Learning backroll on a Mako
Posted: 10 September 2010 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-08-16

I am learning backrolls on a Mako (never done them on any other board).  I can land them about half the time, but the one thing I’ve found is that even though all the tutorials I read say you should just do a load and pop (rather than kite-send) while you are learning… that doesn’t work too well with the Mako, since it’s not great for popping.  So, I’m just sending the kite a little bit (not trying to do a huge boost), and then immediately leveling it off again as I start my rotation and leave the water.  Why do they recommend not to send the kite when learning backrolls?  I’m guessing just because it makes it more complicated (and because you don’t want too much air)... and yeah it is hard sometimes to keep track of where the kite is as I’m upside down and backwards, but doing “baby boosts” seems to make that easier.

Any tips from other Mako riders on how they do rotations with this board, and how it compares to a rotation with a “normal” twin tip?

Thanks!

Also… since the Mako isn’t great for popping… does this mean you can’t do things like unhooked raleys?  (Not anything I’m working on yet, but maybe in the near future)

Signature 

WingsuitPhotos.com

Posted: 11 September 2010 01:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2007-03-19

I ride a Mako Classic fairly regularly, and when I do I certainly throw in lots of backrolls.

When I learned how to do a backroll I did sent jumps as well. I also just did small ones, flying the kite quite slowly and just sheeting in as it comes to 12.00. I found this gave a smooth bit of pull and just a bit of airtime - you don’t need much to complete a rotation.

I actually find popped backrolls harder, as they are very fast and you land with a lot of speed and on your edge (at least I do). I also find with the popped versions I get a more vertical rotation (which is cooler, but more difficult I think).

I think you’re right in that common lore would say that flying the kite makes it more complicated. I find I just have to think very clearly which is my front hand, and to consciously pull on that as I’m about halfway around. If you can do that, the sent backrolls are easy! Plus they are loads of fun to play with getting more air, and slowing the rotation, putting in grabs… etc.

Regarding how the Mako spins compared to a freestyle board… I find the Mako is a bit more cumbersome, and I definitely prefer popped moves on my freestyle board, but I can still pop a backroll on the Mako if I really want to. With the Mako I’ve found you need to be a bit more aggressive with your front hand on the landing. Since it doesn’t have the planing ability of a freestyle board (Mako is narrower, and has that huge concave), it will be easier to stay up and land with more power in the kite. That’s my opinion anyway.

Have fun!

Posted: 11 September 2010 04:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  462
Joined  2006-06-15

Use the speed of your mako and a little wave . That will flick you up plenty high enough .

Posted: 11 September 2010 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2008-11-09

Yeah I have no problems on my Mako 140, probably would on the 150 as it does feel big in the air to me. With the 140 it’s no problem because I have more grip and can hold more speed popping off a wave than on a regular freestyle board. In flat water, the lack of pop does make it more difficult

Posted: 11 September 2010 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-16

Thanks for the input, all.

Ned - 11 September 2010 01:37 AM

I actually find popped backrolls harder, as they are very fast and you land with a lot of speed and on your edge (at least I do). I also find with the popped versions I get a more vertical rotation (which is cooler, but more difficult I think).

Yeah, I know what you mean.  After reading the true “definition” of a backroll on the PKRA site, some of mine where I send the kite would be more accurately called a… flat spin (?)... I think, rather than a true backroll.  I definitely feel more like I’m doing an actual roll when I pop it rather than send it.  Though I think people pretty commonly refer to both versions as just rolls.  Also I guess you could make it more vertical on a kitesend version, just by simply leaning back more and inverting yourself.

Still curious if there is anyone pulling off unhooked raleys and such on a Mako, or if pure wakestyle stuff like that is a lost cause on a board like this.

Signature 

WingsuitPhotos.com

Posted: 11 September 2010 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  115
Joined  2007-03-19
The111 - 11 September 2010 07:35 PM

Still curious if there is anyone pulling off unhooked raleys and such on a Mako, or if pure wakestyle stuff like that is a lost cause on a board like this.

I know someone who does a bit but…

Are you really keen on wakestyle? If you are, just buy another board! Personally, I love having a variety of boards. I currently have a 5’6 North Rocketfish, Mako Classic, and Freestyle Zen and love riding them all. Seems to be an occasion for all, and sometimes your mood changes - whatever. I find it keeps me from getting bored or from any style getting played out. If I feel I’m a bit flat or not having fun on one board I just switch to another and find myself in love with kiting all over again!

Posted: 11 September 2010 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-08-16

Yeah, I hear ya.  I have one other board already and probably more to come in the future.  The question was mainly just curiosity. grin  Thanks!

Signature 

WingsuitPhotos.com

Posted: 11 September 2010 09:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2007-05-22

I backroll my Mako 150 wide just like I do with my 135 TT—if you are going to send the kite a little, just remember to pull on your front hand when you are landing…

Posted: 13 September 2010 02:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  56
Joined  2008-10-21

A little shameless plug, but I made a silly little video of some riding at my not so secret location. I’m riding the Mako Wide, blue kite is a Rise 10m, yellow is a 14m.

In the vid I do a few back rolls:

@ 0:45 kite flies fairly steady @ 45 then I just carve away from the kite with little to no pop and whip er around.
@ 1:00 I got less air since the kite was lower in the window.
@ 2:10 everything seems decent except hands are way too far apart, lucky to stomp that one.
@ 2:25 Lots of carve/pop but kite is heading to zenith and then to FAIL. Totally forgot the front hand pull. At least I should’ve corrected the steering when she was coming down and I might have been back up and planing with a redirect after the landing.

With most jumps they say to keep your hands close to minimize flight error, and of course to pull the front hand as you’re coming down.

Signature 

Rise 7,10,14m | Mako Wide | Nobile T555

Posted: 14 September 2010 04:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Nice Grab - Thanks for the vid!

Love the Beasties sound track too.

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 14 September 2010 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10
The111 - 10 September 2010 07:26 PM

Any tips from other Mako riders on how they do rotations with this board, and how it compares to a rotation with a “normal” twin tip?

111/ Just spot a nice piece of chop and roll off of that.. it’s pretty simple. As nice grab says too, pull your front hand to prevent the kite from climbing too high (stalling out your fwd progress) or, worse, looping…. unless you’re wanting to loop, in which case, pull harder!

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 14 September 2010 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2007-11-20

I do back-rolls all the time on my Mako 150.  Sometimes I send the kite, sometimes I don’t.  The ones I really like are when I use a wave, and also send the kite, which gives me a lot of lift and I can do a super slow rotation.  Send it, don’t sent it, it’s your call.  The PKRA definition is more for their comps and stuff and doesn’t really apply to us non-pros.

As stated, if you send the kite, bring it back, this will also help pull you out of the rotation.

Signature 

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Posted: 20 September 2010 11:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2007-11-20

And on a similar note, I was trying front rolls with the Mako yesterday.  Trickier, as the board has so much suction, but using a little (or big) wave and then spinning off the top helps a lot. grin

Signature 

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One