1 of 12
2011 Razor
Posted: 18 August 2010 11:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2009-07-21

Razor 2011 - August 17 2010
- I Just returned from 5 incredible days at Nitinat. seeing and riding the next model year gear is always a thrill.  Thank you John Z for your help - Next time I won’t consume so much Monster drink before riding. I was a bit wired.
I had a chance to ride a 10 M Razor and 10 Meter Rise back to back, which is the only way to really appreciate all the nuances of a kites performance characteristics. ( Note: I have hundreds of hours ride time on the 2009 & 2010 Rise, so the differences were clear, but only my opinion of coarse ).
I feel that the design characteristics of the Razor will fill a void in the OR lineup, for riders wanting a different feel then what the Rise offers.
In short the Razor has a constant pull, which is especially noticeable through and while turning the kite. This made surfing even the small waves at the mouth of the Nitinat a joy, since there was always power there to pull you through when you wanted it, even on straight downwind hard carves.
The turning speed was faster then the Rise, but not crazy faster. I estimated it to turn like a kite 2 meters smaller.
Example - I could easily be happy to ride the 10 Razor with the small Rise bar, which was my test setup. but with my Rise the 10 M gets ridden with the bigger bar.
Bar pressure is higher , but again not significant, just enough to add feel for when it’s important to know where the kite is.
It seemed to me that with my riding style I would ride one size smaller a Razor then the Rise and this is likely due to the Reduced range I believe you have with more of a C shaped kite like the Razor.
Jumping was lofty and great, &  does require a difference in timing, as would be expected, but the learning curve is instant.
The new lines are super stiff and rated at 650 lbs.  I really liked them -  they look like the same lines that North uses. They have the respective colors interlaced within the white. The stiff lines reduce tangles and make setting up easlier.
Kite construction, is the normal bomber type we’ve learned to love, with the Kevlar in all the right places.

During some jumping mistakes I found the kite to be very forgiving, for instance, during a jump that had me outrunning my kite downwind by 30 + ft , the Razor flew downwind with slack lines and did not Hindenburg at all. Impressive.
Graphics are also nice,
So in all a super kite, best suited to a different type of rider then the Rise rider schools will also likely prefer the easier flying and more bar feedback I think this is a nice compliment to the lineup of great O.R. products.

enjoy
Manana Mike

Posted: 19 August 2010 07:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2006-10-06

Yippee..Officially the first crew to respond to this thread which I’m sure is going to grow and grow. Love the revue pointmike. It answered some of the questions I have in my head. Now I await further info. on the re-launch characteristics of the Razor compared to the Rise. Also comparisons between the SLE and the mini 5th. bar.

I look forward to reading further rider revues and product info.

I’m sure I will enjoy when I get to try one!

Signature 

andy

Dorset UK

Posted: 19 August 2010 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  171
Joined  2008-11-09

Any comments on the new boards?

Posted: 19 August 2010 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-07-21

Re launching - sorry didn’t push it so never got a chance to try the relaunch, but others said it was much faster and basically easier to relaunch which would fit with the normal characteristics of this design type.

We did not have an above the bar depower bar with the mini fifth setup available, expected to come soon.
I liked it with the Rise bar, since I have a deep love of below the bar depowering.
The insides of the 2011 bar are to get a straighter line flow for easier adjusting. But I never had a problem with the 2010 bar, so if it’s better easier, excellent.
The cleat retention pin has been moved to make it impossible to loose the cleat, some cleats fell out in 2010, so no more of that.

The boards -  Shapes have not changed thank God - but have been improved on a constructions and detail level.
With wood cores the boards should be even stronger then before, with extended life on the pop.
The Mako’s 140 & 150 & King now all have mutant inserts for the mutant option as well as twin tip style and the king now comes with a full deck pad for strapless riding, which become popular this last season, once the word got out.

enjoy the new toys, I know I will
Manana Mike

Posted: 19 August 2010 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1246
Joined  2006-01-10

Mike! Thanks for this review - it’s excellent to see your feedback and thoughts and was certainly nice to see you up at the lake!

Signature 

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Posted: 19 August 2010 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2008-07-01

Which one pull the most, the Rise or the Razor?

Signature 

10m 2011 Razor
12m 2009 Rise
131x40 SkyWalker Pro Comp 2009
Learning this Amazing Sport
Riding since July 2008

Posted: 19 August 2010 11:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-07-21

Regarding pull, The Razor has a more grunty low end type of feel, with constant pull at all times.
Compared to the Rise which has less pull while being turned.
I’ve adapted quite nicely to the Rise’s type of pull and feel while making transitions and I am not sure I want anything different for the future. That is why I’ve decided to mix up the quiver for 2011.
I know from other riders input and my own experience when flying other brands, that many other kite models also pull steady like the Razor, and with that typically comes the added bar pressure. Thankfully the bar pressure is not too much heavier with the Razor. I’ve ridden some kite with bar pressure that was way more then I could be happy with, but not this one.
My true opinion is that OR has produces the perfect compliment to the Rise, with just the right differences, without going overboard.

My 2011 perfect quiver is likely to look something like: @ 200 lbs smaller riders will of coarse not need a 14 M with a Mako king.

8M Rise
10M Razor my most used wave kite
12M Rise
14 M Razor for a light kite with super low end
Combined with a Mako king and a Mako 150 - all wind conditions will be maximized

enjoy
Manana Mike

Posted: 20 August 2010 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2010-07-05

Hola Mike,

It was great to see you again and I’m glad you got to experience the great wind on Monday after Windfest. 

Nice review of the Razor…I was so busy having fun on my 2010 gear I didn’t want to come in and try and track down the 2011 stuff to demo. I’m looking forward to getting some new gear out on the water when the production stuff hits the stores.

Signature 

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Posted: 20 August 2010 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2008-09-11

I am stoked!
Great input pointmike, I can visualize the razor much better now and I am excited!
And I’m totally stoked you got some classsic nitnat conditions too you guys!
Riding out there while looking up at those huge trees on the mountains is something I’ll always treasure…
its like some ancient fiord that can blow like hell!
cool smile

Signature 

experience the stoke

http://www.kitepaddlesurf.com/

Posted: 20 August 2010 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11

Mike, thanks again for the detailed review - were all stoked that you enjoyed the Razor! For those who haven’t seen it, my thoughts on the kite parallel Mike’s, and can be found in this thread on Kiteforum.

Cheers,

Evan

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 21 August 2010 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  185
Joined  2006-01-09

hey guys,
great review ! I agree 100% on what’s being said.
I’ll post a more complete review very soon regarding freestyle performances, stay tuned !

Posted: 26 August 2010 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-09

Hey,
here is my full Razor review:
http://jeremietronet.com/blog/archives/618

Posted: 26 August 2010 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2006-10-06

This revue from Jeremie is very informative and ticks all the boxes in what I’m looking for in a 2011 quiver. I’m very interested to watch this thread for further updates especially on the low end characteristics of the kite.

I was contemplating a 9m/10m Razor and maybe keeping my 2010 Rise 7m but can an 8m Razor really have the low end equivalent to that of the 10m Rise/12m Diablo?

Signature 

andy

Dorset UK

Posted: 27 August 2010 01:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2009-01-17

Low end is a bit of a critical term for me - does it just mean to get up on the board, or stay upwind in certain light wind conditions?
Generally when a kite sits deeper in the wind window you get a stronger static pull, but trade upwind performance..

Posted: 27 August 2010 04:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2010-07-05

I sat and watched a couple Razors ripping it it up at Cook St. today in Victoria…they looked great.  I’m stoked to give one a try…=-)

Signature 

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Posted: 27 August 2010 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-01-09

As I explained in the review, in 10-12 knots I was able to stay up wind. In around 13 -15 knots I could do all my tricks. Don’t be afraid to over sheet the kite, u ll gain a couple knots having trimmed correctly. The venturi prevents backstaling a lot. I’m also pretty light, 65 kg, but I found the low end very good. Anyway, you guys should give it a try or look on other reviews regarding the low end, my review focuss more on the freestyle capabilities of the razor !! Anyway u guys can’t go wrong with this kite, hardest part now, how many do u need, how many ur wife or husband ll let u buy wink an which sizes to get !!!

1 of 12