Go Joe Pro - Prototype Video and Photos!

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Ocean Rodeo’s industry leading reputation for innovation and design continues! Based on the incredible success of the original Go Joe leashless board recovery device Ocean Rodeo has developed an entirely new Go Joe Pro!

While still in the prototype phase the all new, low profile Go Joe Pro has been designed as a complement to the original inflatable Go Joe.

The pre production prototype relies on a magnetic trigger to activate a pop-up EVA foam float. When deployed the buoyancy of the float rights an upturned board, and provides a sail like effect driving the board downwind towards the rider. If activated, the float is easy to reset while on the water. The prototype Go Joe Pro is easily attached to your board via a simple snap connection with the board’s grab handle.

Low Profile Riding Mode (click to expand)

Activated (click to expand)

As you can imagine, once we commit to the final production moulds changes are tough to make so we want your feedback! Is this a product you want to see produced? What was your immediate reaction to this concept ? Our initial estimates have this product retailing at between $199 and $229 USD, far less than the cost of a lost board and well worth the safety of riding without a fixed leash.

We will update this post soon with action video of the latest prototype in action on the water!

Please post your comments below for the chance to win one of our newly released hoodies!

Ocean Rodeo, Performance Over Hype!

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-07-08

PM

I’ve never needed a Go Joe as I figured out the body drag before the Go Joe came out.

However I think it’s a brilliant idea making things safer for everyone by offering an alternative to leashes.

The new Go Joe looks good, but I would think twice about calling it the pro version. Just think you will attract negative comments due to the fact that no pro would ever need one and that already to many kiters already have a negative
attitude towards the Go Joe.  How about Go Joe Slim or something. Or Smart Joe.

The design looks intelligent and pretty effective.

It would be a good idea to keep in mind that alowing a helper to still be able to grab the board either by the handle or the Go Joe if for some reason the kiter that lost the board headed to ground. It would be nasty to lose both board and Go Joe.

One thing that looks like it could be a problem is that the whole thing looks like a poterntial line snag risk, both deployed and not. This could be offset by having some ridgid foam under the unit to keep lines out and make the open unit so that it could snap off if a line got caught on it.

Making it quick fitting to more than one board would also be a good idea…. probably already is.

Cheers

Fred

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

It makes sense to me ... I never do board off stuff & sail alone often with counter currents taking my board upwind beyond my ability to body drag !!!

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2007-09-12

PM

I saw this thread on KF and wanted a chance to win a hoodie! I love seeing actual engineering in this industry. Ocean Rodeo is one of the few companies that seems to be trying to engineer new things. Kiteboarding is only 10 years old and I feel there is still a ton of room for improvement.

However, although this product is beautifully engineered and well thought out, I don’t believe you will sell much at the 200$ price point, considering the regular go joe is far cheaper. Reason being:
Those riders that care enough to not have the “goofy” look of the original go joe are good enough riders to get to their boards. I went to a lake where they teach a ton, and the school boards all had go joes. It made it really helpful for the students. But any rider that can body drag sufficiently won’t feel 200$ is worth the 1/100,000 chance of losing their board. I for one would rather take the risk of losing my board and put that 200$ towards the new replacement board.

This product of course will have its enthusiasts that ride at difficult locations, but I can’t see anyone at our local spot using one.

Big props to OR for an awesome concept, asking the public, and fine engineering!

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hey guys, thanks comments so far.
@ Fred, the 1st proto we build was much closer to the board, and guess what, it’s impossible to close as the flip plate hits the water before it enters the latch. Caught us off-guard. Also, have the flip plate hover 2cm above the board ensures it won’t catch spray. In use, the line snagging is not a problem as it’s between the foot pads and straps, they’ll have the lines caught before Go Joe gets the chance.

Something remarkable about this Go Joe is that you won’t notice it when you ride, it’s just a tad larger than a European lunch box.

Keep the comments coming!

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2010-07-08

PM

El Rudo - 08 July 2010 07:58 PM

Hey guys, thanks comments so far.
@ Fred, the 1st proto we build was much closer to the board, and guess what, it’s impossible to close as the flip plate hits the water before it enters the latch. Caught us off-guard. Also, have the flip plate hover 2cm above the board ensures it won’t catch spray. In use, the line snagging is not a problem as it’s between the foot pads and straps, they’ll have the lines caught before Go Joe gets the chance.

Something remarkable about this Go Joe is that you won’t notice it when you ride, it’s just a tad larger than a European lunch box.

Keep the comments coming!

Thinking about it a line snag is unlikely before the thing is deployed as your feet would be in the straps.
However there is a risk of a snag when body dragging through the surf, especially for a beginner, but I guess the real risk would be determined by how much force is needed to open the gadget to release a line snag. Maybe tweaking the shape a bit especially near the hinge area to avoid a snag when retreaving the board.

Anyway let me add that I think it is awsome that Ocean Rodeo is putting so much effort into a safety device.

May I suggest another device for teaching. A radio triggered safety release that an instructor could fire if a student is in trouble.
Would be a great way to atract new riders to your brand!

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2008-07-06

PM

looks good, i’m too lazy to bodydrag anyway these days…

thomas

PS: i’m feeling so cold right now, I wish I had a hoodie smile

Total Posts: 1246

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Tinkler - the clothing is all in stock and ready to roll - order yours today from the online store or wait to see if you win!

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2010-07-08

PM

For the hoodie: Build in a adjustable time delay, with something like settings from 2 to 10 seconds, for the boardoff tricks, AND for not hurting your foot on it when you loose your board with one foot before the other.

And maybe u can make the leash stiff, or integraded into the strap/pad, so I don’t have to reach down every time. maybe add 2 or 3 different leashes. (Go Joe Pro Custom:)

Rudo mooi dingetje! zeker met andere dingen bezig geweest dan op het water staan. mag ik eens proberen of ie heel blijft als ie klaar is

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2008-01-12

PM

I am a big fan of the Go Joe for beginners who want a little assistance in board retrieval. I have helped sell lots of them and I explain to people that is a useful aid that they will eventually outgrow. On this basis, the old inflatable version is just fine and much cheaper. I cannot imagine anyone paying over $200 for the new plastic one.

Just my guess.

C. Glazier

Total Posts: 244

Joined 2007-11-20

PM

I don’t know about out-growing it.  In super light winds or with a current it can be near impossible to get upwind back to the board.

The design looks great.  I wouldn’t worry about line snags any more than I already do with the foot pads anyway.

The price point is a worry. Obviously innovation costs, but the recession and exchange rates might push this out of the reach of many.

Also, I would hope that it can be swapped between boards quickly and easily.  With 3 boards in my quiver, that would be very important.

Signature

14m Rise ‘07, 12m Razor ‘12, 10m Razor ‘10, 8m Razor ‘11, 6m Razor ‘11
129 Zen ‘09, 150 Mako ‘09, 159 Spleene Door, 6’1” Circle One

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2009-01-07

PM

I wouldnt use one because i would just body drag, but there is alot of people that would rather the board come to them.  looks alot better than the other gojoe but it costs alot more aswell ?  imo the only people that will use the go joe pro is the ones that would use the normal go joe anyway! I dont think the new design is enough to entice even more people to use the go joe products!?  since the first one is cheaper and does work if i was to buy one id prob buy that, even though the go joe pro looks better and more compact the price difference would be to big to justify it.

at the end of the day go joe pro is 100 times cooler and better looking/ more efficient than the older ones, but dont see any new customers for ye coming out of it!  Good idea though smile

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2007-09-15

PM

I’d agree with Ed, I think a timer for board offs would be good, though my guess is that would most likely be cost prohibitive.

I prefer the look of the new design, much cleaner than the old one (which I still use) and if the deployment mechanism works well I’d definitely look to upgrade, although the cost could be prohibitive to me when the old one works just fine and I am not that concerned by the look.

My only thought/concern is how good it is at uprighting the board. The original flips the board the right way up then acts like a sail, my concern with this would be is there enough bouyancy there to flip the board upright, or would it stay overturned and act more like a drogue anchor and go with the tide rather than the wind?

I also think I’d like to see the attachment to the grab handle in more detail, if it just snaps in, could enough water tension just snap it back out as well?

Other than that, looks great and if it comes out and is either cost effective enough for me, or if money is flowing like the Rhine, I’ll look to upgrade, or add to my other board :0)

Phil.

Signature

Ocean Rodeo, better than a warm soapy tit wank.

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

@ Phil, thanks for your comments! We have figured out that asymmetric buoyancy upright faster and more decisively than symmetric, and starts working at 1/3 of the volume of the current Go Joe. As a matter of fact, we have project-named this version the Go Joe compact most of the time.
The smaller the float, the better it works because the shock cords that make the float plate flip up, have to push against the buoyancy of the float plate when the board is upturned. Making this too big would mean you need very high tension on these shock cords, and a super stiff construction to resist all that tension.

Joined 2006-11-08

PM

I assume from the video that there is a battery and some sort of electronics built in that triggers the release mechanism from the magnetic trigger. I guess this is one of the reasons why it is so expensive. What keeps the magnetic sensor in place and how well does it stay in place in waves etc.

I think the idea of the original Go-Jo is great; competitively prices and incredibly simple design. This new design looks a lot more discrete and attractive and will appeal to a lot of people.

Without trying one out, my first impressions are that it is probably over-engineered and far too expensive.
Basic design philosophy K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) always works for me anyway.

I also agree with some of the comments about the proposed name, Go Jo Pro doesn’t quite sound right. How about another thread to find the best name possible, also gives us all another chance to win a hoddie.

I’d love to get may hands on one of these to try out.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Mo’ Joe ?

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…