2011 Razor

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

noo noo - 26 September 2010 04:31 PM

Personally I’d be looking at a 10m or 12m Razor to partner an 8m Rise. You would than have 2 kites with similar turning speeds but have the jumping and float that comes with the Rise. More demo time needed.

Thanks Colyn - now I don’t know what to do.  10m Razor or 11m Rise.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2006-01-17

PM

So after riding the 8, 10 and 12m Razors at Windfest, I was in love with it… my one question / concern was for the range and gust handling abilities of this kite…
So I’m 210 lbs / 95kgs and was riding some butter on our lake (on a 10m Razor) when the wind picked up to 35 / 40 knots, and GUSTY!  I had a couple km downwind to get back to our launch / land location and was a little concerned, but other than scaring the shit out of myself by boosting bigger than ever before… everything was good.  There was only one other kite still on the water by the time I got back and people were ready to grab my kite at the waters edge… because that’s the kind of wind it was…
I caught my breath and headed out on the 6m Rise that my wife had been riding before the wind picked up… trimmed it in, load, pop, pull and LOOP!! 
The adrenaline almost popped my eye balls out of my head.

Point being, the Razor can handle some seriously gusty conditions and has some serious range with the Freeride / Rise bar.

Thanks Ross, I now have the kite to take me to the next level of riding.

Signature

Jeff Doepker
www.kitesource.ca

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

vpas - 27 September 2010 12:16 PM
noo noo - 26 September 2010 04:31 PM

Personally I’d be looking at a 10m or 12m Razor to partner an 8m Rise. You would than have 2 kites with similar turning speeds but have the jumping and float that comes with the Rise. More demo time needed.

Thanks Colyn - now I don’t know what to do.  10m Razor or 11m Rise.

Tough call dave. The 10m Razor definitely starts earlier but I’ve no idea what its top end would be and how well it jumps. It turns so much faster than the Rise but I cant argue against the progress I’ve made on the Rise this year. Fantastic kite. Definately want more time on the Razor to answer that questions on its performance when powered and where the top end is compared to the low end of the 8m Rise.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2010-09-28

PM

can people advise how to setup the razors in terms of line length?
I used an 8m in light winds for first time yesterday and found it really likes running off the front lines and any sort of oversheeting and it was going backwards fast.  Is this right?
I dont have the OR bar so just playing with another bar to try to get right.
Found i had to run it one length to get around then yank on the depower strap to be able to unhook on a wave and even then it was stalling and wanting to go backwards a bit so had to tamper with a chicken loop yank to keep it up every now and then.
It was ligh winds, like 12-16 knots max.  I was very suprised at how well it was going and getting me around (on a surfboard).  was pointing super easy and holding ground no worries.

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

The Razors certainly have loads of bottom end grunt .  I was surprised and impressed. I think your line lengths are slightly wrong. I put the 8m on my Rise’s sle bar and it flew straight of. No back stalling
When your bar is against the chicken loop and depower set to full the loops at the kite end should all be the same length. You then need to add a 3” fool proof pig tale to the rear lines. In other words the loop on the front lines will be 3” shorter than the knot on the rear.

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Yup tough call for the average 75kgs rider here - 10m or 12m.

Definately interested to hear what peoples experiences of the 10m and 12m are. Low end and top end of each

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Joined 2010-09-28

PM

sunrise - 28 September 2010 07:55 AM

The Razors certainly have loads of bottom end grunt .  I was surprised and impressed. I think your line lengths are slightly wrong. I put the 8m on my Rise’s sle bar and it flew straight of. No back stalling
When your bar is against the chicken loop and depower set to full the loops at the kite end should all be the same length. You then need to add a 3” fool proof pig tale to the rear lines. In other words the loop on the front lines will be 3” shorter than the knot on the rear.

thanks sunrise, the pig tales would explain it as i dont have them.  ill check and adjust lines tonight and re-test.
Of course murphy’s law has turned the wind off now that i have new kites to demo…

Joined 2010-09-28

PM

second session with the 8m razor.  wind was prob only 14-16 knots.  Some were out at Scabs with 10’s to 14’s.  I figured id just pump up and see how it flies after line length mods from the weekend.  Put it in the air and thought, this feels enough.
I was correct.  Was holding ground on my 6 foot surfboard and getting about with little effort.
CANNOT believe the low end of this thing, so good!!!  Thats an 8m!
Started unhooking on waves and if depowered it flies down the line really well.  Did need a few inches of yank on the depower strap tho.  sits really well and stable.  That constant pull feels good, not too strong or twitchy or yanky so you can concentrate on surfing the wave.
I am curious to see how they handle stronger wind.

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2010-05-21

PM

Hey Crew, I’m trying to decide whether to get the 2011 13m Rise or 2011 12m Razor for my light wind kite for riding good down the line waves waist high to 15’ faces with side on winds. I’m a big guy- 6’4”  230 lbs. ride surfboards 5’11” to 6’ 4”. Winds here can be light at times,  in the 12-16 mph range. Don’t really care about boosting, just hitting the lip. I have the 2010 Rise 8m 10m 12m now and really like em. Just looking for a kite to get me on the water on the light days when the waves are really good. I hear the Razor is a faster turning kite, which appeals to me especially since I’m on bigger kites than the lighter riders. Any opinions? Remember I’m not a flyweight, I’d like to hear what OR riders think.
Mahalo,
  Timmer

Signature

All I need are some tasy waves, a cool buzz and I’m fine…Jeff Spicoli

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Hey Timmer,

Hope you get some answers.  Plenty of us wondering how small we can reasonably go.  More info on the kites high end character would be great too.

Welcome to the crew.

Joined 2010-05-21

PM

Thanks Brent!  Like that the Razor has a little better low end than Rise. Looking for more feedback about it’s waveriding capabilities. Most wave riders seem to not like
a lot of “grunt” but as a bigger guy I do like it.

Signature

Joined 2006-11-12

PM

I just spent four days on the 10m razor using a 2010 rise bar so time to comment. My current quiver is the 10m razor and 2010 - 7, 9, 11 rise kites (mako 140, surf coming), I weigh in at 155lbs. The wind was around 20 to 40km and I used both 21m lines and 24m on the razor. It took an hour or so to become comfortable and not so yanked around (basically just more pull) but I trimmed it up got more used to it and then….I fell in love with the way it jumps, and has that constant power. I only use the 21m lines now unless it’s very light and then I go to 24. The kite has very good range on 21m lines (with the freeride bar at least). I had seven other riders (3 OR rise, 1 OR one, and 3 misc riders) try it and nobody had any complaints, they all liked it right away and more.

The 10m razor effectively replaces my 11m rise (my biggest kite), and I never felt the need to pull out the 9m rise (although i did try them back to back to see the difference, and yes, they are different kites as has already been discussed). So I was able to comfortably use the 10 m razor right up to the point where the 7m rise kicked in at ~40km.  If I chose or was restricted to 2 kites it would be the 7m rise (an incredible kite in 40 to 65 km) and the 10m razor, a perfect 2 kite quiver for my weight in my area….(but could the 6m razor replace the 7m rise and give similar performance and range?)

A 3 kite quiver would be a 6-8-10 razor or alternatively 7m rise-10m razor-13m rise if you really wanted to power up and had consistent light wind days.

I really like the kite, took a little time to fall for it having never flown anything but high depower kites (mainly ones and rises), but bottom line – the razors a blast and allows for lots of skill progression.

Cheers,
Marc
kiteboardingkelowna.com

Signature

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2010-05-16

PM

Somebody post a report on the Razor 12M…. spill the beans dammit! cheese

Joined 2010-05-21

PM

Yeah Chrys, that’s the info I’ve been trying to get. Hopefully someone will chime in… Also bar pressure-the more I ride my new ‘10 Rise kites the more I realize I’d like more bar pressure.

Signature

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

The Razor has more bar pressure than the Rise - it’s significant but not to the point of being too heavy. 12m Razor will be comparing to the 13m Rise on the low end, perhaps even a little more.

Choosing between the Razor and Rise is not about range or power. It’s about what style of kite you like and what you want to do with it.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales