1 of 2
My Bar Sle 3.0 update
Posted: 07 May 2010 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2009-10-23

I modified my bar, it improves the speed for changing your power/depower settings while I am wave riding for example.
Take a look at it at the pictures below.

Posted: 08 May 2010 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

Sweet mod dude!
I could step into something like this super easy. cool smile

Posted: 08 May 2010 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2006-01-19

Have you considered moving your ‘safety line’ to a piece of spectra rope that goes through the bar & attaches to the ring below the swivel @ the front lines ? 

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 08 May 2010 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-23

Better to see ?
click on
    V

Posted: 09 May 2010 10:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2008-04-13
jl - 08 May 2010 03:26 PM

Have you considered moving your ‘safety line’ to a piece of spectra rope that goes through the bar & attaches to the ring below the swivel @ the front lines ? 

Hi JL,
that will not let the bar + chickenloop shoot up that front line, as the ring with the re-ride handle will block at the bar hole.

Posted: 10 May 2010 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  443
Joined  2006-10-24

Liking that.

Have you tried the safety in a decent wind? i suppose the big question is does it depower enough when you go to safety?

North Cleat though?  Tut tut

Signature 

The only kiter in the Village

Posted: 12 May 2010 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-11-03

The above the bar depower performs so much better all-around.  I wish Ocean Rodeo would drop this gimmicky below the bar depower.

Posted: 12 May 2010 05:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2009-08-20

No, leave the bar alone, perfection has been achieved…Above the bar depower sucks, the tail end of the depower comming out of the cleat wips around and also does not provide enough depower if you use the safety..Not enough throw or depower.

Posted: 12 May 2010 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  626
Joined  2006-03-24

I like both.
Its cool to see that this bar can go either way and get specific for the rider.
Good stuff can happen. grin

Posted: 12 May 2010 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-23
1956kiteboarder - 12 May 2010 05:07 PM

No, leave the bar alone, perfection has been achieved…Above the bar depower sucks, the tail end of the depower comming out of the cleat wips around and also does not provide enough depower if you use the safety..Not enough throw or depower.

Bullshit, the safety is long enough ! and the depower works very well

Posted: 13 May 2010 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2008-04-13

Vipers mod does for him what he needs, apparently the below the bar cleat does not work for him for quick trimming for unhooked moves or wave riding. For an above the bar solution I’ve got to admit these cleat versions are pretty clean.

Ocean Rodeo currently builds 2 types of kites, the Diablo which is a full-on C kite, with little trimming and a 5th line (or 4 if you like), and above the bar trim settings. This is available with the 2010 bar (I now see the gear section of this site needs an update here!). The other kite is the Rise venturi, which has the SLE 3.0 bar. The trim loop system with below the bar trim settings is time proven and liked by many.

Note that the trim loop as it is provided with the bars is matched to the Rise kites, and has some very strong benefits, one of them being full depower on the bar, with stopper override when the chickenloop safety is ejected. The Rise kites have a pulley in the bridle that is only activated when the bar is pushed out far; when the pulley rolls, the kites tow point moves forward to an extend that it won’t fly and falls to the side of the wind window waiting for instructions.
This is a safe, reliable and re-rideable safety feature that Ocean Rodeo chooses to provide with their top free ride Kite. To most riders the below the bar cleat system works OK even though it may take some getting used to for some.

Personally, I always ride powered up and hardly ever touch the trim system, only once or twice per session. Then again, I don’t unhook.

Posted: 13 May 2010 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Guru
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2006-01-19

Well said ‘El Rudo’: My only concern with the RISE bar is the lack of a ‘fifth line’ option for the safety :  From My BWD forum post: “A little cool this a.m. ... Waited for 5’c & the ebb tide ... Sweet session with buttery swells on the inside & gusty wind ... Broke the line holding my leg strap on the back of my old harness (My repair not O.R. & I didn’t use the brand new harness in my van !!!) Came in for a self landing: 1. walked to my usual spot near the gazebo & dove the kite into a leading edge down position @ the edge of the window towards the beach 2. reached for a fwd. line to pull the kite into the wind 3. kite relaunched 4. Noted the rope to the front lines had taken a turn OVER the left side of the bar 5. Let go of the bar 6. Ungracefully dragged about 70 ft. along the field as my 7m dove towards the rd. 7. Reached fwd. & grabbed my ‘Oh Shit’ handle after kite & myself stopped with the kite on the field next to the parking area (you know the one on a front line @ the outer pulley ) better late than never 8. with kite properly on the ground & leading edge into the wind I assessed the damage 9. Bruised ego & torn knee on wet suit ... I got off easy ... Lesson learned: 1. self landing in gusty conditions don’t get fancy, just find some open space down wind & toss the bar 2. consider putting the safety line @ the ‘oh shit’ handle on gusty days ... I could have used my release @ the chicken loop & kite would have flagged out from a front line ... Feel free to add your comments if they are constructive ... Thank you. p.s.: I’m so glad I was wearing a helmet !!!
” I’m considering adopting a setup that upon release of the safety @ the bar allows 4-5 meters of travel . After looking @ the North bar I see they have no need of a swivel @ the connection of the front lines ~ 21Meters from the kite & a single spectra rope runs down to the chicken loop ( & above bar adjustment in the N. case) as well as a ‘safety line’ that runs down through the bar & hook. ... I considered a line to my ‘Oh Shit handle but then the lines twist as the kite spins !!! I also noted the North bar has a swivel on the body of the hook, (just below the bar) another reasonable evolution ... I think we need to put brand loyalty aside as we adopt the safest systems possible !!! In light of this I’m wary of this suggested #2 modification:  http://oceanrodeo.com/forums/viewannounce/2201_7/

Signature 

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Posted: 22 June 2010 07:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-23

Finally for me !

Posted: 23 June 2010 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  434
Joined  2006-01-11

Interesting approach, and if it works better for you like this than props to you! However, (and this is just a guess since obviously I haven’t tried it) at a glance it appears that:

1) You no longer have the option to safety the kite simply by letting go of the bar like you can with the stock setup (when the stopper is all the way up). What you have is a ” semi suicide ” set up, which I am guessing is what you intended?

2) You may not have sufficient depower when you eject since the bar travel seems to be somewhat limited?

I’m stoked when I see people modding their gear and getting creative to suit personal style!

Cheers,

Evan

Signature 

Ocean Rodeo, US Sales

Hyperflex Wetsuits, US Sales

Posted: 23 June 2010 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-10-23

Maybe the ringstopper on this one-line from RRD is the solution.

Posted: 23 June 2010 08:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  112
Joined  2006-05-30

Another set-up to get you thinking about the possibilities ...

I don’t have SLE 3.0 bars yet, but made a simple change on some of my older OR bars to allow me to switch, while kiting, from leashed-to-trim-line to leashed-to-single-flying line. With this mod, at riskier launching spots I can start out leashed to a single front line, ride out to safety, park the kite and switch the leash to the trim line / below the bar position where it won’t get in the way spinning the bar. Then before coming in, I’ll switch back to single flying line so that if things get ugly when landing the kite I can flag it by releasing the chicken loop.

Simple mod, nothing fancy :

From the leashable front line, I’ve added an extension with a small tubing loop to about the lowest point I’d ever want the bar stopper to be. When not in use, the extension line is secured at the bar stopper by a stopper ball and a loop of elastic / bungee cord about the same diameter as that used on bar ends to secure wrapped up lines. The bungee cord’s stiffness holds it open in a loop about the same size as the ball on the extension line loop. Bungee’s attached to the bar stopper by a small hole right in the middle of the bar stopper and overhand knots on the bungee on both sides of the stopper. Close-up of the stopper :

After using this mod for about a year, it works even with cold hands in mitts, granted I still use a brass trigger snap on my leash, not the newer stainless snap that OR has gone to. Once the ball is inside the bungee loop, it stays put,  never had it come out on its own, and having a line off the adjustable stopper is handy for pulling the stopper back down if it goes way up the trim line in one of those bar-wrenching big wipe outs.

Yah, not the cleanest set-up, a bit dangly having that extension line up there, but for those crazy days I’d rather suffer a little clutter for the ability to easily flag the kite if need be.

Signature 

Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

1 of 2