to mako pro or to mako surf

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

I’m confused, is there going to be a big difference in the get up and go between the two boards, being a heavier guys 200+ am I better off with the 150, If I’m going to drop $1000.00 I want to make sure I get the proper board, hope someone can help me out.

Jay

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2005-12-27

PM

the mako pro has a better light wind get up and go thanks to the extra 2cm in width and fatter nose outline. The pro has less swing weight due to its shorter length going from toe side to heel side, this also makes air rotations easier. The pro is a better “trick” board.
The mako surf is shines at high speed carving turns. Ideal for wave riding, down wind speed runs, boarder cross racing, and flat out classic big airs.
The 18mm of concave on both boards gives similar smooth ride, with the pro needing more back foot pressure.
I hope this helps.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

I am a newbie. I have an old F-one Explorer 160 as my only board at the moment. I kinda figured this would be my light wind board for awhile. If I hang on to the F-one, what board would you recommend for a beginner-progressing to intermediate? We are talking old style here with no loops or big air in the near future!
I weigh 80Kg

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

[quote author=“Kirk”]I am a newbie. I have an old F-one Explorer 160 as my only board at the moment. I kinda figured this would be my light wind board for awhile. If I hang on to the F-one, what board would you recommend for a beginner-progressing to intermediate? We are talking old style here with no loops or big air in the near future!
I weigh 80Kg

Hi Kirk,

Either Mako will be a great choice for you. I would decide based on your conditions. If you have waves in you area, or really just like to cruise REALLY fast in flat water and chop, go for the Surf. If you think you are going to get into freestyle, or want a board that ” feels ” a bit more like a conventional board, go for the Pro.  Both of them rip!

Cheers, Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2006-05-23

PM

I got to try the Mako Pro in Mexico last week.  I am an intermediate kiter who is just learning how to jump and land consistantly.  I found that the Mako Pro is a great board for getting effortlessly upwind.  It also holds an edge well when loading up for a jump and allows for more power going into the jump and therefore results in bigger airs.  It is a smooth board at speed and absorbs chop well, however it will take a few rides to get use to a slightly different stace.  The first few transitions I buried the nose but after I figured out the weighting of the edge during transitions (jibes), turning it was a snap and was able to maintain a carve through the whole turn.  Riding toeside is easier as well due to the concave however with that powerfull of an edge you can easily kill your toeside speed.  Again a few rides are necessary to get use to the new feel.  Overall I would say this is a great board but it is not meant for wake style (my opinion).  It is a good board for lighter wind as the concave makes it feel wider than it is and therefore it might not make a good high wind (35+ knots) board.  All I can say is my old board is up for sale.

Total Posts: 265

Joined 2006-11-15

PM

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Which to go for the Mako surf or the mako pro?
At last we had some wind here so I could try the Pro against the Surf back to back.
First I have to say that I have been riding the surf for years but this was the first ride on the pro. I changed back and forth between the two several times during the session.
Another point my Surf has small fins because I prefer a loose board.
I am 90kg (2.2lb = 1 kg) and was using a 16 one.

Either Mako will be a great choice for you. I would decide based on your conditions. If you have waves in your area, or really just like to cruise REALLY fast in flat water and chop, go for the Surf. If you think you are going to get into freestyle, or want a board that ” feels ” a bit more like a conventional board, go for the Pro.  Both of them rip!

I agree

The surf is fast verrrry fast. but is not good for pop jumps.
the Pro needs more back foot pressure than the surf (I got this sassed after my face hit the water a few time. Quick learner me)
The pro is a wet board kicking spray from the nose into your face. It is also very loose and twitchy even compared with my surf on mini fins.
Jumping and rotation the pro came into its own just so easy compared to the surf.
To sum up
The Mako surf and Pro are completely different animals and I feel should be thought of as different boards rather than a smaller or bigger model of the same board .
I am glad I have both but the Surf is where its at for me