Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

other kids ride their little bikes…

an artist!

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

El Rudo!!! Props man thats a wicked video of an insanely talented artist. Canada’s very own Ryan Leech probably has some serious respect for this young talent. My younger brother used to be hardcore about this sport but kiting has now become his main passion much like mine. Check out Ryan Leech if you’ve never heard of him, his video Crux is insane style with some dope music. And check this wiki page out. Ryan’s goal has been to inspire younger riders to take up this amazing adaptation of normal bike riding through the development of his own instructional video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Leech

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Ryan Leech is an incredible rider for sure but - I have to be honest, no one touches Danny for style and grace.

His original Inspired Bikes video has 22 million views and lead to his Red Bull sponsorship and the production of the video Rudo shows above. As nice as that video is, the original Inspired Bikes kills it.

John Z - OR

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

yeah John I was one (now two) of the 22 million - that video had my jaw dropped for days I had to ducktape it back.

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

Thanks John, I hadn’t seen that first one. big surprise

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Very nice, reminds of the ” glory days “. Never had the talent for trials, but did have the balls to huck myself off some decent sized stuff and hope that I landed wheels side down and missed the rocks. Pics are circa ‘98 in BC. Myself and my bros were fortunate enough to be a part of the start of the core freeride/DH movement. Heading into the woods in the off season loaded down with guns, chainsaws and earth moving tools to build crazy stuff was as much fun as the riding itself.  Sadly most of this stuff is gone now - big swathes of forest leveled to build houses too big and too far away from everything..but hey, you can a watch crappy TV on a really big screen if you have one!

” Three Holes, No Waiting ” SE Kelowna. Worked out okay - cleared the tranny and landed in the flats, but rode it out and made the gap in the trees.

Random hit, base of a training run, Knox, Kelowna.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

This is great stuff you guys!
I had no idea you were into huck’n yourself like that Evan, those pics are cool!

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Wooow Evan! That’s some serious looking air!
My bike o batics never went beyond riding backwards, butt on handlebar and playing guitar.

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

El Rudo - 02 December 2010 07:27 PM

yeah John I was one (now two) of the 22 million - that video had my jaw dropped for days I had to ducktape it back.

For about 2 months after that video 1st came out I watched it at least once a day, often times twice. It helps that the song, Funeral by Band of Horses is one of my favourites though! (If you enjoyed the song look up more of their stuff and perhaps even some Fleet Foxes too!)

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 152

Joined 2007-06-26

PM

I can watch this all day
seen it about a 100 times John got me stoked.

Signature

on fire

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2010-05-16

PM

I love freeride and trials vids, got a whole pile of ‘em here at the house,.... these two are great.
Didn’t get on a mountain bike until I was around 30, been riding for 20+ years now still love it, love it, love it.
When we were kids (1963-1973) we rode Schwinn Stingray’s around and tore ourselves up on those, before BMX bikes, before mountain bikes.  First time a fellow employee showed up at work with a mountain bike I took it out for a spin…bought one four days later.
The week I got my mountain bike was the first time I skipped our early Sunday morning golf round (played golf every week for years)....I’ve never played golf since.
My oldest brother is 62 now and rides about twice a week… he raced motorcycles when I was a kid, I turned him on to mountain bikes when he was 45, at this point he can still outclimb lots in their twenties, he is a running fanatic so his lungs are massive.
Then I’ve got two brothers who couldn’t run around the block!.....funny how some stay young/active and other just don’t.  I think I’m hyperactive, can’t really face the idea of getting old and not playing like a kid. If I’m not kiteboarding, I run in the woods with my Pittie, mountain bike, kayak, longboard street carving, road bike, and snowboarding which I hardly ever get to do anymore. Kiteboarding is what keeps me from missing snowboarding.  Would love to come up and ride bikes in the northwest. New York state was good and Austin Texas has some nice bike trails but you guys got the real stuff!  No complaints though, were going to Corpus tomorrow to kite in 70 degree weather!!

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Take a look through the current issue of ” Bike ” magazine - the drops/kickers are completely nuts. Up until recently stuff like this was only possible on a dirt bike. Makes the stuff we were doing back in the day look like child’s play.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

EvanStolze - 06 December 2010 04:04 AM

Makes the stuff we were doing back in the day look like child’s play.

Not to those of us that don’t have the balls to do big jumps or drop-offs.

I can do some on a snowboard, but not with a bike.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Joined 2010-05-16

PM

Take a look through the current issue of ” Bike ” magazine - the drops/kickers are completely nuts. Up until recently stuff like this was only possible on a dirt bike. Makes the stuff we were doing back in the day look like child’s play.

Yep, the stuff guys are doing now is stunning and awesome…. of course, full boinger bicycles have more travel now than the Motocross cycles my brother raced on in the late sixties and early seventies!
I run 4 inches in back and it gets the job done but I’m just bombing around with the rubber down, not huckin’ like you were doing.
How old are you Evan?... I’ve not see a pic of your face so I was not able to hazard a guess.

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Chrys - 07 December 2010 01:34 AM

Yep, the stuff guys are doing now is stunning and awesome…. of course, full boinger bicycles have more travel now than the Motocross cycles my brother raced on in the late sixties and early seventies!
I run 4 inches in back and it gets the job done but I’m just bombing around with the rubber down, not huckin’ like you were doing.
How old are you Evan?... I’ve not see a pic of your face so I was not able to hazard a guess.

For sure the bikes play a part, but even in my day I had plenty of travel - 40lb bike with 6” front/8” rear. What can be done is limited by the body, not the bike…...I quit riding almost ten years ago (I’m a couple years shy of the big 4-0) with a permanent neck injury to show for it. Pretty cool stuff now though - variable geometry bikes so the grunt uphill is less painful but you can ride do some pretty legit freeride/DH stuff on the way down.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2010-05-16

PM

Evan- We have the neck in common.
I had four of my vertebrae fused several years ago.
The Doc removed three discs, dremeled out the inside of the four vertebrae openings (all the scar tissue) to let the spinal fluid flow again, replaced the discs with “cages” full of glue and protein and then screwed a titanium plate and eight screws to the four vertebrae to make all of them as one. The pain for two weeks after surgery was just a black cloud from hell.
So now I have two moving vertebrae left at the top of my neck and the rest of the way down is one solid chunk!
Doctor told me if I did not have the surgery I would spend my fifties and beyond in a wheelchair.
Neck feels pretty good most days but my left hand is somewhat/a little numb permanently.
But hey!!.. I still get to play at most of the stuff I like to do so bless that surgeon.
I think kiteboarding is a great choice for those of us that love the adrenalin flow but wanna save our skin.