Inside Scoop - 2011 Rise vs Razor

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2007-11-09

PM

Had an incredible session on the 10 Razor yesterday. 

195 lbs
140CM twintip
10 Razor
22-25MPH
clean 4 foot waves

I’m really falling in love with the razor.  It has power where and when you want it.  I love the way it powers through turns and pulls you out of loops.  It’s smooth and powerful, and I’m super impressed by the range on the Razor given it’s a c-shape. 

What a session yesterday, just jumping to the moon, powered full speed tricks,  and the kite is so responsive in the air, you always know where it is and you can get it where you want really quickly.  I think yesterday was the day I really fell in love with the Razor as my goto kite!

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Wanted to debunk the mentions of less top end on the razor.  Had the six out yesterday for a couple hours in 25-35 knot gnarly, gusty, rainy, overland wind and couldn’t get over the comfort.  Totally inspiring.  Dragons breath gusts were sudden and strong, the kite smooth enough to make an easy go of it strapless.  Too gusty to even think about unhooking, but cruising felt like child’s play and I never found the throw on the freestyle bar short.  In fact it seems a perfect fit for the 6m with the kite pretty much shut off when the bar nears the stopper, never actually hit the stopper or touched the strap.  Absolutely awesome kite and I’m so stoked with its intuitive nature.  So much less attention wasted on the kite and put toward some of the most aggressive riding I’ve managed yet.  So much easier to commit when you feel that much control.  A bit mind blowing when you take a moment to appreciate the chaos going off around you.  The 6 can be very fast but its a smooth operator and easy to fly at whatever pace you want.  Lets you rip and gouge super hard yet come out the other side with the kite and the power where you want it.  If that was strapless, Its gonna be WAY too windy to max it out in boots!  I willingly draw the line at around 40 knots these days!

If I won the lottery tomorrow I wouldn’t change gear.  Add to it, maybe, but change it…. no way!

I feel like the guy who finally owns the porsche 911 that was on the wall in his bedroom as a kid.

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Brent you sure have an inspiring way of talking about this kite, if I didn’t own one myself I’d probably say it’s way exaggerated.
It’s not.

The Razor keeps surprising me, top-mid and low end, it doesn’t stop delivering - like you say right in your comfort zone.
On the low end, I was out last week in 15ish knots on the 10m, rotored winds and slow downwind current, when a buddy asked me to try the Razor. He gave me his 10m 2011 Zeeko Notus, which is a really nice piece of kit notorious for it’s crazy low-end. The Razor had about the same amount of power BUT is so much more aggressive and quicker, where the Zeeko needs half a second to spring to action, the Razor already is pulling directly upon bar input.

I’m really jealous with Ross, after designing this kite he just kicked back and only did minor tweaks and color changes, and spend the rest of the time surfing. Rightfully so wink

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Yeah, gets a bit flowery dont it?  Must be the poetry classes!  Funny enough a few of our local guys who took razors down to hatteras say they prefer the rise.  Different strokes for different folks I guess.  Probably ferrari fans!

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

I just order a 12m Razor. I’ll post my opinion after a few sessions.

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Love seeing Brent’s enthusiasm for this kite here, I know he hummed and hawed for a bit about making the jump from his Diablos!

I agree with him too, my initial review said that the Razor struggled in the higher winds but I had the 6m out in Hatteras on a day that the gusts registered over 50 knots and I had a blast, an absolute blast. Mind you, I did have the bridle set forward to allow for a bit more depower.

Enjoy!

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

it’d be cool to know the low end on the 12m razor

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Dunno about the 12m, but with the 10m Razor it doesn’t quite have the low end of the 12m Rise.  I’ve had a couple of days now where the wind has dropped and I’ve had to work the 10m Razor hard, then decided to change to the 12m Rise and had a better time of it.  It’s a close thing though, and I’m tempted to replace the 12m Rise with a 12m Razor.

Suffice to say, I love being out on the Razor and it’s the one I pump up if I get the chance now.  Had some great powered sessions on it.  Absolutely love the feedback, knowing where the kite is, the power it gives, etc and it looks great too. IMHO.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

going to have get my dirty hands on a Razor somehow. I’ve just got a feeling that it’s going to suit the direction and style I’m heading in.

Bribing Sunrise with sheep didn’t work. He just took the lot.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

A bottle of whiskey would probably work better.

The sheep might appreciate it too.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Anyone who’s had both the 12m Razor and Rise, how does the lift compare between the two? I have an 8m Razor, and in comparsion to the Rise, it really yanks me off the water, where as the Rise is a bit easier to boost, but everything is slower. I’ve read that’s pretty much the difference between the two, but I’m wondering if the 12m Razor actually has more lift off the water than the Rise.

I really like my 8m Razor, but I ride a 12m probably 75% of the time, and the 8m the other 25%. Also, I’m just getting into riding a directional more and trying unhooked stuff, so I think the Razor might be the way to go.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2007-09-24

PM

I’ve had the 8 and 12 Rise for 3 years 08/09/10 and then switched to the 8/12 razor this year.  I really like the way the razor handles, can’t echo that enough.  I haven’t had it in crazy gusty stuff yet, so no comment there (and I kept the rises just in case they gobble gusts more than the razor - one of the above posts makes me want to really push the razor in the gusty stuff).  As far as boosting between the 8 rise and 8 razor, I think the rise does the floaty part a bit better, but they both tear you off the water; the razor loops faster at the last minute).  Height wise they feel similar, but I have no picture evidence.  I can’t comment on boosting on the 12s - mostly when I’m riding a 12m I’m working unhooked stuff in lighter winds.  Personally I think the 8s in either rise or razor boost higher than the 12 of either because you’re in a higher windspeed, and generally much higher board speed, and much larger chop to start the boost.  I really like the turning speed of the razor over the rise for kiteloops - you really can put it anywhere in the window in milliseconds.  Just my two cents.  As far as wind range, I think they’re similar - the razor flies better in the light wind, and you can ride in a knot or two less wind, but to do the really fun boosts and tricks, there’s no substitute to more wind (with either kite)!!! smile

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2008-07-06

PM

ryelet - 29 May 2011 04:03 AM

the razor flies better in the light wind, and you can ride in a knot or two less wind

I’m confused now. How can the razor with a more C-like shape have better low-end than a rise? Did I miss a memo or something?

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2007-10-02

PM

Kites with a lower AR (fatter) have better low end and less top end then Kites with a higher AT (skinny).

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Wow,  Kingston turned on in fine form yesterday!  Had one of those perfect set ups.  Drop the kid at school, a couple hours helpin my dad out with tree removal while watching the wind kick in, then hit the lake feeling guilt free!  Was juiced on the 10 in boots right from the get go.  Had a little to a lot of strap pulled in when it drifted between say 23 and 28 knots.  Was thinking in the heavyer bits that I was stoked to learn a little bit about the top end of the 10m.  Was having a blast, and came to the decision that it indeed has less really comfy high end than some of the high end biased 10m kites out there and certainly all of the 9’s.  Wasn’t yanking me around or anything and I was cruising along without strain, but it was only in the lulls that I could handle loading up the kite and busting any kind of moves.  I figure anything over 25 knots in our bump and jump and I’m going with the 6.  Still, I was having a blast celebrating the return of the sun.  Had probably been riding for about two hours when I start to notice the fatigue and I kid you not, it blows up another 10 knots.  Wind meter shows sustained 38 knots for about 10-15 min!  Way too windy to risk our sketch exit points and I’m downwind from where I can get someone to catch it so I grunt it out.  Rediculous, trudging along upwind at about 2 mph.  At least two down winds bouncing skids, but eventually I made the 4 tacks up there to where someone was wating to catch it.  Not really fun, required 100% of my attention, but I managed it fine enough.  Earlier I had the kite do a funny little manta ray swim stroke when it self launched after a yard sale, but nothing unrully in the heavy stuff.  I wasn’t exactly whipping it around! 

Would have loved to throw up the 6 once it settled and have at er again, but alas it was time to be a parent.  Picked her up at school and had an ice cream while watching the other locals rip it up!

Pretty fun, and I certainly found the spot where I will choose to rig down!  Sore in every muscle today!!  Will post the wind graph from my home computer later.
EDIT:

Just so it doesn’t look like I’m talking too much out of my ass!

Image Attachments

june 1.jpg