2011 Razor

Total Posts: 65

Joined 2007-09-14

PM

1 man, 1 kite LOL maybe 2 boards

seems ive flown my 10m rise in 30knts last friday and it wasnt really comfortable but wasnt even the high-end. Can also fly it from about 15knts.

So…. what Razor will offer me the same? the 9 or the 10?

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2007-09-26

PM

you’ll be set with the 10-8-6.  You don’t need a 12m with the razor.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2009-07-24

PM

Good review Andrew, thanks. Totally agree with you, 4m kite spacing is not that great, especially in areas with unstable winds.

As I am heavier and ride smaller boards in an area with pretty lame wind in the summer, I do need a 12m unfortunately. Not sure if I should try to pull a fast one on the wife and go for a 4 kite quiver to cover the wind range all the way up to the winter storms, or go with 12-10 razor and 7m Rise. I am not a big fan of mixed quivers but then again it is hard to calculate how many nights on the couch that extra kite would cost…

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

Great reviews on the Razor.  Will probably pair my 11m Rise with the 8m Razor. At 170 lbs (75kg), should be
the perfect quiver!

Joined 2007-09-26

PM

Silas

If I were doing that mix I would actually go 12-10 Razor and 8 rise.  The 7 Rise has the power of the 6 Razor and thus you will have a huge gap up to 10m.  At 185lbs I have only needed a Rise smaller than 8m on a handful of wave days a year, and I probably could have made an 8 work on some of them.

Conversely you could get 6-8 Razor and then a 12 rise and the jump from 8 to 12 would “seem” more like 2.5 or 3m, not 4.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2009-01-17

PM

Why isn’t there a 14m Razor?
When it turns faster than the Rise and has more power, it would be a great light wind kite..

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

KnutHansen - 22 September 2010 06:46 PM

Why isn’t there a 14m Razor?
When it turns faster than the Rise and has more power, it would be a great light wind kite..

The 15m Light Wind Rise is essentially a whole different kite from both the Rise and the Razor and will offer a 4 strut, light wind option to cap out both ranges of kites. We joked about calling it the Raze or the Riser but in the end only had so much time and energy we could spend on the kite and decided to fit it into an existing line of the kites to save on having to market and advertise it separately.

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2009-07-24

PM

Andrew, thanks for the suggestion. I had considered doing the smaller Razors and a big Rise, but since I’m mostly doing unhooked freestyle in light to moderate winds I want the Razors for that. If I had a passable surf spot in my area I’d go for the smaller Razors but I don’t. So, 12-10 Razor and 8 Rise is what it’s looking like for now.

KnutHansen, I’m guessing limited production capacity, same goes for the odd sizes. Most plausible explanation I can think of. I doubt OR would misread the market that badly, or that us two are such a small part of it that they did read it right and it wasn’t profitable to make those sizes.

Total Posts: 434

Joined 2006-01-11

PM

Guys, we’re not making a 14m Razor because it’s unnecessary for 99.9% of riders. The Razor has a ridiculous amount of low end power. Even most 200# riders are going to be good to go on the 10m Razor unless the wind is very light - in that case, we make a 12m. And, if you are still not convinced (you need to RIDE the kite), as John Z mentioned we are offering a 15m LW Rise, which is very similar to the Razor.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2010-05-16

PM

EvanStolze - 22 September 2010 08:16 PM

Guys, we’re not making a 14m Razor because it’s unnecessary for 99.9% of riders. The Razor has a ridiculous amount of low end power. Even most 200# riders are going to be good to go on the 10m Razor unless the wind is very light - in that case, we make a 12m. And, if you are still not convinced (you need to RIDE the kite), as John Z mentioned we are offering a 15m LW Rise, which is very similar to the Razor.

Cheers,

Evan

So, a 10M Razor has as more power than a Rise 12M? Holy moley. 
Figured I could hold the 12 Razor down until wind is up to a 9M Rise.
180 lbs / ride on inland lakes and coastal winds / Mako 150 / Mako King / Wainmann Blunt 135.
I was thinking that the Razor 12M is gonna feel similar to the Wainman Boss 12M, anybody able to confirm and compare?
Been on the 2008,09,10 Rises and they are the stuff, excited for the Razor 12M for when the wind is 12-22mph… 
Some of these reports leave me feeling like it will be too much to pair with the 9M Rise.
Glad there is lots of feedback flowing….. it helps.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2010-09-18

PM

yeeehaaa
big thanks to richard for letting me be the first in the uk to fly the razors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bad bit ,only in a gusty field gutted not to get them out to sea
had the 6m and 10m up and very impressed with all of it,will ooops
have put the order through so will be off the coast of south wales very soon
cool beans cant wait to get some feedback from the locals and students
pics will follow soon,shame i couldt keep them ones but hes gone off to vansurf with them
thanks again richard
happy days

Joined 2007-09-26

PM

I agree it’s hard to say what works for everyone.  A friend of mine who just got a 10m Razor also has a 12m Wainman kite (I refuse to call each size a different name).  He says the 10m Razor is as powerful as the 12 Wainman.

I have had 2010 Rises in 8,10, 11, 12, and 13m.( at different times)  I can say that the 10m Razor has a low end that I would put between the 11 and 12 Rise. The high end is not as good remember.

I have not flown a 12 Razor and I may never try one.  I would guess that its’ something like a 13m Rise, but with less range.  And, since it’s a 12m it probably won’t be as quick as everyone is saying the 8 and 10 are.  For me the 8m Razor is the really amazing size.  Much like the 9m/10m Rises were the best in my book.  The appeal of a kite shaped like this diminishes for me as the size goes up.  I don’t ride waves or do lots of kite loops on 12m kites. And I don’t unhook much, that is where the 12m Razor would beat a 12m Rise for sure.

I’d rather have a 12m Rise paired with a 8m Razor rather than the other way around.  You’ll just have to try it I guess. 

That’s about all the ruminating that I can do on this subject.  Get out and try em.  Return it if you don’t like it.

Joined 2010-05-16

PM

..double post

Joined 2010-05-16

PM

Andrew Galbraith - 24 September 2010 05:09 PM

A friend of mine who just got a 10m Razor also has a 12m Wainman Boss kite. 
He says the 10m Razor is as powerful as the 12 Wainman.

I have had 2010 Rises in 8,10, 11, 12, and 13m.
I can say that the 10m Razor has a low end that I would put between the 11 and 12 Rise.
The high end is not as good remember.
I have not flown a 12 Razor and I may never try one.  I would guess that its’ something like a 13m Rise, but with less range. 
For me the 8m Razor is the really amazing size.  Much like the 9m/10m Rises were the best in my book.  The appeal of a kite shaped like this diminishes for me as the size goes up.  I don’t ride waves or do lots of kite loops on 12m kites. And I don’t unhook much, that is where the 12m Razor would beat a 12m Rise for sure.  I’d rather have a 12m Rise paired with a 8m Razor rather than the other way around.

Your buddy feels more power in a 10M Razor than the 12M Wainman, wow thats a grunty 10M kite!
Your feeling the 10M Razor is between the 11M and 12M Rise. 
The Wainman 12M felt more powerful than my 12m Rise to me, but I didn’t get much time on it.
Thank you for your feedback

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Well I’m happy to say I’ve managed a go on a 10m Razor. Unfortunately the wind wasn’t playing ball with people only really managing to stay upwind on 13m SLE’s or bigger so I’m guessing the wind was in the 13-14mph range. My 11m Rise couldn’t get me going in fact it was struggling to pick me up out of t water. 10m Razor had me up and planing, but down wind. With the odd gust I was able to gain some ground. Really surprising low end on the kite and its speed is good. Excellent kite to whip around, down loop etc. Wave boys are gonna love it.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to put it through its paces as the wind never quite showed so I cant comment on jumping. I guess I’d have been well powered on the 12m Razor if it can keep pace with the 10m

Personally I’d be looking at a 10m or 12m Razor to partner an 8m Rise. You would than have 2 kites with similar turning speeds but have the jumping and float that comes with the Rise. More demo time needed.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village