What’s your best tip to BOOST HUGE on the rise?

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

Hey,  what is your best tip to boost big with the rise?  I’m looking for the best way to go as high as possible straight up NOT downwind so what you got?

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

Ride big kites in big winds!

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Smaller sizes boost higher but don’t have the hang time bigger kites give you.
It’s very tempting to jump the Rise “SLE” style, by just sending the kite and pulling the bar. You’ll go higher if you have the kite low, power up, and send the kite past 12h with the bar powered. It helps to carve upwind hard right before you send the kite. Using a wave as kicker and/or pop the board, plus using muscle power to take care of the first vertical acceleration,
Practice to get the timing right for all these steps.

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

well I know how to boost, I’m just trying to go higher….I know speed, timing, and popping are a big part….I just wanted to see if you had more tips for a more vertical lift.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

zh4k - 08 May 2011 01:49 PM

well I know how to boost, I’m just trying to go higher….I know speed, timing, and popping are a big part….I just wanted to see if you had more tips for a more vertical lift.

Yeah, Get a foil kite. I recommend the Flysurfer Speed 3 in 21 M.

; )

Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

Yea, that’d be a great kite if I had 2 grand hahaha

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

Timing is crucial.  You want to create as much stretch in the lines as possible before releasing your edge.  If you hold your edge too long/ release too soon then you’ll get poor results.  Really focus on digging your edge in for max. pop.  Sometimes I’ll hop (board leaves the water just a bit) into carving upwind to get my body weight into really digging in the edge.  If you watch a lot of Hadlow videos you will see how it’s done by a real pro.  Done correctly, this technique will get you an extra 10-15ft. on jumps.  You’ll know it when you’ve done it right.

I also find sending the kite fast and hard but also from lower (9) to higher (1) helps getting height, ie. the kite is climbing.  However, if you do not get max. load and pop then you’ll just get a long jump without a lot of height.

And you want to be really powered up on a 7-9m on a small board (135cm or less).  But there is a limit.  Being overpowered tends to sacrifice good technique which results in poor results.

Good luck.

Total Posts: 152

Joined 2007-06-26

PM

there are some pics in the galary from our teamriders on the rise 7 and 8, the only thing you have to do is kite in 40 knots wind and grow a pair

Signature

on fire

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

barry - 10 May 2011 07:48 PM

there are some pics in the galary from our teamriders on the rise 7 and 8, the only thing you have to do is kite in 40 knots wind and grow a pair

Thanks Barry, following your advice I just grew me a pair of beautiful breasts, when will the 40 knots be hitting?
Can’t wait!

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

Wrong set, I think. But nice try.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2007-07-11

PM

The Rise is one of those kites that is truely capable of going huge when powered up.  If you are not powered up, there is nothing you can do to get over 30ft.  You need BIG winds.

Pics Here—-  https://picasaweb.google.com/andyandmarlys/OceanRodeoRise#

My technique has easily boosted me over 40ft time and time again when properly powered.  If I am not powered it doesn’t matter what I do, I wont get the HUGE jumps.

For me, the best boosting size is the 10m Rise.  It is fast enough to yank you up, but not so small that it just drops you.  Winds need to be in the upper 20’s to low 30’s.  If you can hold it in the mid 30’s all the better.

Get riding fast in between the chop… Pick a line where you won’t lose your edge and get your speed up.  Eye a piece of chop with a nice ramp and get your kite to either 10:00 or 2:00.  With the bar sheeted out with just enough tension to keep your speed pull with your back hand as hard as you can.  Time it so that your kite hits 12:00 just as you hit the top of your wave, and as you push off the water with your legs, aggressively pull the bar all the way in.  At this point your kite should be at 12:00, and you should keep it above you, not letting it get out of the 11:00 - 1:00 window.

As you reach your apex, keeping the bar sheeted in, enjoy the views…

As you come down keep the kite overhead, except that in your last 10 ft of decent you need to aggressively bring the kite back down in the direction of your travel.  Don’t forget this step as it is key to a soft landing.

If anyone is interested in trying out the 10m Rise, get in touch.  I have a brand new 10m that I’d be willing to send out to someone who thinks this might be the kite for them.  If it doesn’t boost you to the moon, send it back.

Andy
Bellingham KitePaddleSurf
http://www.kitepaddlesurf.com