Strut angle?
Posted: 23 April 2011 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2010-04-30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0lbBewBGM0

Looking at a video of the Blade Trigger kite I immediately noticed the strut angle after coming from the kite.  It makes the strut look like an L.  What I think this helps with could be in a lull it allows the kite to shift back in the wind so not to nose dive.  Maybe the rise could benefit from this? 

What do you think?  Could the shape of the strut be beneficial for something?

Posted: 23 April 2011 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2008-04-13

Hi zh4k,
Interesting post, how do you see the kinked strut shape avoid nose diving? I have never experienced nose diving with Rise kites, do you? When a kite falls foreward, it’s is usually due to insufficient back line tension, or it’s too far to the side of the wind window in too little wind.

Posted: 23 April 2011 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  50
Joined  2010-04-30

I was thinking it might avoid nose diving in long lulls because when the OR rise does nose dive there seems to be to much weight on the leading edge with no counter balancing weight on the trailing edge.  Thus, when no more air the rise will go nose down, thus stopping any air from trying to recover the kite instead of shifting backwards and exposing the canopy to wind after the lull stops.  However, when the OR rise does nosedive, I recognize that it is because of user error because of not enough backline tension or keeping it directly overhead in such wind. 

Still, I was wondering if maybe angling the struts could shift more weight to the trailing edge in a lull by tilting it backwards, while still keeping the performance of the rise kites.

Basically I get really crap lightwind and when I had my Airush Lithium 13m LW kite (delta I know) it would just drift backwards in lulls.  Not like back stalling, but just float backwards waiting to catch the air again.  I don’t know if that is from the kite being better balanced or what.  I did get rid of that kite though because the wind range sucks on the top end and I like my rises, but I liked how it drifted back in light wind AND I liked whatever airush was doing with their lines because it felt kinda waxy/plasticy, making the lines not wrap all around each other so you don’t have to worry about them tangling at all.

Basically, I just really like Ocean rodeo and would love to make their kites the best.  I know the Razor probably drifts backwards like I was saying, but I’d rather have a more upwind (higher aspect) kite that can also do the same thing.