Bar maintenance

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2010-12-11

PM

I broke the stop on my bar and will need to replace it. Any suggestions on how to thread the rope through the stop and the release? I may replace the rope as long as it is a part anyway. What size is it and strength?

thanks
Tom

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2006-05-30

PM

Tom - assuming “strop”  =  thickest line on the bar, that runs from chicken or harness loop through the centre hole in the bar up to the pulley & swivel,  back through the bar and to the chicken loop - a.k.a. the trim line

Either order a replacement trim line from your OR dealer and it will come cut to length and with the appropriate fitting on its end for connecting a leash & also the threading “tongue” described below…

Or if you’re a do-it-yourselfer,  replace it with a 5 mm or 3/16 inch diameter single braid Dyneema or Spectra line (  Samson rope  ) usually available at a marine supply store.

To make it easy to feed the end of the rope through all of the places it has to go, cover about 1 inch end of the rope with a long & narrow ( use about a 3 inch x 1/2 inch )  “tongue”  or leader of sticky-back sailcloth. Electrical tape or duct tape might work too.

Signature

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca