2012 kite bags

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

trying to think a little outside the box and bring new concepts to the market is a great trait of this company.  With some effort the kite bag could use a major rethink.

Start with trying to build a bag around an easily folded kite.  Like already mentioned the long slightly narrower cylinder bag would fit a rolled and once folded kite nicely.  Most of us roll the kite from tip to centre and fold it in three from there.  This can trap a lot of sand in the kite and you end up with a centre portion that is slow to dry.  Then we cram it in a bag usually with the sandy LE at the top!  My six only has to be folded in half and it drains a ton of sand as it completely dries, especially when placed LE/TE down and I end up with a sand pile in the bottom of the bag. Why not build a bag to fit that configuration and drain sand/water at the bottom?  A big draw string top would make stuffing a wet or multiple kites into one bag much easier as its a simple shove all the way to the end of the bag. Done!  Make the bottom of the bag out of tough material but the bottom five inches of the cylinder side section of tough mesh to drain sand as your kite dries. Maybe a grommet hole in the centre and you will never end up with a pile of sand at the bottom of your bag.  Keep the backpack straps and a slightly bigger bar pocket on the side and an external zippered pocket under the logo on the outer of the bag for incidentals reserving the main compartment just for your kite and maybe pump.  The bag will be longer than it is now and generally cylindrical so keep the bag going above the backpack straps by about a foot so you can slap a waist harness around it with the spreader bar at the back when walking to the beach.  Easier than trying to cram it in the bag and its usually wet and full of sand anyway.  Make The whole upper out of the light nylon, but use a tough mesh at the bottom and tougher still canvas as the floor of the bag.  The current light mesh is the only area that really starts to fall apart over time.  Have has to mend it a few times on bags in the past.

Not a final idea, but wanted to throw something new in the mix

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

I used to want board straps on the bag but I noticed that on bags that do have this, the shoulder straps start tearing quite quickly. Too much load. To make an adequate bag with board straps would increase the cost of making by a fair bit.
I can live with a board under my arm.

I’m liking the bags as they are now, maybe the layout of the internal pockets can be updated, and to have a pocket with access from outside would be great.
My 2 cts!

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

I woud like to see one zipper gone.. Yes the one which can hide the shoulder straps… Never hide them, does anyone do that? The zipper opening only loads lots of sand on the beach… Annoying!
There are other things i woud like to see changed or added but the top one is for me that useless zipper.
Do not remove the clips from the straps, handy for clipping the bag to a fence or something.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

edit

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2009-11-16

PM

I hope you keep the shoulder strap pocket, I use it all the time.

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

williswisk - 04 April 2012 12:02 AM

I hope you keep the shoulder strap pocket, I use it all the time.

Ok.. how then and for what? you have to unclip the straps otherwise you cant close it..

I can smell a few nice polls coming up.. wink

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2009-11-16

PM

Much better to put away the straps when traveling and for storage.  Easier to get in and out of the cab of my truck. Also good for keeping mags., books and tablet for when the wind is lite.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-04-05

PM

kitesurfing is the best game i’ve ever played.. kitesurfing barcelona. Kitesurfing is the fastest growing water sport in the world, and we welcome all levels from total Beginners to Kiters who want to work on their Boardwork to come down and have their kitesurfing lessons with us.

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

The bags are good, but I would like to see them able to carry a board.  The zips can be a pain, but it’s better than corroded ones that don’t work.  Flysurfer bags have a flap at the bottom that can be folded and tucked out of the way into a pocket, or used to hold the end of a board.  There’s a strap half way up the bag to secure the board.  Great when travelling.  I can walk all day with my gear, no problemo.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

The OR bag is clean, simple and easy to use! It stores well and is easy to carry. A chest strap would be a nice feature so shoulder straps don’t slip off. Bag has plenty of room for pump and other stuff. I have used other brand bags and most of them are very complicated and clumsy. Don’t mess too much with a good thing, otherwise you’ll end up with an expensive, complicated bag. Thanks!

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Nice one Pete! Like the chest strap idea, I find the shoulder straps do slip at times.

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2009-06-14

PM

My thoughts and a bit of feedback.

Please, please, please sort the zips on the bar pocket. I have three Rise bags and all three have broken zips on the bar pocket.  Two of these broke when the kites were only about three weeks old.  Really seem to be a weak point.

This could be sorted really easy.  Just make a bar pocket inside the bag.  Just an open material tube so no need for a zip.

What would also be really nice would be a little pocket with a clip for my car keys

Signature

Life, don’t talk to me about life. Brain the size of a small planet….....Blah, Blah, Blah

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

A pouch for the bar with a hidden key pocket under the folding velcro closure would eliminate the need for a zipper !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

I’m probably a little late in posting this to have any effect on the 2013 gear but I still think it’s worth posting up my recent experiences. Up until a couple of months ago, bag size, shape etc. hasn’t been a huge issue for me. All kites pack nicely in my van and off we go to the beach. On my main local beach you can actually drive on and basically set up a few feet from your vehciel / car. My accesories such as pump, bars and harness were all kept in a seperate crate, also in the van. This was all well and good until I went and lost every ounce of remaining sanity (that amounted to approximately 2 ounces) and decided to get somemmajor (silly) work done on the van. Since then I’ve been without a vehicle relying on my puch bike, lifts and hopeless old UK public transport.
Last weekend it was time to go home from work (I work away for my sins) and the forecast promised at least 2 windy days. There was no way I was going to miss another session due to transport. Decision made I was going home and kiting by public transport.
Some how with some pretty strategic packing I managed it. Into a 2012 10m Razor bag I managed to squeeze the following:
10m Razor
8m Rise
OR pump
Freestyle bar
shorty wetsuit, shorts and rash vest
Leash
Flip flops
couple of changes of clothes

My harness was wrapped around the outside of the bag. Only just made it. The board was carried in my hand.

Bag was bulging a tad but I still managed it. And including work duties on Thursday on which my kit came with me my weekend journey(s) consisted of:
18hrs or train journeys with several changes
Scavenged lifts from family / friends
4 bus rides from the font door to the coast
6 mile hike.

Frustratingly I only got out on the 8m Rise 2 out of the 3 days. Both days were pretty wild conditions.
Possible improvements to the bag?????
The shoulder straps are a little too far a apart but a chest strap joing the two would have really helped
A waist strap too
Perhaps the bag could be stlightly taller, narrower and deeper. Keeping a similar volume though.
My opinion on a mesh bottom (or similar) varies. In the van / house the last thing you want is sand falling out the bottom of the bag. But sand collecting in the bag can also be a bit of a pain.
Bar pouch could be a touch larger please

It certainly worked for my travels. BUT I seriously want my van back now.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village