Self Rescue?

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

I was trying to get info on the best way to self rescue using a 2009 SLE BAR for the OR Rise?

Do you want to wrap an outside or inside line first then the rest of the lines?

How do you avoid not getting tangled up in the other lines when wrapping the other lines? 

Should you pull the quick release or as long as not an emergency keep the chicken loop attached to your self?

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

The best way to keep that kite down and not have it relaunch on you is-
shorten one front line 1st by wrapping it around the bar a few times, then wrap all 4 lines while keeping tension on that one front line. 
This is easier if you release from the chicken loop, but don’t release that final safety strap until you get to the kite and have a firm grip on it.
At that point I usually release the safety from the bar and hook it to my boards foot strap so I can focus on swimming and controlling the kite.
Ideally you would want to use the kite as a sail to bring you back to shore, but if the wind is offshore you might have to deflate it to reduce drag while swimming the kit in.
In some situations where speed is paramount, I abadon wrapping the lines completely and pull myself up the kite off one front line, grab the kite, then totally realese the bar so it trails out behind the kite until I get to shore.
This is definately worth practicing, perhaps at the end of a session close to shore, so that you can adapt to what you need to do before you have a real emergency and things get intense.
You can always sort out a tangeled bar onshore much easier than if you tried to do so on the water.
Which reminds me, I still need to sort mine out from my last session, pick off all that seaweed and give it a really good rinse
so no sharp salt crystals are embedded in it.

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2010-04-30

PM

Thanks for the advice, I did just as you said, but I found my self tangled up in the lines and now I just have a ball of line, hahaha.  Would it be smart with the 2009 bar to grap that Oh shit grab on the front line and wrap that around or just skip it and go for the front line itself?

Thanks

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Ending up with a messy bar after a self rescue is normal,
getting tangled up while you do it is not.
Its up to you whether or not you want to use the OS handle on one front line,
but shortening one front line, however you want to do it will keep the kite from relaunching and down.
I pick the front line that turns the kite in the direction that I want to swim to
and focus on wrapping the lines up quickly so I don’t drift too far.
My advice always is “keep the kite in the air”
Its good to learn self rescue technique, but keeping it together and flying is even better.

My longest swim?
1.5 miles off the coast of New Jersey when I was just learning to stay upwind.
Dropped a 9m F-One foil while jumping way, way too far offshore.
Man that was a long swim with a what felt like a circus tent in the water.
I ditched the foils right after that and ended up buying a used bronco, my 1st OR kite.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

And the OR Rise XPD has self rescue handles sewn into the inside wingtips of the kite, one of the few kite brands that have this feature. This is “nice to have” instead of hanging on to sharp bridle lines.

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide