Kids solutions ?

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Hi Crew,

My kids seem to like powerkiting with a 2.3m foil trainer kite and are looking (read: dad is looking) for proper gear for them.
I think I should skip the 2m tube trainer and go for a little bigger kite so they can actually kitesurf with it later.
They are light, 21-30 kg…

They would need perfect safety system (no stopper), short depower range so they can actually grab the bar again after the kite dropped (but at that range the kite should completely depower at that point and go to safety mode like the rise does when the stopper is way up)
I’m thinking of above the bar depower because of the ease of use for kids, smaller diameter of the bar, shorter lines, wow a special kids bar.
The below the barsetup would be doable aswell I think but then without stopper of course and a bit less throw. When I think of that I think it would be the safest way.

Slow small kites, 3,4,5,6 M2

Looks like the Rise or Razor ‘11 in small kids version with smaller ‘11 bar..

Smal kids board with narrow stances (Kids Mako would be superb!), kids Go Joe?

Any advice is appriciated. Also tips about the wetgear and harness are welcome (waist / seat)

Is OR working on Kids stuff like Epic is doing at the moment with the Junior Pro set? (4m kite and bar)

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

The 2010 4m rise works well. A lot better than the 2009. The 2m should not be ruled out as it flies and pulls well The main problem with all small kites is their speed.
Freestyle or free ride bar will make little difference in the small kites because the amount of throw needed to fully depower is proportionately smaller well within the freestyle range.
For safety the leash should go to the “o” shit handle . Make sure you Children can operate the Quick release and practice.
I would also look at seat harnesses to keep the pull on the hips rather than a childs back
Boards
I have found the 129 zen works well though it is a struggle for some children to position in the water for water starts. A helping hand is needed. Ideally a lot lighter board is needed but the market is small for the development costs.
Another option is to go the opposite way with the board.
I have had good success by using a conventional surf board. Just sit the chid on the board and it is amazing how they go with the kite. Keeps the interest and reduces frustration of water starts.

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Thx
Good board idea, got a 210cm brunotti highwind directional wich they can use.
Seat is also the right choice for kids imo.