2011 Razor

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I caught the 10m in action with my gopro helmet mount this last thursday at my local spot.
2 other riders were out when I showed up, one was flying a 13m cab and the other was flying a 14m north.
Its a great feeling to be on the smallest kite (the mako king helped with this), and I was able to easily point upwind
and sail to Boeing creek a mile or so upwind. I was hoping the winds were steadier up there, but the gust and lulls were just bigger.
The Razor is much more attentive on the downwind leg than my Rise, everytime I sine’d it, it really pulled quick and hard.
No waves in puget sound, but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that this kite will perform beautifully in the surf.
I’m getting a feel for the top end too, some of the gusts at the creek felt like 25-30, and thats close to the limit of my comfort zone with this big board. (I weigh 210lbs)
I am really stoked about how this new kite de-powers during a self launch deep in the window.
I thought for a second I was going for a drag when the bar ripped out of my hands,
but the traction spike leveled off instantly and the kite was super stable off the front lines.
Very curious about the 12m’s low end…its calling to me and I’m not sure I can resist that siren song.

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

great to see the kite at work like that.  Something missing so far.  Reviews tell of it, but its nice to see it.  Also nice to see that from the rider point of view there is very little cloth that is not working to produce power.  Looks like almost all 10m are flat, but it turns like anything but.

Had to hit mute tho wink

Thanks for posting it.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I’m writing a letter to Santa right now !!! Great video

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Thanks you guys, and sorry about getting kinda mushy with the soundtrack.
Its just that sometimes I get this feeling that the soul of the designer is speaking to me through my flying lines.
And that language was timeless and classical during this session.
I am just stoked that this gear can transform a mediocre wind into something memorable that I have come to crave on a regular basis. Kitesurfing is a path to enlightenment for both the body and soul.
An excellent way to connect with natural forces. cool smile

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

Had an amazing session on the 6m with the small freestyle bar yesterday.  Winds 25-35 knots with possibly higher gusts.

First take on the kite was the low end is definitely equivalent to the 8m Rise (my buddy rode them both back to back and confirmed this).  Kite was super stable for a 6 - not twitchy in the least.  Find the extra bar pressure helps to know where the kite is which is crucial with such small kites.  Kite was definitely a booster in these conditions - really good rip off the water and plenty o hang.  Really shone in the loops….HUGE yank, quick climb bak to top of window, soft but wicked fast landings…

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2010-12-17

PM

here are some pics

Total Posts: 65

Joined 2007-09-14

PM

Had some good sessions on the 8m in Cumbuco. Thanks Barry and Wouter, I’ll send it back this week.
If you have a rise at the moment you can take the razor 2m smaller. 10m rise and 8m razor had about the same low-end. But the Rise has a better high end.

So:

One kite quiver - take a Rise
More kites - freestyle Razor
            wave Razor with Rise bar (much easier to park the kite)
            freeride Rise

Btw in low-wind and waveriding/downwind it will try to fronstall (drop in front of you in the powerzone). Both on the freestyle bar and the rise bar. Just cruising no problem and enough pressure. Really couldnt find something wrong with the lines so i guess if you get into some nice wave riding/downwinder make sure that you got the right kite size for that.

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Klaas! Pictures or it didn’t happen smile

Total Posts: 65

Joined 2007-09-14

PM

Crap, busted LOL

For pics i have to ask if i can take it with me to Mexico for 2 months.
Btw, they wouldnt buy my Rise there, cause OR wasnt really well known there, work on it guys Prices are good there for 2nd hand kites.

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2010-05-21

PM

fronstall (drop in front of you in the powerzone). Is this something different than backstalling? Haven’t heard that term before. What happens, what is it?  The way one of my friends tunes his kites he is powered up with the bar waaaaaaaaaaay out, so it’s easy to oversheet and stall the kite. But he likes it that way cause when he’s on a wave he can have his front arm all the way extended and back hand off the bar when going frontside (wave riding downwind in side on conditions). Just his personal preference. BTW the guys rips.

Signature

All I need are some tasy waves, a cool buzz and I’m fine…Jeff Spicoli

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2007-10-30

PM

Nice work guys.  This kite is a real winner.  Even with the reviews I’m super impressed with how much power you can get per meter.  Not much wasted fabric up there.  The 6 feels like what I used to get out of my 8 sle just a couple years back.  Would have too much overlap with last years 10m diablo for those to fit well together.  Very clean profile, light, direct, and really well mannered.  Its early yet, but I cant say there is much I miss about my old quiver.

Cheers to the year of the white kite!

Had a chance to compare it to a few other kites back to back and came away from it super stoked I chose the Razor.  Was playing with the 10m 2011 Era from Royal, the 11.5m 2011 Kahuna and the 19m FS speed 3. Along with my 10m razor light conditions on snow.  The razor was like a blend of the era and Kahuna that takes the good witout the bad.  More direct and harder hitting power than the flatter Era with more power in the turns and nicer unhooked, but more reactive, smoother and better depower than the kahuna.  The kahoona has loads of power, but I find deltas unresponsive when there is not a lot of kite speed and really hard to recover from a stall.  The Razor has all that power without any of the bad manners at low speed.  Easier relaunch than either of them to boot.  Reverses right off the snow. 

Not a lot of gap on snow between the 10m and 19m foil.  Really only a couple of mph difference in low end but as soon as there is wind the smaller kite is 10x more fun to fly.  You cant beat those big foils for power and behaviour in the stupid light stuff. 

All in all.  couldnt be happier.

Thanks Ross.

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Crew! So stoked to see all your comments and credits on the new kite here!

Happy new year to all of you, I sincerely hope to get out riding with each and every one of you sometime soon!

John Z, OR

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2010-12-13

PM

Gonna test it this afternoon…

28 to 40 knots… gonna see if the stories r true…

ill come back on it later grin

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2010-12-17

PM

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

that snow slider video is sweeet dude!
I really love this other one of yours too….super nice riding, where is this spot?
....or is it top secret?
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/15491191[/vimeo]