Joined  2007-06-26

so where’s your shed

Signature 

on fire

Posted: 29 January 2011 11:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 153 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2010-05-21

Super stoked on the 12m. Just got the 8 and 10…....hasn’t even blown enough for the 12 in ages…..

Signature 

All I need are some tasy waves, a cool buzz and I’m fine…Jeff Spicoli

Posted: 11 February 2011 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 154 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-10-30

Thought I’d resurrect this one.

This is what happened to my new baby the other day!

At the tail end of an absolutely fantastic 8 K downwinder my buddy suffered a rather colossal moment of poor judgment.  Though the lines are TOAST, the kite and bridle were pristine, up and flying today.  One inch abrasion on the canopy is all you can find with a magnifying glass.  Nice work OR.  Still after watching this clip together over a beer it was pretty much agreed that the dude had just bought the kite!  One more to the crew, albeit by the side door!

enjoy

Posted: 11 February 2011 11:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 155 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Brent!

We’re just about to launch a Crew Video contest with small monthly winners and one grand prize winner of a 2012 kite in September. We’ve lined up some sweet prizes and are working on the landing page now…

This my friend is the first official entry.  Such a great video.. we all were laughing here at HQ. Tell your buddy we’re stoked to have him “on” the gear!

JZ

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 12 February 2011 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 156 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2006-11-12

Maybe most of what can be said has been said, but with 5 sessions on the 8 m razor in… 10 to 30 kn… I had to report:  I absolutely love this kite in this size!  Its basic characteristics as previously reported are incredibly stability, power delivery, control and relaunch and… those characteristics didn’t really change no matter how much trim I had to yank in, and I found that impressive. On the low-end I was able to kite in ~10kn (I weigh in at 155 pounds), however that wind was quite dense i.e. cold and seemed to be more powerful, regardless, tremendous low-end.  At the 25 to 30 knot high-end I was definitely wishing I had my 6m razor in my hands but that wind strength didn’t last long and I figured out you can pull in a lot of trim and survive, even kite.  I was using the small freeride bar (24m of total line length) on the 49 cm setting and the turning was brisk but controlled. I would normally use shorter lines with the razor but the 8m is so stable and trimable that doesn’t seem to make too much difference. When jumping on a smaller kite I can usually manage to drop myself out of the sky a number of times, but jumping the 8m razor that never happened regardless of my incompetence or the wind speed. So when you add on all the other things it does incredibly well, including the wider than anticipated wind range, the 8m razor is my new alltime favourite kite.
6/8/10 Razor, Mako 140/50, Surf 5.11

Signature 

Cheers,
Marc
http://kiteboardingkelowna.com

Posted: 15 February 2011 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 157 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2008-11-09

I got out for the first time on my 8m Razor. Winds were in the 14 - 20 knot range probably, I could have stayed on my 12m Rise, but I was having bladder issues so I figured I’d try out the 8m Razor.

I really like the kite, basically everything everyone has said held true. Solid feel, really grunty through the turns, super fast turning, and I like how it sits in the wind window for waves. Boosting will take some getting used too as the more direct feel requires more attention than the 12m Rise, but that’s really with any smaller kite, it was fast through the one or two loops I did.

Relaunch was a lot better/quicker than the 2010 Rise. Overall, I see this kite working out well for a wave kite for someone my size or smaller (185 lbs) and for my high wind kite on days where it’s solid over 20 knots on a twintip.

I’m going to start riding a surfboard more, so I hope to take the 8m out in light winds with a surfboard for downys.

Posted: 21 February 2011 12:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 158 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-30

Resurrecting this one again!  Posted this on KF, thought it fit well here too. Its a bit of a read!

Since you asked,  My current kites are definitely the best I’ve owned, and here’s why. 

For some context,  I ride a surfboard strapless in light wind and wave conditions.  I ride a rockered stiff custom with boots in powered bump and jump conditions.  So, two boards and currently two kites, a 10 and a 6. 

The most important thing I’m looking for in a kite is unhooked performance.  I’ve had a few really good SLE’s before but none of them unhooked well.  They were great kites, but all needed too much strap pulled in to fly unhooked which really killed their performance.  I switched back to modern C kites and thought I’d hit the jackpot.  I was fine with the minor inconveniences of the 5th line and needing a 14m.  The consistency and performance unhooked were well worth it.  This year I stayed with Ocean Rodeo because they have been great to me in the past and I liked my C kites a lot, but they no longer make it, so I went with it’s replacement.  Razors.

Firstly they are absolutely excellent unhooked.  Predictable power,  great pull through the turns, no stall and they stay right where you put em in the window.  On par with my recent quiver of 5 line C’s in every respect with all the added bonuses of being an SLE:
simple 4 line, really powerful, with all the depower that comes with bridles

Now you wanted particulars so here they are:

Its a 4 strut kite.  Lighter, faster, and less pumping than anything I’ve owned. 

The one pump is better than previous years.  The tubes are much shorter and are always straight because the nozzles on LE and struts are angled toward each other.  Simple improvement that makes for easier inflation and deflation as the hoses never kink shut.

The strut construction is better as the closing seam is also where it is sewn to the Canopy.  There is no long seam running up the inside of the strut that tends to weaken where the struts kink while sitting on the beach.  Have had kites need some gluefix there in the past and always look to see how the struts are built.  The struts are also very thin which makes em light and quick to inflate/deflate. 

LE construction is an improvement.  The final closing of the kite is now only from the outside strut to the tips.  Somehow they manage to reinforce the LE from the inside with a flat piece of webbing that runs from outside strut to outside strut.  This is a load bearing piece of webbing sewn flat on the inside of the tube that takes the load off the actual seam.  You cant see the webbing just the stitching, so its pretty subtle, but I notice this stuff.  Its brilliant.  Not easy to picture I’m sure from my description, but it is by far and away better. 

The bridle is as good as it can be.  The kite is C shaped so its only three attachments up the leading edge.  Its nice and compact, and it allows the kite to completely roll on its back when you go to safety or drop the bar unhooked.  A significant improvement over any other kite that flies off its front lines in those situations. 

Relaunch is the best I’ve tried and it easily reverse launches off snow by pulling both rear lines.

This brings up a point.  I think the four strut design that puts a little more depth of chord toward the tips is ideal as the bigger wingtip compared to otherwise similarly shaped three strut kites like the WH or Bandit helps with light wind manners.  There is just a little more wingtip to keep the kite flying when its way off to 10 or 2 o’clock in the window.  Basically the kite just recovers better in really light wind (Sometimes the case on snow).  Those big wingtips also make it really responsive. 

The range of the kites.  I’m down to two kites that overlap nicely.  Especially with my boards.  Both the 10 and 6 are incredibly powerful for their size, yet they are small.  They are fast and fun to fly in the light stuff using a small fast and flat surfboard yet a wake set up gives you tons of strength at the top end of their range, easily 40 knots on the 6m.  I don’t think I’d buy a bigger one.  If I ever got the motivation to go bigger I’d jump straight to a 19m flysurfer.

The bar.  Its clean simple, the swivel works, and they give you the choice of above or below the bar trim.  I like above the bar for various reasons and theirs works perfect while staying tidy.  IMO their chicken loop unit is one of the best out there.  It’s push release, works every time, is simple to reload even in the water it auto aligns perfectly, its light and it doesn’t chew up the bar.  The bushing in the bar is very large and has been the best I’ve owned for not wearing the depower line.  All four flying lines are the same length, 21m.  + 2m for the leaders on the bar and you get a total of 23, no extension crap to snag on unwinding.  Simple, kook proof with pull tabs, and trimmed perfect on both kites out of the bag.

Well thats it.  The Razor is a grunty, fast and well behaved kite, built both light and tough with a lot of attention and evolution in the details.  I have outlined the details for you, but the magic is in the flying.  So much performance with exceptional manners.  Feedback is excellent with nice medium bar pressure.  I’d put up with a lot of missed details or inconvenience for this kind of performance, but quite frankly Ocean Rodeo have not missed a thing when it comes to the fit and finish.  This kite is the complete package and is perfectly geared toward the wave and wake set.

I don’t make a cent off the kite industry, but am lucky enough to be a shop rider so I get a break on costs.  I have the choice of a number of big brands, but I make a decent living and absolutely love to kite so if I thought there was something better I would spoil myself.  Kiting is my addiction and 8 years in I gladly support the great crew of people at Ocean Rodeo.

Peace.

Posted: 21 February 2011 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 159 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2008-04-13

Hey Brent, great review but your timing couldn’t be worse. I received my 10m last Friday and was promised wind over the weekend. Which didn’t happen.
It’s sitting in its bag now an if I listen well I can hear it weep softly. Or is it me?

Posted: 21 February 2011 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 160 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-09-15
Brent4336 - 11 February 2011 10:44 PM

Thought I’d resurrect this one.

This is what happened to my new baby the other day!

At the tail end of an absolutely fantastic 8 K downwinder my buddy suffered a rather colossal moment of poor judgment.  Though the lines are TOAST, the kite and bridle were pristine, up and flying today.  One inch abrasion on the canopy is all you can find with a magnifying glass.  Nice work OR.  Still after watching this clip together over a beer it was pretty much agreed that the dude had just bought the kite!  One more to the crew, albeit by the side door!

enjoy

I’m impressed you still call him your buddy. Fucktard springs to mind! wink

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Posted: 23 February 2011 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 161 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2008-05-24

Brent…. excellent review of the Razor. Seems you have the opportunity to demo and choose different kites. Can you
compare the Wainmans’ to the Razor? Also, any opinion on a two kite quiver of 10 Razor with an 8 or 7 Rise?

Posted: 23 February 2011 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 162 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-30

Haven’t flown the wainmans but owned a 13 and 9m bandit.  The razor is a convergence of the rise and the deltas.  I remember asking if OR would build a delta.  They said no!  The razor was their answer.  Razor, bandit, wainman, park, RPM, envy are all alternatives to the higher aspect ratio kites on the market like the rise, crossbow, rev, rebel, Helix etc.  Funny, after all this evolution, you can still easily classify kites as either high or med aspect ratio.  Delta’s are just one of the med type.  I liked the 9m bandit a lot, the 13 not so much.  The deep centre gives em tons of low end and great position in the window, but when you get them into light wind, they start to misbehave.  Have recently flown an 11.5 kahoona in light wind, and they get unresponsive because they have tiny wing tips to steer with and are pretty front end heavy.  They like to dive when underpowered out at the edge of the window and don’t like to recover.  All not much of an issue in 9m weather, but when they reach their low end they kinda shut off altogether.  Have flown next to and taken a good look at many wainman kites.  They are pretty delta with a slightly bigger wingtip.  The profile, aspect ratio, C shape and behavior when powered is not all that different from the razor and I would say they appeal to a lot of the same riders (guys not interested in racing, hang time or holding down a lot of kite in high wind).  Both are great kites that give you more power per m, responsive performance and predictable behavior unhooked.  Where the razor gets ahead is that they also incorporated the newer trends in light wind kites.  Chiefly build them light, not weak, but light, as in thin struts and trim the dacron where its not needed, and keep some surface in the wingtips cause you need it to fly well at the edge and recover in the kites low end.  Every review boasts about the razors low end power.  Its so good cause they keep flying well when other kites have already “turned off”.  Makes the 10 m razor work for me in light conditions all winter and hopefully in summer on a surfboard. 

As winds go up and kites get smaller you can worry about this stuff less, and its better to sacrifice speed for stability.  Everything is fast in 40 knots!  If you own a small rise and are happy with its comfort, stability and top end it will fit nicely with a bigger razor.  If not, just get a small razor.  They don’t bite!  Its hard to tell someone else what to get as a quiver.  I run pretty big gaps but it works for me cause I infill with different board types and it always seems to line up with conditions.  If you only run twintips then you might want to keep your gaps smaller.  In that case I could see someone wanting a 10m razor and a 7m rise.

Posted: 23 February 2011 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 163 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  519
Joined  2008-04-13

Hi Guys, just back from a really low wind session on the 10m Razor. I’m around 97kg/220 imperial things and took the 140x40 Mako. Had I taken the Mako King I would certainly have a lot of fun in this:

Now that ain’t more than 10-12 knots.

I’m totally blown away with the low end here, I could easily hold ground and wasn’t even sining like mad. I believe the venturis work really well on this smaller AR kite!
I’m so looking forward to real wind!

Posted: 03 March 2011 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 164 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  46
Joined  2008-10-02

I had a quick session on my 12 meter Razor today. It was 12-17mph with some light chop and current. The kite is fast yet stable. It has good grunt to get you up and going and pull you through turns. At 140 lbs, I was able to stay upwind on my 129 x39 Zen without much flying of the kite.

I look forward to putting some more time on the Razor to get a better feel of how it handles the gusts and how well it jumps.

Aloha,
Jeff

Signature 

Aloha! Jeff Rockett, , All over the world!

Posted: 04 March 2011 02:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 165 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2008-05-24

Hey Jeff… still flying the 8m Rise I purchased from you. With the low end reviews of the Razors, I’m surprised you didn’t
purchase the 10 Razor. At 170lbs (75kg) I am thinking of adding the 10 Razor as my biggest kite.

11 of 12