Valves falling off

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2009-01-17

PM

Until recently my 09 Rises were performing all fantastic, but after a good year of use I started to get several issues with valves:
- Inflation valve delaminated from the bladder.
- Same thing happened on my other Rise a week later.
- Strut valve blew up after a crash.
- Deflation valve starts to come off as well.

When I was at a kite shop today the guy was pretty much bashing the construction, because the valves were not welded on like other manufacturers would do. According to him Slingshot had that problem in 2005, so after a while the valves all started to come off.
So I was wondering if this is a common problem, and if so, is that sorted out in the 2010 models?

I was planning to keep my kites for a while and don’t want to glue new valves on every now and then..

Total Posts: 65

Joined 2007-09-14

PM

Did u leave em in ur car on warm days?

Didnt happen to my Rise but it did happen do my older 12m RRD. I think it just got to hot in the car and some off the valves were coming off then.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2010-04-23

PM

Do you keep your kites in your car?

Joined 2009-01-17

PM

Yeah I had them in the car sometimes, because I usually take more than one kite to the beach.
It can get quite warm here in OZ, and I am not the only OR flyer who had this happening.
So if welding can prevent this, I suggest to put that on the feature list…

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I have not been made aware of this issue before. For 2010 we went to a moulded valve head in order to reduce strain on the valve itself as we were seeing some valve heads tear but not pull off the bladder themselves.

I will speak to our head of design and as that he look into this issue further. Thank-you for bringing it to our attention.

John Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Joined 2009-01-17

PM

No worries, as we say here smile
When the valve comes off, is it fine to glue it back on with some sort of strong glue, or am I running the risk of damaging the bladder?

Total Posts: 65

Joined 2007-09-14

PM

I use glue thats called ┬┤wonderlas┬┤ in dutch but i have no idea how its called in english.
Its for soft plastic.

Total Posts: 295

Joined 2008-04-20

PM

Yes, Wonderlas from Alabastine, http://www.alabastine.nl/wonderlas.html  in dutch… sorry.
Best product for bladder repair, valves repair etc, according the manual based on tetrahydrofuran (whatever that is..)
I’ve repaired a torn valve.. still ok now.

Joined 2008-11-03

PM

Do you have a Clarke Rubber store nearby (or similar?) or swimming pool store?

Just go in and ask for a pool vinyl repair kit. Cost is about $8 for a huge tube of glue and patch as a bonus.
I re glued all valves on 2 kites. Take out all your bladders and re glue the lot. I used about a quarter of the tube
to re glue an entire 12m and a 8m. By the end you will have the whole process down like a pro. Not one of them
now leaks and I could not pull the valve off when seeing how strong it holds. Not a single air leak when glueing
either so its super easy to use (and I just slapped them on, nothing fancy to hold them down).