Go Joe Pro - Prototype Video and Photos!

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Chris Glazier on the OR forum! Welcome! smile I’m going to have to abstain from drawing names from the hat for who wins the OR hoody, lest I be accused of rigging the vote should you win - I’d love to see you rocking one of our new designs!

John Z

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2009-05-25

PM

I was pretty surprised at how well received the original GoJo was. I never expected it to sell however I have seen numerous boards with it installed. I do agree its for the beginner so the price point of the new Go Jo Pro is probably a little high considering all the other gear required for a beginner to shell out for.

That said, this version is much less intrusive, goofy looking and looks to work just as well so perhaps this version will sell even better!

And yes, if Glazier wins it fixed!! :D (J/K)

Keep up the awesome work guys, OR is da Bomb.

FlashJ

Signature

Skypilot Kiteboarding

Total Posts: 517

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Wha elemental! we went as KISS as as it gets, very difficult to over engineer AND get it to work if you want to survive heavy beach break and 10m drops. There is no battery, no IC, no PCB, no rocket science to be found in there, it’s bungees and an extremely simple latch mechanism. By tugging on the leash with a threshold force (the release force of the magnet from the ankle leash) the latch opens and frees the spring loaded soft-foam plate.

Good point for the naming though, bring on your ideas right here in this thread! (I can’t think of hoodies right now as in NL we’re having monumental temperatures close to 40°C)

elementalsurfer - 09 July 2010 06:04 PM

I assume from the video that there is a battery and some sort of electronics built in that triggers the release mechanism from the magnetic trigger. I guess this is one of the reasons why it is so expensive. What keeps the magnetic sensor in place and how well does it stay in place in waves etc.

I think the idea of the original Go-Jo is great; competitively prices and incredibly simple design. This new design looks a lot more discrete and attractive and will appeal to a lot of people.

Without trying one out, my first impressions are that it is probably over-engineered and far too expensive.
Basic design philosophy K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) always works for me anyway.

I also agree with some of the comments about the proposed name, Go Jo Pro doesn’t quite sound right. How about another thread to find the best name possible, also gives us all another chance to win a hoddie.

I’d love to get may hands on one of these to try out.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2009-05-25

PM

hmmm i actually thought GoJo Pro rolls off the tongue pretty easy….

Signature

Skypilot Kiteboarding

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2009-01-07

PM

go joe compact!

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2010-07-09

PM

I never tried Go Joe but I think the oldest model is better. In my personal opinion this new prototype of Go Joe sucks..!! Can’t you make a model without this disturbing leash?? You can’t do board offs and you have to put this leash every time… :((  In some places a lot of experienced riders lose their boards… So you should make a product that is not only for beginners!

Can’t you produce a “wireless leash”???? Maybe you can put a Bluetooth device or something else. You can put a long life buttery so the user will not have to charge the devise often. Or you can make a patent of a wireless leash that don’t need to be charged! Think about it!!

Another critical point is if the “pop-up EVA foam float” is strong enough to stand a violently impact from high altitude when it is deployed.

As regard the price, I think it’s a bit expensive. Specially for a beginner is very expensive. Maybe it would be better for a beginner rider to buy a used board than to buy Go Joe.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi georgg, thanks a lot for your comments.
I’d like to seriously point out that this design or the prototype does not suck on anything, even though you’re fully entitled to not like it. It does what it needs to do and has been thoroughly field tested by three of the most destructive riders around (Ross, Richard and me, bring us any piece of kit and we’ll kill it).
You are bringing on a valid point by mentioning remote control like BT. BT has a very limited range and is better suited for short stroke complex full duplex RF, and operates in the gigahertz range (low power, high data density).
RF for marine applications is tough, it takes very low frequencies to get a couple of hundred meters through 50% large water volumes, which is what you deal with “surface to surface”. These take loads of energy and huge antennas so big batteries are needed. We’ve been considering this carefully and we might at some point in time start pursuing such ideas. For now, the simple leash thing is the best working KISS solution we could get to work 100%.

EVA foam is the stuff used for running shoe soles, Crock shoes etc and is one of the toughest foam materials around. Impacts on the float are handled by the shock cord construction of the pop-up hinge.

You can do board offs, if you place the bungee tip in the parking hole next to the orange dot. On a different note, if you intend to do lots of board offs during a session, you can leave the Go Joe Pro in your car as it snaps on and off the grab handle very easily.

Total Posts: 40

Joined 2007-05-26

PM

Except for the price, this thing looks cool—and very clever engineering!  I also think the price may be too high for mass sales, but you never know till you try.

Questions: —is the trigger leash set-up able to accomodate switching feet on a jibe (something I have been trying to do with small but increasing degrees of success on the Make King)?  And is there any way it could be engineered to be installed without a full grab handle on a standard directional?

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-02-13

PM

Love the concept - but I do think the price point is too expensive.

Could you make a simpler version with the EVA foam that is always in the “up” position. It would still be a smaller profile than the current Go Joe.

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

Thanks El Rudo,

that makes more sense now, I couldn’t watch the video the other day as I was at work, but the way the magnet works is more obvious now as I thought it was the loss of magnetism that caused activation, this clearly shows the magnet just secures the leash to the leg strap until enough force can pull the magnet off. I like it, it thats how it works then prepping for a board off should be fairly simple, either activate first, or just pull off the leg strap. May I make a suggestion there? Would it be possible to have a small elastic chord going to the magnet? That way if you are prepping for a board off you could just reach down and pull it off the leg strap and the leash would move out of the way, rather than having to stow it in the hole next to the orange button. Otherwise it seems nice and simple smile

If you guys say there’s enough buoyancy there than I trust you, you know what you’re doing smile

2 more points/questions.

Does the grab handle come with the new unit? It appears to be made to fit the inside of the Go Joe just right, so I assume it comes with the new unit? If so, will the handle fit all boards?

Second, would it be possible to make the underside of the unit, the part hidden when in the down position, really bright, something like the orange of the current version? Just a thought that it could help make the board more visible in the water, thats one of the things that attracted me to the Go Joe in the first place.

Have a top weekend

Phil.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2010-07-05

PM

The new GoJoe looks cool, but I wouldn’t buy one for $100+...the original works well and is already fairly costly.  I was thinking of getting my GF a GoJoe to help her out as she starts KBing, but I’d expect to remove it and stop using it after that.  As some posters have noted there may be certain KBing locations where a GoJoe is more useful even for experienced KBers, but at $200 will be a hard sell IMO.

My other concern would be the effort req’d to reset the trigger and get the Go Joe Pro ready for the next crash.

Having said all that the engineer in me likes the design and the effort that went into getting it to the current stage.

safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Signature

Safe riding,

Vik
http://www.thelazyrando.com

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

This design is a quantum leap beyond the original inflatable struture.
No pump needed!
Plus I like how this design is low profile during use, this is a big plus for rider comfort and balance.
That magnetic leash thing, I’ve never seen anything like that before.
That is pretty darn cool you guys!
I still use my Go Joe when the conditions are sketchy, especially for NW storm sessions
when the choatic sea state can make it very difficult to recover a board laying flat on the water.
Plus I’ve noticed that if your board does get away, its much easier for someone else to rescue
because of its visibility.
These things allow you to save all your energy for the ride by making board recovery easier,
thats a fact.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hey Craig, that’s exactly how I would use it, those hairy sessions when dragging for board is nowhere near fun. We figured it’s as important to be able to install and remove the new Go Joe.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

yes, that snap connection to the handle makes this unit a slick system IMO
Being able to switch the go joe from one board to another quickly
without a screwdriver…that a big time saver, plus you only need one for the quiver.
I like how Ocean Rodeo aims high with its designs, its pushing this sport into uncharted waters
with the best gear money can buy.
There was a kiter around here who made his own go joe out of a 1/2 of a hard foam life ring.
fastened it right to the handle inserts and it came up almost to his knees.
This new one is soooo much easier on the eyes!

Awesome job OR! cool smile

Total Posts: 571

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Full marks again to OR for an innovative product and for sharing ideas etc. in the design process with the wider community who’ll actually be using one for real.

I think the price will deter many. Make riders (sunrise - sorry Danny told me) learn to body drag properly for fear of the cost implications of purchasing one over the Mk1 model.

That said there will no doubt be a market out there for them but will it be a big enough one to make production worthwhile?

I’ll stick to the risk of having to replace a lost board - never normally win anything anyway….besides I treasure my ‘Crew’ hoodie from Nitinat 2008 - In fact I’m wearing it right now!  wink

Signature

andy

Dorset UK