Which 2011 bar?

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2010-12-30

PM

Hello to you all.

I’ve been riding Ocean Rodeo equipment for nearly 18 months now, which I thoroughly enjoy. The build quality is excellent and the performance and stability of the Rise is far superior to other kites I have owned cheese .

I use my 48-55 SLE3.0 with all of my kites and think the bar is excellent however I have previously used other bars and prefer the over the bar depower.

I am thinking of purchasing a smaller bar specifically for my 9m 2011 Rise and was wandering whether the 2011 Freestyle bar could or more specifically should be used with the Rise as its doesn’t have the same throw to depower the Kites, which may be a problem in gusty conditions especially coming off the beach. I mainly wave ride and have just cracked toe side however I have recently started attempting some freestyle jumps and tricks.

Any advice / experience of using the new bar with a Rise quiver?

Signature

6, 12 and 14m Rise (2010)
9m Rise (2011)
Mako King (2010)
SLE3.0
Nobile 666 (2010)
Session 2 Harness

Local Beach Bantham, Devon, UK

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

I love the freestyle bar.  In 7 years its the first bar I haven’t wanted to change anything.  Pretty much perfect.  Came trimmed perfectly for both kites out of the bag.  Also pretty much a first.  The freestyle bar still has plenty of throw.

Was testing a few different kites on snow the other day and couldn’t help notice the clutter of one of the other bars.  Found it funny cause it’s basically the exact same set up as the freestyle bar minus the swivel, just the hardware and dimensions were all different.  It works fine, but was kind of a mess with slack mini 5th sagging and wrapping.  Back on my own kite the bar just looked so tidy.  Same system, way better execution.  Somehow you guys have managed to get rid of any bungee in the mini 5th but it still stays nice and clean with any slack getting pulled out by the leash.  Pretty nifty how the way you have run it up through the trim stap helps keep that tidy too.

I remember riding OR for their garage tech bar a few years back.  Its all pretty sweet now.  Well done.

Joined 2010-12-30

PM

Hi Brent456, thank you for your feedback, can I ask do you use the bar with a Rise kite?

Signature

9m Rise (2011)
Mako King (2010)
SLE3.0
Nobile 666 (2010)
Session 2 Harness

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

Which bar are we to use above or below what a dilemma.
Loads of depower or mini fifth line in enough to confuse any Fella.

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Wellard,

If you want above the bar depower and don’t mind the somewhat more limited throw for the bar the 2011 Freestyle bar is your best choice for sure - for all the same reasons Brent has listed. The bar still offers very good travel but it is important to note that the 2011 Freeride bar does offer more, now - in gusty conditions - you can just pull in some trim on the Freestyle bar and handle the gusts with the throw the bar offers.

One thing I will mention is that if your only reason not to prefer the below the bar trim is due to the frustrations of adjusting the trim with your 2010 bar we have addressed this concern. The trim line in the 2010 chicken loop has to angle to get out to the cleat and this generated friction. For 2011 we made its path straight through the CL to the cleat, making it much smoother to adjust. If you wish to refit your 2010 bar wait until the trim line is getting frayed and order a new 2011 chicken loop at the same time you replace your trim line… ! smile

Also - to be clear - yes, both 2011 SLE bars (freestyle and freeride) will work perfectly with both the Razor and Rise kites, including last year’s and year’s previous kites. (Though, you might want to upgrade the bridles to the new roll over bridle system to allow the kite to roll over when ejected).

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

wellard - 07 January 2011 06:12 PM

Hi Brent456, thank you for your feedback, can I ask do you use the bar with a Rise kite?

razors.

if you ride mostly hooked in the below bar trim is great.  You really wont use it much with all that throw.  Maybe once after you launch and thats it.

If your trying to get the kite trimmed just right unhooked and need to re adjust every so often when the wind is up or down a bit the above bar trim is easier to make incremental changes in either direction.

They both work and its great that OR offer us the choice.

Joined 2010-12-30

PM

Thank you all. I have decided to buy the smaller width Freestyle bar as I already have the larger width SLE 3.0, this way I have the choice of either.

Signature

9m Rise (2011)
Mako King (2010)
SLE3.0
Nobile 666 (2010)
Session 2 Harness

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

And I have a Freestyle bar on order for my 9M Rise as well wink

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 25

Joined 2007-09-22

PM

johnz - 07 January 2011 07:21 PM

Wellard,

If you want above the bar depower and don’t mind the somewhat more limited throw for the bar the 2011 Freestyle bar is your best choice for sure - for all the same reasons Brent has listed. The bar still offers very good travel but it is important to note that the 2011 Freeride bar does offer more, now - in gusty conditions - you can just pull in some trim on the Freestyle bar and handle the gusts with the throw the bar offers.

One thing I will mention is that if your only reason not to prefer the below the bar trim is due to the frustrations of adjusting the trim with your 2010 bar we have addressed this concern. The trim line in the 2010 chicken loop has to angle to get out to the cleat and this generated friction. For 2011 we made its path straight through the CL to the cleat, making it much smoother to adjust. If you wish to refit your 2010 bar wait until the trim line is getting frayed and order a new 2011 chicken loop at the same time you replace your trim line… ! smile

Also - to be clear - yes, both 2011 SLE bars (freestyle and freeride) will work perfectly with both the Razor and Rise kites, including last year’s and year’s previous kites. (Though, you might want to upgrade the bridles to the new roll over bridle system to allow the kite to roll over when ejected).

John Z

Hi John

It’s nice to hear that you have fixed the trim problem with the 2010 because it’s very annoying. There are two problems with that bar, first it ejects to easy and then you almost can’t depower when you surf.
Regarding the bridle, do you mean that I can change the bridle of my Rise 12m 2010 so it can roll over when ejected? Does that affect how it behaves in any other way?
Does that only work with the new bar or does it also work with the normal bar for rise?

I will get my new Razor 8m in any day and it will have the new bar so I get both options.

//henrik

Joined 2010-12-30

PM

New bar and lines in hand just need some more wind to test now

Signature

9m Rise (2011)
Mako King (2010)
SLE3.0
Nobile 666 (2010)
Session 2 Harness