Go Joe Pro - Prototype Video and Photos!

Total Posts: 571

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

grin There’s no more a worthy winner - Congrats. Craig!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Whoa, hold on there.
Let me get a handle on this…just got back from a much needed vacation,
and I am still smiling from that last session in the waves on the foggy washington coast.
I’ve been dreaming of using the King in the waves for months…and finally that dream came true!
Now I am like-double stoked man!
Thank you OR dudes!!!!!

I’m going to give up on trying to wear out my session harness from 06’,
and have Kevin ship me a new session2 with the new hoodie.

Looking forward to seeing the new high tech go joe when it comes out too, these things really work!

(Kevin, I’ll ring you later you rascal!)

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

spawny git!

congrats mate, enjoy smile

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-09-21

PM

I’ve been using a GoJoe for several years, ever since my jumps exceeded the length of a leash system, and I like them very much. The first generation of GoJoe was too easy to overinflate and then explode if the board went underwater. I never owned a second generation one but still have two of the first generation that I am working on.

The first (and, from what I have heard) the second generation GoJoe can rub against one’s leg if not wearing a wetsuit, so the new design would eliminate that problem.

The design of the GJP looks very well thought out. The comments on your forum clearly show that there is a certain stigma to having a brightly colored sail on your board. There is an attitude that any form of leash system is somehow beneath expert riders. Well, I have been riding for about a decade now and think that I can hold my own with the rest of the crowd, but I like the idea of not having to shark for my board and get lots of salt water in my face or mouth. It spreads the sun block into the eyes and I do not think that I need that level of discomfort just to appease a few strong-mouthed individuals. I also use an electric kite pump and got a lot of attitude when I first started using it, and now many kiters use (or at least want) an electric pump. To me, kiting isn’t about how manly I can be, it is about maximizing the time I have to exercise, socialize, and enjoy being outside. So devices like the GJP and electric pumps move me closer to getting the most fun out of my session. You “purists” can do what you want, and I will do what I want, and lets just leave it at that.

There are several design points in the GJP that are very nice from my perspective. First, I normally start riding in shallow water by standing on the board. This requires that the GJ go underwater and so I underinflate it a bit. The new design would clearly not require that. Second, having the GJP lie flat during most of the session is a clear plus from the political standpoint, and probably even from a trick execution standpoint. Third, the new design will eliminate the problem of over/under inflation of the device. Fourth, the new device will probably last longer since it cannot explode and is entirely passive.

Like others, I have some concerns. First, the price point is definitely high. The old GJ was expensive. You have to think about the value it provides and the cost of the device it is protecting - the board. If the price fo the GJP competes with the price of a replacement board then it becomes difficult to justify the cost. Second, it looks, from the video, as though we would have to use the handle that comes with the device because it has a cross member that is used to snap the device into. If OR was to provide the cross piece in such a way that it could be used with any handle that might be nice. I have to say that for every GJ I have mounted I have had to purchase new screws, because the GJ base is about 1/8” and the handle screws (and thread inserts) just won’t allow for that extra height. The GJP would also, so if the handle modification suggestion is considered then new screws should be provided with the package. Third, the strap and magnetic connector aren’t so bad for initial riding, but won’t there be a chance of that strap getting yanked off during the rough and tumble existence that boards and kiters go through? Is it designed to be replaceable? Is an extra provided or available at a reasonable cost? Is it fair to assume that the bungees are replaceable over time?

Overall I think that it is a great design and I would definitely like one if the cost is reasonable.

Jack

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Hey,
I just wanted to let everyone know that there was no definitive winner in this contest,
and that my name was drawn at random from an OR hat during a beer break in the office lounge.
Did they get the feedback that they were hoping for?
I don’t know.

I made the mistake of opening the box from OR central with my older brother,
I couldn’t wait to check out that new harness.
I was flip’n stoked to discover Kevin had slipped a Predator in the box too for a 30 day “love it or send it back” test run.
Thats when that burly manimal made his move and snagged my hoodie.
When I asked him to give it back, he told me to get a life.
Sometimes you gotta go with the flow.
No way am I giving this predator suit back to OR either.

ps-I’ve used the session 2 harness 3 times now, sans leg straps, and I’m love’n the fit and that new bar pad big time!

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-10-11

PM

The new Prototype “GJP” with a slicker compact design is a great idea and will do very well! The release mechanism obviously should be as simple as possible for the user and the manufacturer. Perhaps a mechanism that is triggered by the release of pressure in the foot strap i.e. the arm stays down when one’s foot is in the binding. Electronics and salt-water are generally a poor mix when you are trying to keep production costs down. Subman.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Total Posts: 571

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

That’s a really good bit of video Craig. I’d be interested to know what camera and housing you’re using. How have you fixed it to your lines? Would be good to see a photo of the fixing method? Sound track fitted it awesomely!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

thats the gopro hd & a prototype kite hero mount similar to the production version.

I got lucky this time, it was a random pick for the soundtrack on utube!

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

craig myers - 12 October 2010 02:28 PM

thats the gopro hd & a prototype kite hero mount similar to the production version.

I got lucky this time, it was a random pick for the soundtrack on utube!

thats a brilliant mounting point though Craig, really good!

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2008-04-15

PM

Has anyone heard anything about the current status of the the Go Joe Pro?

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-01-06

PM

This is a good idea but will be too expensive.

I’m using the inflatable GoJoe which saved my boards several times, however they are poorly fabricated and break after a few hard crashes. The design of the existing GoJoe needs to be revised with stronger material for the base and that will work just fine.
Also when you crash once with that mechanical GoJoe, you won’t be able to hook it up again to your ankle with the kite in one hand and the board on the other one and trying to hook it up with one hand can be potentially dangerous as you won’t pay attention to the kite while struggling with that little leash and your one hand.

Also what a stupid idea to make the inflatable GoJoe black? Just like why are all wetsuits black - stupid too. The coast guards say do not wear black on the water unless this is what you want to be buried in. I put some bright yellow fabric around my GoJoe so I can see them from afar, that would be much better if they were competely yellow or red in the first place.

BTW, Ocean Rodeo has not responded to my claims about the broken GoJoe, they are just 3 or 4 months old…

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

geotrouvetout - 06 January 2012 03:42 PM

I’m using the inflatable GoJoe which saved my boards several times, however they are poorly fabricated and break after a few hard crashes. The design of the existing GoJoe needs to be revised with stronger material for the base and that will work just fine.
Also when you crash once with that mechanical GoJoe, you won’t be able to hook it up again to your ankle with the kite in one hand and the board on the other one and trying to hook it up with one hand can be potentially dangerous as you won’t pay attention to the kite while struggling with that little leash and your one hand.

Also what a stupid idea to make the inflatable GoJoe black? Just like why are all wetsuits black - stupid too. The coast guards say do not wear black on the water unless this is what you want to be buried in. I put some bright yellow fabric around my GoJoe so I can see them from afar, that would be much better if they were competely yellow or red in the first place.

BTW, Ocean Rodeo has not responded to my claims about the broken GoJoe, they are just 3 or 4 months old…

Where did you buy your GoJoes from? I had two of the original version fail and I got replacements from the then Danish dealer. I think they were the same from a bad batch. I now have an original one and the new black model with the orange stripe and both are still going strong for +2 years. I value your comments that improvements to the v2.0 such as further reinforcement of the base could be worth considering.

kind regards
Kirk

Signature

Core GT 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako Kingn
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-01-06

PM

Kirk - 06 January 2012 10:23 PM
geotrouvetout - 06 January 2012 03:42 PM

Where did you buy your GoJoes from? I had two of the original version fail and I got replacements from the then Danish dealer. I think they were the same from a bad batch. I now have an original one and the new black model with the orange stripe and both are still going strong for +2 years. I value your comments that improvements to the v2.0 such as further reinforcement of the base could be worth considering.

kind regards
Kirk

Bought from a retailer in Oregon. Good point, I did not think about asking them for support but OR should have followed up on it nevertheless. They are of the second generation. I think if the base was made of some flexible but not too flexible plastic that would work better than the existing foam 3 layers sandwich.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2007-09-24

PM

Ha, Ha,
Sorry OR boys but this one won’t fly..
$200 for a pop up wind drifter thingy…
I love your kites ,, fly nothing else,,  but this thing has to be a joke…... No?

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time for other kite board companies to copy and one up your idea here wink.....................Waiting….....
Please stick to spending R&D money on the best kites on the planet (razors) ... You’ll be better served.. imho…

I have honestly only seen one guy using a blow up Joe Pro at our local beaches and he doesn’t even fly OR kites…....That’s like a 1/200 ratio…....
I just don’t see the real need ,, nor market , for such a product….. No disrespect to OR meant here….... But I don’t see a rush of buyers of this products…
I’m a die-hard OR kite junkie, but that’s my limit….