Lost a Fin.
Posted: 04 June 2011 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2009-10-10

Was out riding yesterday on my 9m Rise and 150 Mako.  Came down off a boost and the board felt real skatey.  Looked down and no screws and no fin!  I’m a weekend warrior and by no means riding everyday. I look after my gear well and just tightened all the screws last week on the board.  Do guys use loctite?  What do guys do to avoid this.

Thanks,
JD

Posted: 04 June 2011 10:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2008-04-13

no need for loctite.
Get a good screwdriver with a Phillips 3 drive, no Phillips or pozidriv 2, but the real thang. Anything else messes up the screws drive slot, plus it won’t tighten as well.
Especially if you intend to take off straps and fins every now and then for travel, this is a very cool investment.
I’ve mentioned it before, good reading material on screws.
The thread design for metric screws is “self locking”, that is, when tightened appropriately, they stay put.

Posted: 05 June 2011 05:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-10

Is it possible it busted off??????  The other fin is bolted on rock solid and what are the chances both screws being loosened.  The more I think about it the more it seems it snapped off.  Is this plausible?

Thanks,
JD

Posted: 05 June 2011 11:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2008-04-13

mmm never heard of that happening. I’d say, if that happened, you would have some damage to the board as well, dents and scratches, did you check for this?

Posted: 05 June 2011 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-10

The board is mint. Just really weird.  I guess we’ll make sure the new one is bolted in good.

Thanks,
JD

Posted: 06 June 2011 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2006-04-27

Hi Guys

I always use teflon tape on my fin bolts, even my strap and handle bolts as well, they stay put and are easy to remove when travelling. Started doing this on my old mako Classic many years ago and have never lost a bolt on any of my boards!

Blake

Signature 

14m Rise, 12m Rise, 10m Rise, 7m Rise and a Wide Mako!