Mako King Foot straps

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

Hey you King riders out there. A general question:

I just got the King in the door. I plan to ride it in twin tip mode for the first little while. I am not completely happy with the straps provided with the board in this mode because they are not adjustable. I have some older Mako foot straps. I think I will try the older adjustable straps. Do any of you sail on the King in twin tip mode with other straps?

Kirk

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2007-05-26

PM

Kirk - 26 May 2011 06:11 PM

I just got the King in the door. I plan to ride it in twin tip mode for the first little while. I am not completely happy with the straps provided with the board in this mode because they are not adjustable. I have some older Mako foot straps. I think I will try the older adjustable straps. Do any of you sail on the King in twin tip mode with other straps?

Kirk

I have been using the King with the deck pad and no footbeds, and really like it that way.  I use it Mutant in waves and in light wind (I have a Mako 150 with the normal OR footbed/straps). 

I did not like the OR straps, either for comfort or adjustability. After some experimentation,  I have been using an extra-wide adjustable windsurfing strap for my back foot and it works great.  My guess is that these would also work well if you set up the King as a twin-tip.  Mine is an old WIndsurfing Hawaii strap—don’t know if they are still making them.  Probably the wide NSI adjustables would work—NSI seems to be able to make good, functional foam products consistently.

You didn’t ask, but for Mutant on the front strap I have really likes using this one—

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=279

It lets you adopt a really confortable directional stance both regular and toeside but still works totally fine (for me at least) riding backwards.  It also makes it marginally easier to jibe the board (although my success rate is still really, really low).

It’s a great board—have fun!

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

AGK - 27 May 2011 01:16 PM
Kirk - 26 May 2011 06:11 PM

Kirk

I have been using the King with the deck pad and no footbeds, and really like it that way.  I use it Mutant in waves and in light wind (I have a Mako 150 with the normal OR footbed/straps). 

I did not like the OR straps, either for comfort or adjustability. After some experimentation,  I have been using an extra-wide adjustable windsurfing strap for my back foot and it works great.  My guess is that these would also work well if you set up the King as a twin-tip.  Mine is an old WIndsurfing Hawaii strap—don’t know if they are still making them.  Probably the wide NSI adjustables would work—NSI seems to be able to make good, functional foam products consistently.

You didn’t ask, but for Mutant on the front strap I have really likes using this one—

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=279

It lets you adopt a really confortable directional stance both regular and toeside but still works totally fine (for me at least) riding backwards.  It also makes it marginally easier to jibe the board (although my success rate is still really, really low).

It’s a great board—have fun!

Wow thanks for the reply. The front strap solution looks like I would have to drill more holes in the board. Is this true. I don’t want my King looking like Swiss cheese.

regards
Kirk

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

I second the deck pad, much more manuverable.