Kite lessons in the Outer banks

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2008-11-27

PM

Thinking of taking my son (13 years old) to learn to kite in the Outerbanks this summer - early July.

1. Is this a good place to learn? (we are from Southern California - I kite at Belmont Shores)

2. If this is a good place - any particular outfit, person, location for an instructor?

Thanks,

MC

(also posted on ikite)

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2010-05-09

PM

the winds will likely be a little lighter than in the spring but waist deep water and smooth winds makes obx a great place to learn.  check out REAL out there…they have zero2hero camps that will take your boy from total newbie to riding in 3 days.  the camps are pretty pricey but are very comprehensive.  come to think of it, i think kitty hawk offers kite camps as well.  well this should get you started anyway…good luck,

-wade.

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2006-04-27

PM

MC

Check your PM

Blake

Signature

14m Rise, 12m Rise, 10m Rise, 7m Rise and a Wide Mako!

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

MC, check in with Chris at Kitty Hawk Kites. They have a great lesson program and your son can learn on an Ocean Rodeo!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2008-11-27

PM

Good stuff, looks like lots of opportunities in the area.  Will check them out.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2008-10-02

PM

MC,

Having lived and kited on the OBX, I second Evan’s comment about Kitty Hawk Kites. The OBX is probably the safest and best location to learn to kite in the U.S.  Chris Moore from Kitty Hawk Kites and his instructors will treat you very well. Personally, I can recommend either Will Brooks or John Gates as instructors from KHK. The air and water temps in mid July will be pretty warm. Winds are lighter than in the spring, but less gusty too.

Chris has a package set up now that is a great deal. If you buy a kite and board combo, you get a free three hour private lesson. Sounds like a great way to get your son set up with a new kite and board as well.

Signature

Aloha! Jeff Rockett, , All over the world!