San Francisco Tuesday 6/29
Posted: 27 June 2010 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2007-05-22

Hello,

I will be in SF this Tuesday for work and was hoping to ride Crissy, and was looking for a local OR rider to show me the ropes.  I’m a competent rider, just know that Crissy has some challenges for the uninitiated.  Thanks.

-Matt

cell: 310-592-4673
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 28 June 2010 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11

Matt, just approach any of the OR Crew on the beach and he/she will give you the low down. Tomorrow will be windy but there is a strong afternoon flood tide that you have no chance of beating unless you’re on a raceboard. Don’t even bother stepping on your board until at least 4:30 or 5:00 when the tide starts to turn. This time of year Crissy nukes out in the channel but there can be a huge hole from the beach extending out to the wind line that takes some skill and common sense to negotiate. Just keep your eyes open and ” read the play “.  Follow a local in if the hole makes an appearance. Yesterday saw over half a dozen CG rescues that were unnecessary for this reason. A group of ” Crissy newbies ” sailed blindly into a huge hole when there was plenty of wind to get to shore with 1/4 mile or so further to the east. Only one way to learn I guess…......and if you kite Crissy often enough eventually we all get our number punched…...smile

Cheers,

Evan

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 04 July 2010 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2007-05-22

I just wanted to thank all the SF Crew for pointing me in the right direction.  Chris—thanks a lot for the board and wetsuit!

Cheers,

Matt