with the force of two thousand pounds.
Do you want this thing attached to you as close to the hook as possible, where you remain facing the kite, or behind your back, where it will instantly twist you so that you face away from the kite?

Roger Roger.

Posted: 12 October 2006 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2006-01-19

& If you self land & wish to tie off your safety line to a solid object it’s preferable to have it in easy reach.( I use a loop on my bar as shipped with the ‘ONE’.)

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 17 October 2006 05:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-06

I was using the harness in way overpowered conditions over the weekend, and spent a lot of time body dragging to get back to my board.

When body dragging, the harness bar was riding right up onto my chest, and I have bruises to show it.

Someone suggested that the leg straps need to be anchored to the bar somehow, and I am in full agreement with this now.

Posted: 17 October 2006 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2006-04-21

Hello,

I was talking to a Session user and he said that the stitching on the inside (in the shape of a V) was rubbing on his hip, chewing a hole.  He said he had to wear a rash guard, which he didn’t like. 

Anyone else have issues with this?

Should the inside be smooth? Like Dakine?

Signature 

Shaun

Posted: 30 December 2006 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-06

Back at it again with a modified harness. I attached the leg straps directly to the bar near the hammerhead, and this works wonders at preventing the bar from riding up. Much more like a climbing harness now.

Posted: 30 December 2006 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-06

Oh to mqake this modification I used a climbers sling (a loop of webbing material) and two plastic slides (fittings for webbing).

I put the sling over the bar and through the hammerhead, leaving a loop on either side of the bar. I then took each leg strap and passed it through both of the sling loops and then fastening the strap back to itself using a plastic slide.

The advantage of this technique is that the sling provides a soft and correctly aligned attachment point for the leg straps, while taking all the wear and tear of being attached to bar and hammerhear.

Posted: 06 January 2007 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-10-21

pics please 8)