Extending throw on 2010 razor (frestyle) bar

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2010-11-15

PM

i have just swapped over my rise bar for a razor bar as i prefer the above bar depower

after a couple of rides i have come to the conclusion that a few more inches of throw would be great, especialy in the gusts.

im just wondering if anyone has any tips on extending the throw.

by looking at it i need to increase the length of the line between the chicken loop and depower
( i think i will need to replace the rope as it is too short)

and i need to shorted the line above the depower.

i have the 2010 razor bar not the 2011 as shown in pic

any help would be great.

cheers
Dan

Image Attachments

3.jpg

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2010-12-30

PM

Surely if you extend the power lines by adding a longer rope then all lines will not be equal, and you could cause a back stall as you steering lines would be shorter than the power lines. Why can’t you just depower the kite?

Signature

6, 12 and 14m Rise (2010)
9m Rise (2011)
Mako King (2010)
SLE3.0
Nobile 666 (2010)
Session 2 Harness

Local Beach Bantham, Devon, UK

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2011-04-13

PM

I’ve noticed the same short throw with the freestyle bar.  Yes, replacing the depower line with one allowing a longer throw (perhaps 4-6inches) will increase the amount of depower.  And, to keep the kite properly tuned you need to shorted the line above the depower straps an equal amount.  Not too hard to do in you know how to spice lines.  Should only take an hour to do this modification.

Just to be sure, I also bought the fusion bar which has a longer throw (@ 15cm) and confirmed this does have the desired effect of having more depower.  I definately prefer the fusion bar in gusty conditions / wave riding.  It makes a big difference.

Good luck with the modification.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

I also have the freestyle bar and I am considering removing the push through line stopper. The bar pressure is so light on my Rise and the throw so short, who needs it? By removing it, I can get an extra one or two centimeters extra throw on the bar without having to splice.

I mean I have never used the stopper so it makes sense in my case.

kind regards
Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

Recent news: My original depower strap was defective so headquarters shipped me a new one. To remove the depower strap, I had to cut through the above the bar spliced line going up to the swivel. It seems that splice there was just too hard to pick out due to double stitching with thread the same color as the line. I had to cut it and attached it back to the swivel with a bowline knot. This means that I am about 4 cm shorter than before.

This gave me an idea. By adjusting the above the bar line’s length and tying it off with a bowline knot, one can then add a new depower rope length corresponding to the length you have taken up above the strap. So my recommendation is to cut one end of the above the strap line and then use this length adjustment to determine your depower rope length. The result will be a much more adequate bar throw than the really limited travel that is presently on the bar.

kind regards
Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Looks like you may have sussed it Kirk.

Being a habitual fidgeter I’ll be looking at this once I get my Freestyle bar in the next week or so.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

noo noo - 14 November 2011 08:49 AM

Looks like you may have sussed it Kirk.

Being a habitual fidgeter I’ll be looking at this once I get my Freestyle bar in the next week or so.

News flash!
To remove the center line above the trim strap, it should be possible to slip the spliced loop end closest to the strap, over the strap to release it. When that is free, you can unfasten the other end. You can then just tie one end of the center line to the swivel with a bowline knot to shorten it.

So, rather than cutting one end of your rope as I did, try the above first.
Kirk

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide