Using the Rise for wave riding with a directional - anybody?
Posted: 19 June 2010 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2010-06-14

Hey Guys,
I can feel that i am starting to get hooked on wave riding with a directional waveboard - eventhough here in Denmark its only on waves from 1-3 meter.  Also I am in the process of buying new kites and i would like to hear from those of you who use the Rise for wave riding.  How many are we? What are the pros and cons with the Rise? - what are your experiences?
Looking forward to hear from you!
Cheers Jacob

Posted: 19 June 2010 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2008-04-20

Hi Jacobb,
I’m getting hooked too. Today first session with my waveboard in the northsea.. I was not prepared for 2 -2,5m waves and choppy conditions… managed to stay alive wink skipped the footchance stuff and rode switchstance..
My 2009 Rises are doing fine, it is me doing all the errors.. wink
Regards
Arjan

Posted: 19 June 2010 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2008-04-13

Davey seems to do alright with a Rise:

Posted: 21 June 2010 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-06-14

fantastic movie - and yes that davey guy is doing really really great!  grin  personally i only started wave kiting this year and what i love with my rise and sle bar in the waves is the massive depower capabilities -  i am really interested to hear from others - especially people who have used the rise in waves with a directional for many years about pros and cons and their experience?  hope someone can help with some input?

Posted: 21 June 2010 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11

Using the Rise with a surfboard in waves? It’s a killer wave kite - there’s an army of using it for this purpose in NorCal…........smile

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 07 July 2010 09:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-06-14

i belive that - i love the depower, i just dont have enough wave riding experience to tell the other differences yet - can someone please explain me the pros and cons for the rise in waves - why is it a killer wave kite? and what are the reasons an army is using it for waves in northern california? why the rise for waves?

Posted: 08 July 2010 04:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2009-01-07

fackin rise in waves = Epic, simple as, big 5 m swell today massive blue monsters comin in from as far out as you could see and surfin them all the way in.  rise is beautiful, fast,power was there when you needed it, and you new were it was in the sky all the time. it felt so reliable. zen works savage in the waves aswell. reall nice and comfy and made a stable platform,took aload of the impact of going over the waves of your knees as well.

Serious Freakin stoke going here,, STOKED

Lovin the gear, OR all the way,

Posted: 08 July 2010 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2010-06-14

are you taking drugs or are you still high from the wave session?:-) - you are very enthusiastic, but thats good! - but i guess if you are using the zen freestyle board for 5 m waves, you will fly the kite differently that you would if you were riding the waves with a directional surf board - so looking forward to hear your view after a session with a directional?

Posted: 08 July 2010 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2006-04-18

Rise is great in the waves because….
-Lots of power for square meter - you can get away with a smaller kite which means fast turning and loops on the waves

-Tons of depower - lets you purely ride the wave without getting pulled out of a section

-Little back stall - because of the venturi and the lack of center strut it will climb really fast - even from deep in the window - you can literally ride down wind right at the kite and it will still climb - very useful in the surf.

- Super fast in turns and loops, low bar pressure and bomb proof to boot. 

Amazing kites…...

Posted: 08 July 2010 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07

ya no drugs involved just still getting over the session, seriously good thrill, i dont have a directional so i honestly couldnt tell you tbh, but all i know is i was on a 10m and it was fast as *&^( so i would say youd be sound on a directional!    DOnt take my opinion on directionals though, as ive literally no hours built up on them!

Posted: 09 July 2010 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11

The Rise makes a great wave kite because:

1) It’s powerful for its size, allowing you to rig a small kite - in waves turning speed is everything.
2) It has plenty of depower so you can sheet out when on the wave face, and you wont’ get pulled out the back in side-off conditions.
3) You can access 95% of the available depower with bar throw so you don’t have to mess with the trim setting.
4) It’s durable and can take beatings.
5) It relaunches easily.
6) It’s easy to eject if you get into trouble - both primary and secondary (kite leash) safeties.
7) It drifts well downwind - just sheet out and fade down-the-line.
8) It unhooks well if that’s your thing.
9) Big range, stable in gusty 25+ conditions - necessary for NorCal!!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 09 July 2010 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-01-07
EvanStolze - 09 July 2010 08:37 PM

The Rise makes a great wave kite because:

1) It’s powerful for its size, allowing you to rig a small kite - in waves turning speed is everything.
2) It has plenty of depower so you can sheet out when on the wave face, and you wont’ get pulled out the back in side-off conditions.
3) You can access 95% of the available depower with bar throw so you don’t have to mess with the trim setting.
4) It’s durable and can take beatings.
5) It relaunches easily.
6) It’s easy to eject if you get into trouble - both primary and secondary (kite leash) safeties.
7) It drifts well downwind - just sheet out and fade down-the-line.
8) It unhooks well if that’s your thing.
9) Big range, stable in gusty 25+ conditions - necessary for NorCal!!

Cheers,

Evan

`

amen

Posted: 11 July 2010 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  349
Joined  2007-01-03

Rise is very nice in the swell, 7 or 8 will get you out in less than you’d think as well. really easy to steer with one arm, which helps a bit… also strapless the depower on the bar makes it easy to stay in control.

that said, i took my 8 diablo out on a pulley bar strapless the other week and It was so sweet i think i pee’d a little.

sorry, too much detail.

Signature 

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Posted: 13 July 2010 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  473
Joined  2006-07-15

Jacobb,

I only ride ride surfboards strapped & strapless and teamed up with the rise it is pretty much the best combination.
The rise will take more knocks than any other kite out there which is a plus when you end up putting it into the surf.

Also the ability to unhook without backstall is helpful when you are unhooked to open up your stance.

Any other questions just give us a shout.

Ben

Signature 

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Posted: 14 July 2010 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2007-07-09

Directional and strapless in Southern California.  The Rise works great for me as I really feel the need when riding waves to be able to de-power the kite and still have it stay in the sky.

They are 2007 models, I know they have even gotten better since then.

Signature 

2007 Rise 14M, 12M, 10M and 7M One
Pyro Pro

Posted: 21 July 2010 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2008-02-14

A really great advantage in the Rise comes when riding strapless. When trying to bust out over some bigger whitewater and beach breaks it really helps that you have so much bar throw. It helps keep the beard on your feet when you just get over it to allow your body to drop with your board where shorter bar throw kites generally will not allow you to do this and thus disconnect from your board.
And yes like somebody on here already said you will be suprise how far you can go with a 8m and surfboard in the waves.
S