Flying pics of the 2011 Rise…

Image Attachments

DSC_0054.jpg
DSC_0039.jpg
DSC_0079.jpg

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Today I had my first real session on the Razor…....let’s just say that my beloved Rise kites are for sale!

6m, high teens, maybe the odd gust over 20. 5’11 Surf. Normally I would have taken an 8 or 9m Rise but really wanted to try the 6 Razor. I’m stoked I did. Bullet points:

1) Way more low end than the Rise. Another rider was pumping his 11m Rise and took my eight and rocker it. A third tester said the eight pulled harder than his 10m Rise.

2) Super fast, on its own axis turning - this is a sick wave kite.

3)  Instant relaunch - easy the bar out, the kite pivots, pull a little and she’s up.

4) Unhooking - no comparison to the Rise - no backstall at all at full power (no trim required) and far more control and consistent position in the window.

Overall, the Rise of course has a larger wind range on account of the massive top end, but in every other department she gives it up to the Razor. Hands down I think’ll you struggle to find a comparable kite to the Razor on the market. smile

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

Very nice stuff! I’m interested more in new Mako features, wood core (more flex?) combined with less weight (how much less for 150 wide?) seems great. I see (FINALLY!!!) holes for 3 fins on one side, very happy about this riding waves. I have a question: the 2 lateral fins are parallel (like I’ve seen in 2010 King) or slightly converge (like all surfboard)?

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2009-07-24

PM

Finally, a definite opinion about the low end of the Razor, thank you thank you! And what a sweeeet low end it is purported to be. grin

EvanStolze - 21 September 2010 04:11 AM

Is it when you are riding down the line towards the kite that it rotates about it’s own axis? C-shapes are generally noted for turning about the wing tip, not about their own axis, so I am a little confused - can you clarify your meaning a bit?

Cheers

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

I’m stoked about the colour of the 2011 Mako King…very nice! 

I can’t really tell if people are joking about liking the Razor graphics over the new Rise….they look like very similar designs so I can’t see how you’d love one and hate the other???  I liked the 2010 Rise design….clean, bright and easy to spot on the water.

Ultimately I care about performance so as long as the kite is a joy to fly and the graphic design isn’t seizure inducing I’m happy.

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2010-09-18

PM

im thinking it all looks great and cant wait to get em
cool as, cool smile

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

silas - 21 September 2010 01:35 PM

Finally, a definite opinion about the low end of the Razor, thank you thank you! And what a sweeeet low end it is purported to be. grin

EvanStolze - 21 September 2010 04:11 AM

Is it when you are riding down the line towards the kite that it rotates about it’s own axis? C-shapes are generally noted for turning about the wing tip, not about their own axis, so I am a little confused - can you clarify your meaning a bit?

Cheers

Nope, sorry. I don’t get that technical. Remember, this an SLE kite with a pronounced C shape, not a C kite. The kite can be looped tight, hard and fast in its place with little pull, or put through a big, powered kite loop with associated consequences. smile

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

VikB - 21 September 2010 03:33 PM

I’m stoked about the colour of the 2011 Mako King…very nice! 

I can’t really tell if people are joking about liking the Razor graphics over the new Rise….they look like very similar designs so I can’t see how you’d love one and hate the other???  I liked the 2010 Rise design….clean, bright and easy to spot on the water.

Ultimately I care about performance so as long as the kite is a joy to fly and the graphic design isn’t seizure inducing I’m happy.

Roger that Vik, and if I wanted to discuss cosmetics I’d line up with the broads at the Macy’s counter. smile

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Total Posts: 571

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

if I wanted to discuss cosmetics I’d line up with the broads at the Macy’s counter. smile

Cheers,

Evan

LOL Priceless - says it all LOL

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2009-07-24

PM

EvanStolze - 21 September 2010 03:54 PM

The kite can be looped tight, hard and fast in its place with little pull, or put through a big, powered kite loop with associated consequences.

All the clarification I was looking for, thanks.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2010-09-18

PM

big powered kiteloop action
hmmm could be in for a real ass whiping
yeeehaaa happy days   shock

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

poldo - 21 September 2010 07:00 AM

I see (FINALLY!!!) holes for 3 fins on one side, very happy about this riding waves. I have a question: the 2 lateral fins are parallel (as in any TT and as I’ve seen in 2010 Mako King ) or slightly converge (like all surfboards)?

any info?

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Hi Poldo,
  The side fins on the mutant Makos are parallel to the center line , not toed in like on a surfboard. This allows the boards to be ridden tail first while still in mutant mode and when we tested the boards with the fins toed in we found that the boards were very hard to ride at high speed as the windward side fin was lifting the tail too much.

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

EvanStolze - 20 September 2010 08:12 PM

John Z and I are a case in point here - he’s a huge fan of the new Rise look, while I think the Razor looks bad ass. Three guesses as to which will each by riding, and the first two don’t count….....smile

Cheers,

Evan

Ha! I’ll be on Razors for sure this year - no question. 3/3 best sessions of my life have been the last 3 sessions on the Razor.

I thought the Crew would be interested in some of these images too. Please note all models of Rise, going back to 07 as well as the new Razor kites will fly perfectly well on both the new 2011 SLE Freestyle and 2011 Freeride bar set-ups

(click any image below to expand)

2011 SLE Freestyle Bar

2011 SLE Freeride Bar

2011 Rise Colour Options

(Note: The Orange in this image is meant to be the same orange we have used the last 3 years, bright / florescent orange. Photoshop does not have a good option to show this in a diagram though. This kite will be called The Corporate for this year, done in our company colours of Orange and grey!)

2011 Razor Colour Options

2011 Rise in flight - White drop out

2011 Rise in flight - No drop out

2011 Razor in flight - White drop out

2011 Razor in flight - No drop out

John Z - OR

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2009-12-30

PM

Ross Harrington - 22 September 2010 03:30 PM

Hi Poldo,
  The side fins on the mutant Makos are parallel to the center line , not toed in like on a surfboard. This allows the boards to be ridden tail first while still in mutant mode and when we tested the boards with the fins toed in we found that the boards were very hard to ride at high speed as the windward side fin was lifting the tail too much.

Hi Ross. thanks very much for the reply and the explication. Looking forward to test the new Mako’s here in Mediterranean, I expect even better ride than the very good 2009/2010 boards