9 of 12
2011 Razor
Posted: 23 November 2010 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2010-05-16
EvanStolze - 23 November 2010 04:48 PM

Arguably odd sizes would make it simpler to fit a Razor into a hole in a Rise quiver, but in the long run, most people who go this route will inevitably transition to a full Razor quiver in the long run anyway.

Yep, that’s the plan, move to Razors.
Gonna try to get away with a two kite quiver for 2011.

I tested a buddy’s kite the other day, his bar system just seemed crap, I had forgotten how spoiled I am with the OR bar system.
It is just plain good.

Posted: 23 November 2010 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Just a quick note too re: bars (Evan covered beautifully all the points I was going to make on the kites). The 2011 kites are made with a roll over bridle system to allow for the best possible de-power in the event of a full CL release. The 2008, 09, 10 bars will all work with the 2011 Rise and Razor kites but will not allow for the full extent of depower that a 2011 bar with a 2011 kite will offer.

All of that being said, if you have a 2009 or 2010 bar (or more specifically the chicken loop) you can re-fit your bar to accept the longer trim line and outside leaders needed to allow for a more complete depower upon release.

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 24 November 2010 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2007-09-14
EvanStolze - 23 November 2010 04:48 PM

model in the right color (for you wankers who buy kites like women buy cosmetics….smile)

Cheers,

Evan

Why is there no pink kite? colors better with my short and board grin

Signature 

http://www.surfphotos.nl

Posted: 01 December 2010 05:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-16

OK, so my 8M Razor just came in tonight.
Two front line connection points and three back connection points.
Pretty much figure I know what they will do but it would be great if everyone heard from Ocean Rodeo what they were designed to accomplish,.....website stuff,.. hint, hint. 
Feedback from those of you who have messed with them would be good.
If we get some 8M wind in the next week, I will be checking out the different positions myself.

Posted: 01 December 2010 02:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-10-30

Dude you know what those do as does anyone selling one to a novice.

They have been pretty standard on OR and many other kites for years.

fronts change the kites ability to depower a bit and slightly affect how far forward the kite sits in the window.  Forward is more depower and further forward in the window. 

Three options at the rears changes bar pressure and turning speed where forward slows the turns and increases bar pressure.

What are the delivery settings?

Please tell us what you think of the kite when you get some time on it.

Been a while since this post has gotten a crew submitted review.

I’m still itching.

Posted: 01 December 2010 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2006-04-18

My kite shipped rear on the fronts and middle on the back lines, which I recently moved back for a little faster looping.

Brent - I have had some more time on the Razor and think you are going to love this kite. 

After getting a little more dialed in I can say the top end is more than I would have expected -  had it out in a solid 22 mph without feeling out of control (be prepared to edge though).  Also have gotten the timing on sent jumps down a bit more to get some good air - really more C’ish about how quickly you whip the kite back than the the “slower send and sheet in” of the Rise.  Otherwise the unhooked stuff continues to impress me.  Powerful, predictable pop and then the kite just pulls the perfect amount - not completely slack but light enough it won’t pull you off your landing - really comfortable.  Unhook and the kite just stays where you put it - lovely.

Posted: 01 December 2010 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-16
Brent4336 - 01 December 2010 02:46 PM

Dude you know what those do as does anyone selling one to a novice.
They have been pretty standard on OR and many other kites for years.

Yep, the Rise 08/09 had two front line and two back line options, then the 2010 Rise came with a single front connection point only.
I was curious about why that change happened with the six strut Rise.
So the Razor comes with two fronts and three backs,.. awesome, choices are good.
The outside connection points on the fronts are sewn over a kevlar type scuff pad and the inside fronts are not sewn on a scuff pad, so the inside front connection points have me curious….I ask a lot of questions. red face
As far as dealers passing along useful information to a novice, I’ve not bought new kites at a retailer but I have watched and listened when I’ve been in the shop and guys that sell kites don’t explain stuff to customers any more than the kid at the skate shop does!! My suggestion is more from a standpoint of thinking it would be useful and a good marketing idea for OR to communicate more on the website with PDF’s that explain (all kinds of) stuff, saves printing new manuals every year. People like hype (oops I mean information), it sells gear.

Brent4336 - 01 December 2010 02:46 PM

fronts change the kites ability to depower a bit and slightly affect how far forward the kite sits in the window.  Forward is more depower and further forward in the window.

Yep, people like to hear that fronts inside are for upwind/freeride and outside are for freestyle…I will say it again, people like the hype, marketing sells kites, OR is more of a no bullshit word of mouth company but more marketing never hurts.  cheese

Posted: 01 December 2010 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  285
Joined  2007-10-30

tru dat,

The bars have a pdf file each. 

I’d imagine there is someone working away on the kite versions in a cubicle out west there somewhere.  Get that kid a coffee, and maybe offer him a neoprene hoodie if he gets it done before christmas!

Posted: 01 December 2010 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2007-09-25

Does anybody have any video of the razor in waves?
Or in snow?

I have not flown an OR kite.  The Rise always looked like a smart, logical design, but maybe too many struts and too high aspect for my style. 

The Razor looks absolutely ideal.

Vids help a lot since I don’t know anybody in Lake Michigan who rides OR. 
Tronet’s vids are phenomenal!  It would just be nice to see more footage of the kite drifting, recovering, downlooping, unhooking, launching, landing etc.

Also, what impact, if any, does the new bridle have on self landing? 
Can it be eared at the edge of the window and yanked down? 
Can the chicken loop be leashed to a fixed object, allowing the rider to walk to the kite and land?

Thanks

Posted: 01 December 2010 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2007-09-14

Just got a test 8m razor here today, sadly its a bit to cold to try it at the moment, but tuesday i’ll be goin to Brasil :D
Will give you a full review after i get back. Jeremie also offered his 6 and 10 for testing.

Will also try it on the 2010 rise bar.

Anything u wanna know, see tested, just say so

Signature 

http://www.surfphotos.nl

Posted: 01 December 2010 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11

Rorke,

I don’t have any video but the Razor is killer in surf…..I’ve put mine through the paces in NorCal in everything from side-on mush to riding container ship wakes (essentially down-the-line for miles) to perfect, long period side-off stuff. The kite parks and fades down-the-line well (hooked or unhooked), but turning is super fast and crisp when you need it to be. Downloops are instant and powerless if you want them to be, but look out if you don’t…:)

In comparison to the Rise, the changes are exactly what I wanted out of a wave kite. Superior unhooked performance, lighter weight (while retaining bomber construction), quick turning and rapid relaunch - in this regard the Razor is far superior to the Rise. What you loose is the massive top end range that the Rise has.

Self landing is easy - put the kite to the edge of the window, climb quickly up the middle lines and yank the top front flying line - she’ll fall nose down head to wind.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 01 December 2010 08:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-05-16

I like the new scuff guards on the kite.
I like the new black kite bag too.
Need some 8M wind!!!

Posted: 07 December 2010 06:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2010-07-22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUAQEGb2vmM

we are rode on razor 2011 8m in not strong wind

ps yesterday wind was strong and gusty!)) now I understand why razor is C-kite))) sometimes I’ve been returned to 2005))))
today strong forecast in Dahab again! and we gonna ride!!

Posted: 08 December 2010 07:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2010-05-21

I’ve had the 10 and 12 Razors out in good waves a few times now. Side/side on/side off wind. I’m 6’4” 230 lbs. I know there’s a lot of hype about em, but I do have to say they’re the best wave kites I’ve flown! (3 years kiting- 80% of the time in pretty good surf) More to my liking than my 2010 Rise kites for wave riding. I like the look of the more C shape, only 4 struts, less weight, etc, etc (I’m not much of a techie, just know they feel good and sit where I want em while going down the line looking for a lip to hit). Factory rear line position (middle) and bridle setting (farthest away from the center of the LE) didn’t have me as impressed as I thought I’d be after reading all the rave reviews. Then I moved the back lines closest to the wingtips, fronts forward towards the center of the LE and the kites came alive big time! The Razors seem to have more low end grunt than the Rise, are rock solid, really quick turning, very direct pull without any “mushy” feeling. I was concerned after reading that they sit further back in the window, but after moving the bridle attachment point the kite just feels better and getting back out to the line up up wind is no problem.  Had the 12 out when wind picked up and it was still solid when I could have been on the 10. Same thing when I was on the 10 and it picked up to the point I could’ve been on an 8. Not the high end wind range of the ‘10 Rise, but plenty since I ride with a long throw bar. So, I like the top end as well. A 13 would be nice if they decide to make one. If I drop 25 lbs I wont need a 13 and will get an 8! In short I’M STOKED! Thanks OR!

Signature 

All I need are some tasy waves, a cool buzz and I’m fine…Jeff Spicoli

Posted: 09 December 2010 08:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2010-05-21

Signature 

All I need are some tasy waves, a cool buzz and I’m fine…Jeff Spicoli

9 of 12