2011 Wood Core Makos Now In Stock

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

You knew this day would finally arrive and - well - it has. We are now flush in all sizes of 2011 wood core Makos!

If you have open orders with any one of our dealers your boards will be arriving at their stores late this week or early next week at the latest.

If you’ve been considering a 2011 Wood Core Mako now is the time to order! Get in touch with your favourite Ocean Rodeo Approved Dealer or visit our online store to join the Mako Movement today!

John Z - OR

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2010-12-13

PM

Great!!! It’s about time to!

lets hope the postoffice don’t goes on a strike again…

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

My new 2011 OR Mako 140 just arrived, It is truly a work of art.  love the orange.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2010-05-30

PM

I’ve just got my 2011 Mako 150 and what a board. Looks Great, gets and goes and what a soft ride. Great on the old knees.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2010-08-16

PM

What’s up with the handle on the blue one?  It looks crooked and like there are too many holes on the top side of it.

Also, can anyone riding one of the new board speak to whether or not the new wood base does make it have more pop than the old style?  I’m somewhat doubtful since I think most of the stiffness probably comes from the concave shape… but I would be happy to be proved wrong, I would love a Mako with more pop.

Signature

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2009-08-20

PM

I have rode the Mako 140 alot, with the new 2011 wood core Mako 140, I notice a stiffer rail and less distortion, as for pop IMHO it is all about the fins.
I jump with speed edging upwind as hard as I could, and huck the kite.  Now I am setup mutant style and with three fins hanging on my dominant jumping left arm forward side, I can edge alot harder and really lift off huge at a slower forward speed. I like the Mako overall because of the locked in track on the water, not the skaty feeling of wakestyle/freestyle boards. As close to a surfboard substitute as you will find.

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

I just got mine in! √úberstoked can you imagine, accessorizes nicely with the green Razor 10m!
I asked for a larger fin on one side, I think I prefer that over the thrusters. I will try both and post my opinion.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

That is a really sharp looking board dude!
The single fin is a more forgiving ride IMO because it allows a little side slip, the thusters really lock it down.
So many choices…its tough to decide what to get!

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

To add to the list of praise I have ridden the 2011 King against the 2010 king. A marked improvement. The 2011 is not quite as stiff which really seams to help the bottom turn on waves. There is far less tendency for the board to loose the rail and kick out. Over all riding is defiantly smoother . As to Jumping Don’t know I use a 150 classic for that.
1 thing I have found by being lazy is it makes little difference if you change the center fin to the big hooked fin for Mutant so I now run 2 big fins on the outside and the 5.6 in the middle.

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Don’t forget the Grom!!! The “little” 130 mako is for big kids too! I’m 185lbs and the Mako 130 is a go to board for me. It planes up quickly and is a blast to ride in choppy conditions. Likely not for the 200lb+ crowd but still, it is a hell of a fun board!

Also, if your board arrived without instructions for the various set-ups, please check out this thread! (The factory seem to have omitted instructions with some boards shipped).

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2010-05-16

PM

johnz - 21 February 2011 06:34 PM

Don’t forget the Grom!!! The “little” 130 mako is for big kids too! I’m 185lbs and the Mako 130 is a go to board for me. It planes up quickly and is a blast to ride in choppy conditions. Likely not for the 200lb+ crowd but still, it is a hell of a fun board!
John Z

Does the 130 take a ton of kite power? Can you own one and not have a keep a 150 or 140 to be covered?
My 150 does seem to need more kite power than most traditional twintips but the feel that the Makos provide make it pretty difficult to get very interested in other twintips. Nothing else rides with that locked in rail (snowboard) feeling for me.
I have been wondering about about going to the 140 or the 130 as my small board because I have the King for when it’s light, but I’m not sure if that is gonna end up forcing me on to the King way too often.
Comments please anybody.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

Chrys - 21 February 2011 11:52 PM
johnz - 21 February 2011 06:34 PM

John Z

Does the 130 take a ton of kite power? Can you own one and not have a keep a 150 or 140 to be covered?
My 150 does seem to need more kite power than most traditional twintips but the feel that the Makos provide make it pretty difficult to get very interested in other twintips. Nothing else rides with that locked in rail (snowboard) feeling for me.
I have been wondering about about going to the 140 or the 130 as my small board because I have the King for when it’s light, but I’m not sure if that is gonna end up forcing me on to the King way too often.
Comments please anybody.

I have experience only on 2009 Mako (but the outline is soo similar), the 140 plane as quick as the 150, doesn’t hold more power than the 150. the 140 is more suited to do some freestyle and more skatey in little/average waves, 150 have better grip in steeper and bigger waves and goes upwind a bit better. but wind range is the same.

So in my opinion if you’re looking for a board to jump in choppy water holding more power than the 150 is not the option, you could try the 130 (but I have no experience in that)

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Thanks for posting those set-up options John!
DJ and I put together a King and a 140 in the shop this weekend for demo’s in Seattle and it was a bit of a brain teaser at first.
The King came with 3 big surf fins and no thrusters, (as well as no manual) so you might have to check for complete King’s up there before you ship.
I have not riden the King yet, but I got a chance to ride the 140 in 40-50kt conditions and was very happy with how this board gives the rider back energy…or “pop” as we like to call it. Very very easy to jump big and holy crap this thing holds a driving line through big chop and high-g cutbacks extremely well. Way easier to ride than the directional I took out for a spin for a bit.
The graphics this year are totally sweet, we all agree these are some of the sharpest looking Mako’s yet!

Now thats a lot of fin man!

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

I’ve ridden the 2011 140x40 a bit now, and I was noticing some more pop too. It appears the woodcore has a springy feel to it. It all may be in my fantasy but I believe I feel a tighter tracking board, with a little less torsion and more pop. Faster too I think, it might give you some low end. Plus it releases easier off the water - again, at least in my mind. Maybe some small differences but they are noticable.
It needs back to back testing to see how big the differences are, and if they are worth it to move from an earlier year to the 2011. The graphics are super cool, the bottom sheet print totally rocks.
Excellent job Ross & Richard!

Graig that’s more fin than you’d find on a regular surfboard… before you return anything pls tell us how this goes!

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2011-03-01

PM

The Mako king was & is a truly multi purpose board & I use it:

1. For teaching -it gets newbies going that lil bit quicker
2. For Lightwind days myself - comfy easy planing - love it
3. For wave sessions in mutant ...

It does all of these well

The 2011 had me buzzin when i heard it was improved & looked killer however…

1. Deckpad & Straps ... not as good for newbies - not as “locked in” for them -  I like it tho’
2. The straps need to be white ... not black they take the whole look off the assembled board ( i notice none or OR photos show the black straps)
3. Its pricey ......had to say it ...times are tuff

My local OR guy is a legend i look forward to more good times with OR .. looking at the prices to get from the UK to Hatteras ..mmm

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Trykitesurfing.com - 01 March 2011 01:32 PM

The Mako king was & is a truly multi purpose board & I use it:

1. For teaching -it gets newbies going that lil bit quicker
2. For Lightwind days myself - comfy easy planing - love it
3. For wave sessions in mutant ...

It does all of these well

The 2011 had me buzzin when i heard it was improved & looked killer however…

1. Deckpad & Straps ... not as good for newbies - not as “locked in” for them -  I like it tho’
2. The straps need to be white ... not black they take the whole look off the assembled board ( i notice none or OR photos show the black straps)
3. Its pricey ......had to say it ...times are tuff

My local OR guy is a legend i look forward to more good times with OR .. looking at the prices to get from the UK to Hatteras ..mmm

The new black straps are a totally different design and are not adjustable.
Not sure why they went with this, should be fine for most riders but for teaching or demo’s its going to be a pain.
On a positive note this board feels lighter and more “sprung”, like there is a tension in it with this wood core that will give back energy in a snappy fashion. Hoping to get a session on it this week….a huge storm is heading our way, due to hit on hump day.