1 of 2
ONE KITE BRIDLE MODIFICATION
Posted: 11 September 2006 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

What follows is a somewhat detailed description of how to modify your ONE kite bridle for faster turning.

Bridle modification kits will be available for sale (for a minimal cost) shortly through your local   Ocean Rodeo dealer , likely as soon as October 1st.

For now those of you with a jack knife and a stick of chewing gum can   MacGyver your own bridle modifications and enjoy the benefits of a faster turning kite this weekend!

John Z - OR :evil:

PLEASE NOTE: Click on any image below to open a full size, print compatible version.

ONE Kite Factory Installed Bridle Set-up

ONE Kite Bridle - Pre Extension Installation

ONE Kite Bridle with Extension Installed

9m One Kite Bridle Extension Diagram

12m One Kite Bridle Extension Diagram

16m One Kite Bridle Extension Diagram

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS
(Click on image to open print compatible image)

Please   contact us if you have any questions!

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 11 September 2006 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2006-01-19

Thanks John…Looking forward to this ‘one’ !!!

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 14 September 2006 07:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2006-01-19

Hi John,

Good to see you’re always looking at improving things.

What breaking strain Q Line do you recommend? Can I butcher an old set of lines and should the ends be sleeved?

Does spectra carry a breaking strain or should I just ask the local chandlery for 2.5mm spectra?

Really looking forward to seeing how the 16m ONE performs with the new mod.

Posted: 17 September 2006 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-10

Iain, Use 2.5mm spectra. Q line should be standard Q Power line, I believe the breaking strength of that line is 600lb but that is not confirmed. Regarding using an old set of lines, I would be wary as if you put a knot in a kite line it is a point of weakness. I would suggest using spectra lines if you do not have Q power lines available.

Crash Test, we intend to make the mods available for sale in about a month’s time, both on the web and through a dealer so…. hold on! Also, any new 2006 kites that get sold will come with the mod for free as soon as we have it available for distribution.

Kurt! Yes, this mod will make a difference for sure. The first mod that we posted will only make a moderate difference but this one will be pretty significant. - Here’s the rub:

- If you look at the 2006 kites the angle between the lines coming from the rear of the kite to the rear line attachment and back up to the rear line pully is pretty open (these lines are short and so the angle is open to accomodate) This means that pulling on the rear lines will result in the pully neeeding to allow the line to slide through it for quite some distance until it has, essentially, straightened itself enough to result in a solid pull on the back of the kite and, as a result, a steering input.

- For 2007 we have lengthened these lines to close this angle. As a result any input is directly translated to the kite and resluts ina faster turning kite. These bridle mods will make the 2006 kites react similarly!

John Z OR :evil:

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 18 September 2006 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-01-17

To go back a bit I had the same experience with the 16 that many others have already discussed. So, put the new bridle mod on last weekend, got to the beach and decided to put the line extensions back on hoping the bridle mod would make the longer line set useful. Wind on the light side down low (maybe 15 km) but hoped ther was more a little higher. Launched the kite and couldn’t believe that it was FAR more responsive that it was before - it felt and performed so much better, actually felt “lively”. There was a little more wind up higher and the kite parked nicely at the zenith, turned easier and had good response on bar movement, nice floaty jump power -  got out on the water and had a great ride.

Thanks for the directions - I would highly recommend doing the mod.
(haven’t tried it on the 12 yet)

Mark

Posted: 25 September 2006 02:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-10

Mark,

Thanks for that posting!

I am really glad to hear all the positive feed back we have received about the effect of the bridle modifications.

As I indicated earlier, pre-manufactured mods will be available shortly. In the mean time get cracking at making those mods yourself!

John Z

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 04 October 2006 06:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2006-06-29

16m One bridle mod

I just tried the newest bridle mod on my 16m One. Wind started off really light, maybe 8mph, so most kites were parked on the beach. Took out my trusty 179 03’ Litewave and was at least able to ride downwind, easily passing up a couple other kiters including a 16m Switchblade. The mod makes a lot of difference especially when sheeted out and also on the bottom turns. You don’t have to sheet in to initiate turns as before. I’d say turning is about 20-50% faster overall without any noticeable increase in bar pressure. I was able to work the available wind much better and stay out when others were packing it in. When the wind eventually picked up to about to 15-16 mph, I easily worked my way back upwind about a quarter mile to where I had started. Wave riding was much improved because the kite is so much easier to turn when sheeted out. I agree with others that the heavy build of the One slows its turn responsiveness. Get it wet with a little sand on it and the thing turns unbearably slow. That said, keeping it as light as possible is important, so if you’re an ocean rider, wash the salt off frequently.

Posted: 05 October 2006 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

Looking forward to updated 12M ‘ONE’ bridle. Just confirmed with O.R. designer R. Harrington that the 2007 14 (yes 14 !!!) & 16M ‘ONE’ kites will have reduced mass & narrow strut tubes. ~ 2 weeks away…Off to install my ‘GoJoe’ & remove my board leash. Better late to the party than never to arrive. 8)

Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2006 09:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-10
[quote author=“jimmy lewis”] Better late to the party than never to arrive. 8)

You were at the party? Hold on, was I at the party? What night was that? Man…I need to slow down.

:wink:

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 12 November 2006 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-07-26

wow, it works

I built my own bridal mod yesterday and attached it to my 06 16 One.  We had wind blowing all night here in NW Florida, but I didn’t have a Q-Beam and assistant to light my way while I rode.  Got up this morning and headed to the beach.  Breeze was dying but still had about 12mph while I was pumping up.  Had a student come out to see if the wind was going to hold.  As soon as we started walking out, the wind dropped down to about 5-7mph.  If that.  :cry:

This launch requires you to walk out about 300 ft to the wind line to launch, so I got the kite rolled over on it’s back while I was walking.  I reluctantly had my student help get the kite onto it’s side so I could force a launch (I mean the wind was REAL light, you know, “grab the center lines and walk upwind to get it in the air light”).  The kite climbed up to the top and I was IMMEDIATELY able to tell the difference this mod makes.  I was able to do loops without having to horse the bar back and the kite just seemed to behave a lot better.  In short:  PUT THIS MOD ON YOUR KITE!  It was really easy to make following John’s instructions or they should be available from your OR dealer. 

I can’t wait to try this in some wind!  :D

Posted: 14 November 2006 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-10

Re: wow, it works

[quote author=“larry”] The kite climbed up to the top and I was IMMEDIATELY able to tell the difference this mod makes.  I was able to do loops without having to horse the bar back and the kite just seemed to behave a lot better.  In short:  PUT THIS MOD ON YOUR KITE!  It was really easy to make following John’s instructions or they should be available from your OR dealer. 

I can’t wait to try this in some wind!  :D

These are now instock. Get on the horn with your local dealer and get them ordered up…or make one yourself!

John Z - OR :evil: 

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 17 November 2006 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-19

Just back from a session in VERY light wind. So light that I would have used my 14M Bronco…BUT I was keen to try my 12M ONE with the latest bridle mod. MAN am I happy with the result. To me the ONE now feels as stable as my old ‘C’ (bronco) kites…Praise indeed…Sure I walked upwind a few times but I’m no fly weight & I was out in just enough wind to keep the kite in the air to, at most, 12 knots.  Thanks for your ongoing upgrades O.R..

Signature 

Posted: 20 November 2006 10:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-10

Further to Sheldon’s posting…

Sheldon is a (as far as I understand) very agressive and high level flier and as such was a huge fan of the One right out of the bag. I would say that the 16m Ones would benifit the most from the bridle mods as it will help get them around in a hurry. If you can already flash the 12’s around then there is no need to modify but for those coming from a C kite background you might want to try the mods to give you a more familar feeling.

Sheldon, just to assuage your concerns, everyone who has tried the 07 7, 9, 12, 14 and 16m Ones are in love with them…a good thing just got better.

JZ

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 01 December 2006 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2006-01-17

John:

Are the bridal mod kits in house yet?  Looking for the 12m One bridal kit.

Thanks,

Brad

Signature 

St. John’s Newfoundland

Posted: 03 December 2006 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2006-12-03

[quote author=“Burness”]John:
Are the bridal mod kits in house yet?  Looking for the 12m One bridal kit.

Quoted for emphasis. I tried to find the kit in the OR online shop without success.

I live in a country with no local OR reps, so my options are pretty much limited to buying the kit directly from OR or making my own. I guess I could do the latter since I’ve build a few foil depower systems. etc. in my time, but I feel lazy rolleyes and a factory-built kit would impress potential buyers if I ever end up selling my 16m² darling.

Best wishes
Kahis

Posted: 13 December 2006 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-10

Kahis

Email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) with your mailing information….I will take care of you.

JZ

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

1 of 2