thursdays sesh

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

am I the only wind scoured salt scrubbed sailor with a problem who thinks its tough to embed a video on this forum?
sorry…its been a long day on land today, but the memorys of yesterday have kept me smiling.
TGIF!
Just wanted to share some go pro video of yesterdays session.
I love the 11m xpd so much… and the jumbo mako man, F’n A!!
Awesome job OR!

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hey Craig! Keep posting ‘m man! I’m in the middle of a home & biz reconstruction myself, couldn’t really get out on the water also because I half ripped off my pinky finger ‘bout a month ago. Surgeon told me today it healed perfect so now the wind’s gone. Got antiqued 2010 gear laying around, how about that.
So I keep digging your riding and carving adventures out there in Seattle - not at all bad for a substitute.
Keep ‘m coming!

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

Craig…. nice session!!  Can you compare the 09 12M Rise with your new 11?  Would you say the low-end
is pretty close to the same and is the 11 much faster? I’m undecided on whether to purchase the 10 or 11.
Thanks, and keep up the videos…

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I have a 10m, and have been using this demo 11m too.
The 11m feels like it has better low end than the 09’12m because the venturi feels like
it can generate power effortlessly when you sine and make that kite race forward.
The top end…haven’t found that yet, but in 30 plus its an awesomely powerful experience.
I’m stoked!

hey el rudo…glad you are healed up and ready for wind.
please don’t rip your finger half off again OK?

CHEERS

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

lagocalima - 21 May 2010 10:29 PM

Craig…. nice session!!  Can you compare the 09 12M Rise with your new 11?  Would you say the low-end
is pretty close to the same and is the 11 much faster? I’m undecided on whether to purchase the 10 or 11.
Thanks, and keep up the videos…

thought about this some more and
the 10m feels more like my 7m and this 11m somehow feels like my 14m
this is a tough choice because you would dig either one I’m sure
when this 11m is away on a demo I forget all about it when the 10m is in my hands
...but sure enough, when I get a chance to pump the 11, I’m back in heaven.

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

craig myers - 21 May 2010 11:03 PM

I have a 10m, and have been using this demo 11m too.
The 11m feels like it has better low end than the 09’12m because the venturi feels like
it can generate power effortlessly when you sine and make that kite race forward.
The top end…haven’t found that yet, but in 30 plus its an awesomely powerful experience.
I’m stoked!

hey el rudo…glad you are healed up and ready for wind.
please don’t rip your finger half off again OK?

CHEERS

yeah thanks, 13 stitches around the base of such a small finger, not worth repeating.

Back on topic, by the looks of its behavior the 11 tends a little bit more towards the 13m, somewhere between the 10 and 13. But there’s something special about this years Rise, it’s the way it moves… stop, turn, lock, curve, super stable and precise, like how it would be in a computer game or so.
Also great to see how Graig milks power from that kite by pushing the bar out and pulling in once there’s air flowing, exactly how to maximize the venturi boost.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2009-01-17

PM

So does the 11m catch you better in the loops than an ‘09 12m?

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

If the new 10 flies similar to the 7, then maybe that’s the kite for me.  What would you say the low-end is of the
10 on a twin-tip and about 165 pounds?  I find the 09 12M, for me, has a small wind range; from about 13
to 17.  I would like to replace the 12 with either the 10 or 11 and really have no interest in kiting below 15 kts
and love the speed and feel of the smaller Rises.

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I weigh 210lbs, so I am a bit jealous of the low end you will have with a 10m,
especially with a directional or bigger board.
Give each a demo if you can, but if not then the 10m seems like a better choice

I’ve been using the smaller bar on all the sizes,
its perfect for the 10m and 7m,
and only slightly small for both the 11m and 14m, which has been great…feels like the bigger size kites fly super stable in the upper end of the power range with the small bar, but still can pivot with extreme bar input.
If you want to pivot the kite with less than extreme input( 45degrees), then I would go for the larger bar on the 11m and up.

here is some go pro of the 10m with the same bar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0JvysinHXA

(sorry, this other “new"computor won’t let me see the embedding window for some reason, new windows OS baloney)

Joined 2008-05-24

PM

Craig,  thanks very much for the info as I am unable to demo OR where I live.  I assume
you are using the new SLE bar with the 10, 11.  If I decided to go with the 10M using the 09
bar, which size bar would you recommend?  (or is the new bar that much more incredible?)

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

hmmm, good question.
keep in mind that the new bar is really 2 bars in one.
the 50cm is probably better than the 40cm in the 09’s and you’d be fine unless you have a lot of experience with
a 40cm bar (it might be a bit small for the low end of the kite)
-the new bar is 42/49, which right on for the 10m’s entire range.
I kept my 40cm 09’ and love it with the 7mXPD…hardly have to move my hands at all, but then I’ve only used this kite in storms when its been nuking gusty.
I could see using the 42/49 settings easy in a coastal setting or the gorge for better low end.
The surface and shape of the new control bar feels like something that has its roots in sailing to me.
It interfaces really good with my leather sailing gloves and is super precise and firm bare handed.