what size kite do i need to get started

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-08-26

PM

hi, just wondering what size kite i need. i am taking lessons next spring in sauble beach Canada, have never been on the water with kite or even wakeboard. i am 220 lbs and can’t wait to learn, also how much would entry level gear cost me and should i go for used equipment

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Stoked to see that you are getting into the game Zokeimo!

For a guy your size and weight we also need to know average wind speeds. I think Georgian Bay can get quite windy so we will assume you will be kiting in 15-25 knots. In this case, I would say you would be best to get an 8 and a 12m kite. 12m 1st, 8m second.

As for 2nd hand gear, that is your own call. For sure you will be rough on your equipment the 1st season as you will be unfamiliar with it and learning but the newer the equipment the better designed and easier it is to fly. For example, I feel our new 2011 Razor kite is the best beginner kite we have made even though it is actually a high end freestyle / wave kite. It is very stable and easy to re-launch and can easily be de-tuned to a beginner setting to allow for simple use and predictability.

However, if you do elect to go 2nd hand I would advise you not to buy anything older than 2 years old as equipment will degrade over time and has made significant improvements over that time and I would also advise that you bring a knowledgeable friend to the purchase to inspect the gear for wear and tear and over all condition.

John Z - OR

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-08-26

PM

Hi Johnz, just wondering if you have any dealers in south east asia. The dealer finder on the web site does not work for me. If you could pm me that would be great. Sorry for the thread jack.

Thanks.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2010-04-06

PM

I’m 200 lbs and I start kitesurfing this year with a OR rise 14m… I’m located in montreal quebec… wind is rarely above 25 knots… I flew my firts kite last year, a foil kite 6,5m on snow so when I start on water I already know the base to fly a kite…

For me I think the 14m is the best!!! At the beginning of the summer when it was too windy I use de-power or wait that the wind goes down.. Know I use the 14m in almost all wind condition (not above 25 knots) and I’m really happy of that.

My board is a liquid force 145cm… perfect for light wind

My friend is 180 lbs, he have an havoc 12m and i think that if he can go back he will buy a 14m

I buy everything new but last year model, and I get everything from PBkiteboarding… nice website with a lot of price to buld your budget

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Actually John, I’m heavier than you and my biggest kite is 13m, and my golden size is 10m. For a 2 kite quiver in those winds and his powerful build 13 and 10 would be spot on for the 2010 Rise, as the high end of the 10 lives around 30knots, comfort ends at 25. For the older models, 14 and 10. You wouldn’t want to miss out on the magic 10m Rise no matter what vintage.
You can kick in a 8 or 7m later once you’re ready for the big days.